PDA

View Full Version : About SET LINES....PLEASE READ

FISH_Stalker
18-10-2004, 06:06 PM
SET LINES

What is a set line?

A set line is an unattended fishing set up that gives the fish little chance of escape. This line would be tied to a tree or some other secure structure. For the angler or (hauler) it requires minimal unsporting effort. This is highly frowned upon by many sensible anglers.

Rules & Regulations:

Only a minority of the people use set lines. Most which don’t follow the rules, cause major damage to our native fish in river and impoundments.

NSW: Inland waters. (Waters other that notified trout waters):

Fishing in impoundments: Two attended lines NO SET LINES

Fishing in rivers east of the Great Divide: Two attended lines NO SET LINES

Fishing in rivers west of the Great Divide: One attended line UP TO FOUR SET LINES

Setlines must only have only one hook and to be tagged with your name and address.
(IT IS BEST TO NOT USE SET LINES)

VIC: Inland waters.

All areas up to two attended lines: SET LINES ARE NOT PERMITTED.

SA: Inland waters.

All areas up to two attended lines: SET LINES ARE NOT PERMITTED

Setlines are a major contributor to Murray Cod declination. People who fish set lines are fishing for meat. There is no skill involved, just checking it every now and then.
If undersized natives are caught and returned to the water they have little chance of survival and or injuries. (Stress, mouth injuries, internal and external injuries). At the National Zoo and Aquarium in Canberra there is a good example. In the native tank there is a big Murray Cod. He was caught by set lining about 200m from the Aquarium. There are rope holes under its mouth from where he was tied up.

While using this method there usually is a by-catch of species like Trout Cod, turtles, platypuses and some water birds. Set lines are killers.

Abandoned lines pollute our water ways. They kill birds and other water animals.

SAVE A COD. . . . CUT A SET LINE

JOEL RANDS

Jeremy
19-10-2004, 08:33 AM
I'll second what you wrote here. Well said Joel.

Jeremy

agnes_jack
19-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Been seeing (and cutting) set lines in some of my favorite jack creeks lately too!!!

>:( >:( >:( >:( :'( :'( :'( [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

mini696
19-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Yep done the same... Cut a set line whenever I see one.

I cut one in the Boyne River 2 years ago which had caught a nice Jack. I hope its still alive, (I cut the line and kept the fish upright (swam it), but it was in a real bad way when I released it, gave a nice kick, but after the stress it went through...

mini696
19-10-2004, 10:28 AM
What are the rules for QLD??

jimbob
19-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Set lines isnt the fishing we know & love. But we are the ones that pay the price. We do the right thing limit our catch dont catch dont catch our limit & what for so some d#*k can go & set lines. That really sux.

mini696
19-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Still I would prefer professional fisherman to be accountable for ALL their bycatch.... Just as we are. At least a set line will only take out one fish at a time... But that may be a breeder or similar... Nothing will change my mind to "set lines are OK"... I hate them. Cut them all and hang the crabpot raiders with them....

I read an interesting law on the DPI site... It says its illegal to jag or foul hook a fish. How can you avoid it?? Thats a pretty silly law. You cant tell if you've foul hooked a fish until its next to your boat.

"The following activities are illegal throughout Queensland:

Jagging or foul hooking fish."

agnes_jack
19-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Mini
Another practise that some d#$% heads use is berlying up schools of fish, usually small bream mullet etc, then drop a line with 10 or more hooks hanging off it, and rip it up thru the school. This usually results in a heap of undersize fish being killed.

Regards, Tony

cHiCo
19-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Another example is people gaffing free swimming fish when they are schooling near boats in plague proportions. I read something about that on here when the spotties were thick in the bay.

FISH_Stalker
19-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks fellas, i just hate the bloody things.They should be banned in NSW. And or the government needs to employ some more fishing inspectors. Maybe that is a career for me when I leave school.

mini696
19-10-2004, 01:33 PM
That makes a lot of sense thanks.