PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Hinchinbrook

LGM
14-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi all, new member so go easy, a group of 6 of us is planning a trip to the Hinchinbrook area next year. Any tips on when is best? I have a 4.5m boat and there will be a bigger boat going as well and the thinking is we get a house boat and use it is a base. All go thoughts but is it the best way to go? Any thought on using Lucinda as a base? And any accommodation tips that worked well. NOT ASKING MUCH.

nonibbles
14-10-2004, 04:11 PM
I'm not too sure but off the top of my head I think I can remember that um let me get myself together aw gee I don't know but anyway...
the two main houseboat companies that operate in the area both offer a tinnie with the houseboat as part of the package. You may save yourself some fuel and maybe some heartache (repairs etc.) by checking this with whatever company you end up renting through.
I think er I'm not sure but... whatever. ::)
Sorry, just been speaking with teenagers. It rubs off on ya a bit.

cooky
15-10-2004, 05:13 AM
Go from Lucinda, Taylors beach, Cardwell, or Hinchbrook marine cove.

A friend said that Hinchinbrook cove apparently has accommodation and as a guest you can moore your boat - handy for having a good place to stay and not have to mess around with trailers.

Lucinda - ring Ingham Real Estate (there is a couple - www.whitepages.com.au and ask for houses (accom) beachfront if possible (good prices).

Otherwise the Houseboat is a great idea - go for it. Never been on one, but we've been thinking about it for years.

Mad_Barry
15-10-2004, 06:43 AM
House boat is a good option,

try

www.hinchinbrookrentayacht.com.au

Nice & easy at the end of the day to just tie off the tinny, step aboard to a fresh shower, a cold beer and a BBQ. The included tinnys are a pretty small tender only type (5hp I think). Take your own. Did the houseboat a few yrs ago 6 blokes, 3 tinnies. Top trip.

major-defect
16-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Hi there,the house boat at Hinchinbrook is a great idea.I went out from Cardwell on 1.We went out to Missionary bay,8 or 9 creeks all in to the same bay and Gould island a few minutes away for reef and pelargic species.Bit of everything a relly great spot. Paul

Leo_N.
16-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Bramble, Brittomart, Walker and Trunk reefs are all within close range. Just remember that Trunk is a yellow zone, and be aware of seasonal closures.

notts_so
17-10-2004, 06:40 AM
House boats are great i was unlucky enouth to have my hunny moon on one with my understanding wife and it was on of the best weeks ive had at cardwell in years .On the time to go ide be trying to get there around oct/nov before it gets to hot (water temp also) the fishing starts to get a bit vigouras this time of the year

LGM
19-10-2004, 05:40 AM
Thanks all , I will let you know if anything else comes up as far as accommodation and locations. LGM

notts_so
19-10-2004, 07:53 AM
There is a beech house at cardwell i stayed in last year 130 night has every thing just need food and piss ill let you no the name when i speak to the wife shes got a memory like a opps best not go any further

clutter
19-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Just came back on Saturday from Hinchenbrook. Last time we took a houseboat from Cardwell but couldn't get one this time so hired a unit at Dungeness. $440 for 6 days I think and only 100m from the boat ramp and is located on top of the shop/Restaraunt complex and airconditioned with enough beds for about 9 or 10 people (9 if 1 in d/bed).

We will be looking at hiring a houseboat for next year, nothing wrong with the unit but when the wind is up a bit its a bloody long flog across and up the channel to get to the best Barra areas. Best bet is to get a houseboat from either end of the channel (Cardwell or Lucinda/Dungeness) and travel to Deluge Creek and anchor there. This puts you in roughly the middle of things and its quick and easy to get wherever you want to go. Just have to do and ice run every 3 days or so.

The houseboat option allows you to get out of the sun during the middle of the day (if the tides are high) and cuts down your running time. We're looking at booking one for next year now. Keep in mind the closed Barra season when choosing your dates.

Cheers, Clutter

clutter
20-10-2004, 06:13 AM
Just another thing to keep in mind. If you don't already have lures to use up there, don't worry about getting too many down here as you can purchase some excellent ones at Lucinda from Lou and Rhonda at Lucinda Lures. Lou has lived and fished there all his life and the lures he makes really do work. I bought 5 and caught fish on all of them. He will also give you an excellent rundown of the whole Hinchenbrook area and where to catch them. Best of all they start at about $8 each for a timber lure. Fantastic action and you can walk them through just about any snag around.

Cheers, Clutter