PDA

View Full Version : Twin Battery Set Up

redspeckle
20-10-2004, 09:32 AM
I'm about to install a twin battery set up to my boat with an isolater switch that switches to either Batt1, Batt2 or Both The switch came with no instructions and thats where i'm looking for advice There are 3 terminals on the back of the switch Batt1, Batt2 and feeder I would like to know if the feeder terminal connects directly to the positive cable on the boats motor
I'm also a little confused about how the wiring is set up i.e Nav lights, Radio, Gps etc that is all connected to Batt1 That if i do have a battery fail on me while out on the water, and i switch to the second unit these devices will no longer operate I'm wondering if the feeder cable should be routed through the main power box so in the case of a battery fail all Navagation equipement will still be operational
Any advice will be greatly appreciated cheers :-/

Fishin_Dan
20-10-2004, 09:43 AM
Having not seen your switch/setup, I assuming it would be something similar to this pic (I did it in Paint, so it is crap!)

The switch would be installed between the positive cable of your battery, and the positive input to your boats wiring. Hope it helps.

P.S - I could be very wrong about this too! Just depends on the setup of the wiring in your boat.

Payneful
20-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Red

Be careful about switching the switch with the motor running, you could zap your voltage regulator and possibly your electronics ($000's), unless your switch is a make before break type.

Just a thought

Sam.

Fishin_Dan
20-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Red

Be careful about switching the switch with the motor running, you could zap your voltage regulator and possibly your electronics ($000's), unless your switch is a make before break type.

Just a thought

Sam.

Oops, forgot to mention that! Good point!

Definately make sure all power is shut down before throwing the switch.... Worst case scenario - it might look like throwing the switch at Riverfire! ;) ;D He he he

bidkev
20-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi Red,

There is a thread in the boating section entitled dual battery setup...I've just completed mine and was thrown by the fact that I already had an isolator. Try reading that

This may also help

cheers

kev