PDA

View Full Version : News Release - Monitoring mackerel stocks

QLD_Fisheries
20-10-2004, 12:12 PM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/16131.html

The information contained in this document is distributed by the Queensland Government for information purposes only. All reasonable steps have been made to ensure the information is accurate at the time of publication. For more information visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

Lucky_Phill
20-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Latest DPI&F news | DPI&F news search | Newsletters | Newsletter search | News FAQs
28 September, 2004

DPI&F calling on fishers to help to monitor mackerel stocks
Commercial and recreational fishers are being encouraged to assist the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) with its monitoring of Spanish and spotted mackerel stocks.

The DPI&F Long-Term Monitoring Program has been expanded to ensure the sustainability of these popular commercial and recreational fish species.

As its name suggests, the program collects information about fish stocks over a number of years to assess the effectiveness of fisheries management strategies in protecting and conserving fisheries resources.

DPI&F fisheries biologist Jonathan Staunton-Smith said the expanded sampling program for mackerel would build on information from previous monitoring projects as well as two important Fisheries Research and Development Corporation-funded projects.

“The Spanish and spotted mackerel program is being expanded to collect information on the size, sex and age structure of east coast mackerel stocks by examining commercial and recreational catches,” Dr Staunton-Smith said.

As part of this program, recreational fishers will be asked to provide researchers with intact fish frames (not gilled and gutted) to help them collect the necessary information from each fish.

The same information will be obtained for commercial catches at seafood processors and wholesalers and from cooperating commercial fishers.

Dr Staunton-Smith said like many other species, length of mackerel on its own was not a good indicator of age.

However, Dr Staunton-Smith said the age of the fish could be determined from the otoliths or ear bones.

“In mackerel, length is not a good indicator of age because there is a large degree of variability in their individual growth rates and females also grow faster than males,” he said.

“Determining the age distribution of Spanish and spotted mackerel stocks along the east coast will help assess current management practices, which include recent changes to recreational size and possession limits and a cap on annual commercial catches.”

Dr Staunton-Smith said DPI&F scientists would be contacting recreational and commercial fishers, processors and bait and tackle shops asking for their assistance.

“We will be relying on the assistance of these groups to collect samples all along the east coast between Cairns and Tweed Heads,” he said.

“The more information we gather, the greater certainty we have in ensuring Spanish and spotted mackerel stocks are maintained at sustainable levels for future generations of Queenslanders.”

For more information about the DPI&F Long-Term Monitoring Program and how to assist the monitoring of Spanish and spotted mackerel, visit www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fisheriesmonitoringprogram.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further information: Dr Staunton-Smith (Deception Bay) +61 7 3817 9535 Darren Rose (Cairns) +61 7 4035 0108
Media Officer: Liz Smith Ph: +61 7 3224 7757
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Media Unit
GPO Box 46 Brisbane Qld 4001. Fax +61 7 3239 0860
DPI&F Call Centre 8am-6pm weekdays on local call 13 25 23

Lucky_Phill
20-10-2004, 12:32 PM
"As part of this program, recreational fishers will be asked to provide researchers with intact fish frames (not gilled and gutted) to help them collect the necessary information from each fish. "

not to sure exactly what this is. sort of sounds like they want a " whole ' fish. I will confirm this.

Phill

NQCairns
20-10-2004, 01:04 PM
Mayby it's just me >:( but untill they start listening to recfisherman and responding in a timely maner, they get nothing but boo from me. Want our help sheeeee....sh.

baldyhead
20-10-2004, 03:24 PM
My sentiments exactly NQ....
F'N BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Fishinmishin
20-10-2004, 04:51 PM
I'm also conducting a study. I will accept whole fish of the mackeral, reddies, or any other tasties for my research. ;D ;D

notts_so
21-10-2004, 03:01 AM
Im with fishinmishin my study been open for years and just like the one these clowns are doing i didnt get much response .Sound like another closed season or something of simla effect going to happen :-X

BigE
21-10-2004, 06:59 AM
DPI&F fisheries biologist Jonathan Staunton-Smith said the expanded sampling program for mackerel would build on information from previous monitoring projects as well as two important Fisheries Research and Development Corporation-funded projects. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? corporation-funded???? does anyone know of a rec. fishing corporation :-X :-X :-X :-X read between the lines people or be prepared to not have your lines in the water. on a side note does any know of a time when the rec fisho actually got increase in either bag limits/fishin area / closed season outa one of these survey's ??? ??? ??? just wondering??? and how come these type of fishing stocks are always refered to as (The DPI&F Long-Term Monitoring Program has been expanded to ensure the sustainability of these popular COMMERICAL and recreational fish species.) and you never see em call a RECREATIONAL and commerical fish species. makes you think about where you rate with goverment on the food chain. :o :o

bugman
21-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Gents,

This is the same research that lead to the closure of commercial seine netting for mackeral.

Bugman

nofrills
21-10-2004, 09:28 AM
why when i hear about mackeral studies is it always spotties and spanish.id reccon these days the school mackeral is probably targeted more than spotties and the bag limit of 30 on the schoolie is way to high,maybe there are still to many schoolis around and we have to flog the crap out of them as well before studies are done.or maybe the $ per kg is not high enough yet. ;)