PDA

View Full Version : I'm singing in the rain!!!

mini696
21-10-2004, 06:21 AM
How great is this rain??

Not for fishing at the moment but great for out dams and rivers.

What I want to know is the consequences of the rain??

What happens to a river system when it rains?? Do the fish follow the nutrients upstream?? Or do they follow the fresh down??

What do individual species do?? I have heard Barra will follow the fresh upstream.

Will this make the mouths fish better (more flow) or worse (more silt).

I believe the extra flow in the rivers will also uproot more bait (and expose/bury structure).

Thoughts??

Glug
21-10-2004, 06:58 AM
I hate the muddy taste some fish and eels get after heavy rain. that is about my knowledge on the subject

Mick
21-10-2004, 08:25 AM
Yep, central Qld got a long awaited shower last night and I hope there is more!

I think salinity levels have got a lot to do with where fish can be found after heavy rain.

Decent Jacks can be caught miles upsteam after creeks flood. I think like the Barra, the Jacks do this for breeding. Breeding Mangrove Jacks are normaly bigger then 50cm.

I have found Jew, Cod, fingermark and Grunter seem to be on the chew before the rains while Barra and Jacks after the rains. Not sure about other species.

I'll attach a photo of fish caught last week end in the creek. (Fingermark, Jew, Grunter, Trevally)

cod_botherer
21-10-2004, 12:48 PM
I read somewhere that when a big fresh comes through a creek, the baitfish can't handle it too well and get "drunk" making them an easy target for predators thus getting them on the chew.

Pissed fish, who'da thought?

Fishin_Dan
21-10-2004, 12:50 PM
I read somewhere that when a big fresh comes through a creek, the baitfish can't handle it too well and get "drunk" making them an easy target for predators thus getting them on the chew.

Pissed fish, who'da thought?

If anyone sees me lying in a creek during a big fresh, please don't try to catch me!!! ;D ;D ;D Just trying to save money on beer! he he he

basserman
21-10-2004, 01:06 PM
well i know that bass like two times of floods
just before summer if it floods and the river rises it makes it easyer for the big females to get down stream for breeding while after winter from about august the bass like the floods to help them up stream and with a flooding river like now it will mean alot more of the bigger bass will be able to get right up the river to where they will be safer from fishing presure
(by flooding i mean any river rise and not the broken banks full on type of floods)
but also i have noticed that at the river mouths after the dirty water is comeing out is a prime time to use lives or lures off the break walls for jews and other palagics while it is also a good time when the weather clears up to get outside and start to troll the lures around the dirty clean line for things like marlin tuna and others ;D

mini696
21-10-2004, 01:20 PM
I suppose the bait is washed downstream too.

basserman
21-10-2004, 02:17 PM
yeh well thats why alot of the bigger fish sit at the mouths of the rivers after a good rain
all that freash pushes alot of mullet down stream that would otherwise be well and trully up in the top of the brackish waters

i love the rain! makes fishing great and doesn't hurt the land ether ;D