PDA

View Full Version : Beastmaster/fish mounting

Quinny69
27-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know a good taxedemist in Bris? Do you have any pics of there work?
Beastmaster, about 2yrs ago you got a Bass done, How did it turn out? how much? Thanks for any help. m Quinn

uncle_barry
27-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Hi Matt.
Mounting fish, now that shouldn't be a problem to you. ;)

Yes, you can mount fish yourself.
With a little guidence, its fairly easy, with the first the hardest, of course.
A full skin mount, that very hard to produce a good suitable outcome, thats lasting.
A fibreglass mount, thats fairly easy, the painting is the hardest part.

You have my phone number, if you care to phone, I will run you through the 'how to' as its too long to write for my fingers.
For anyone else, who would wish to or try to, mount a fish, feel free to email me.
I've mounted fish from a 130pound Black Marlin down.
Regards.
Barry.

Quinny69
27-10-2004, 07:34 PM
They only look good when there done really well, nothing looks worse than a badly done fish. Have you got any pics of your work Barry?. MQ

BeastMaster
28-10-2004, 04:25 PM
Attached is a photo of the stuffed bass. Let me know if you want the phone number of the lady taxidermist. She charges by the cm . I think it cost me about $100 cannt remember now. She does it from home she lives off Rochdale Rd .Regards Beastmaster.

uncle_barry
29-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Hi Matt.
Is this what your looking for, the Trout is in the right corner.

Barry.

Fitzy
29-10-2004, 06:57 PM
I've had a couple done by Fletcher Morrow in Ipswich. He was actually recommended to me by 2 other taxidermists I rang when a fish carked it on me.
He does do a very good job & I can recommend him. At his house he has everything from mud geckos to marlin, he good.
Anyway, this bass skin mount below cost $250, from memory it was around 3.2kg & 52 or 53cm long from Big W. He also does fibreglass moulds & paints them up pretty good. I've got a saratoga here that he did as well.
http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/gallery/images/BassMount.jpg

Quinny69
29-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Thats a beauty Fitz, I like how hes all "flared up" too. Me and the World Champ nearly had a nice fish die the other night, it just wouldnt swim, I was wondering on the costs and thinking if I had the ph no of a good taxademist to rush it to STAT, he,d look good on the wall. The fish musta heared this and got its 2nd wind,slowly swam off. Im planing on geting 1 mounted though (a bigger 1). Ill get his details off ya.
Barry, very good job, nice air brushing, I couldnt do it.
Thanks guys Matt Quinn

Fitzy
29-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Matt,
I asked Fletcher what the best thing to do if you get a fish you want to mount.
He said:
Wrap the fish in newspaper & put it in the freezer with the best looking side facing upwards. If no newspaper is available, a stocking or some material will suffice. Wrapping stops freezer burn I think he said.
Freeze ASAP & then get it to him at your leisure.

Can track his number if ya want it. Had his card here some place but lost it in this jungle of an office.

fitz

Quinny69
30-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Fitz, It be great to get his ph no, thanks. By the way, Im not planing on killing a freshwater native, or anything bad, just a big poon or herring, hopefully, 1 thats gonna die of old age in the neer future anyway ;D. cheers MQ

allniter
31-10-2004, 05:03 AM
Hi, Back in april 04 we caught this 5.5 kg and 80cm snapper at mud island - our biggest snapper to date - not huge by snapper standards, but we were wrapped at finally landing one this size from inside the bay.
After much thought , it was decided to get it stuffed by a particular guy who advertises in B & B regularly ;).
We were told " you'll even get most of the meat back to eat, and it will look just like when it came out of the water !!
Well $400 and three months later he drops back a fish that looks similar to something you'd find in crazy clarks ::) ::)
When asked about the meat..... he replied while scratching his head , oh i think i ate it .. sorry. :o :o :o
Up close it's pretty rough, with a lot of scales missing, excessive glue around one eye, and sealer globules hanging off the dorsal fin... oh and the colour !!! :P
Next time { if we ever arse another one } she'll be straight on the barby!! ;D ;D
Just trying to say - be careful - it's hard when you pay for work you havn't seen first.
regards darren

webby
31-10-2004, 05:35 AM
That one pretty looking red thing ???, sure it was a snapper mate. ;D
regards