PDA

View Full Version : Bait nets

devocean
05-11-2004, 06:12 AM
I am in the process of purchasing a new cast net. I have traditionally used the normal cast net with pockets however I have been sussing out the other kind where there is a drawstring down the centre which pulls through when pulling in. Has any one used these before and if so are they better or worst than the old style pocket nets? Keep in mind that the answer to this question could mean less catches of barra and jack and my fishing partner could get cranky.

cod_botherer
05-11-2004, 06:26 AM
I just bought a 12 ft draw sting style after throwing an 8 foot pocket style for 20 years.

I regret it. Mostly its too big and heavy for my puny frame, but the draw strings are a pain too. I might be wrong but they appear to be designed for throwing from a boat where you have to bring the thing staight up. Throwing from land makes it a nightmare - impossiple to set up again. If you want to do both, get the pocket style.

Cheers

Mick
05-11-2004, 06:36 AM
Too right your fishing partner will get cranky!

baldyhead
05-11-2004, 09:03 AM
The best way to find out which 1 is suitable for you Devo is to go with someone who has both or 2 mates with 1 each.
I have used the conventional net with and without pockets for 40 years and have also used the draw string type for about 10 years now. I have 2 drawstring and 3 conventional, 2 with pockets by the way.
Both types have their uses and really only you can tell which one's for you.
I like the draw string net personally for ALL types of bait gathering from the boat, jetty and bank and find that it doesn't fill up with leaves,rocks or other debris and that a simple shake of the net will drop all of its contents at your feet. The other thing that I do is when gathering sardines I hold the net in the water and the sards descale themselves while swimming around in the envelope that is created when you pull the lead line into the top of the net.

cheers baldy