PDA

View Full Version : genral question.

bigal
03-11-2004, 02:20 PM
If you service you're own reels what oil/spray do you use and why?

bidkev
04-11-2004, 02:02 PM
If you service you're own reels what oil/spray do you use and why?

Overheads:

Opened my 7000's for the first time in 5 yrs and they've done a lot of beach work with no probs. I still have the Abu oil that came with 'em well over 12 yrs ago.

I never use soapy water to clean 'em as that degreases 'em. The Penns get Pennlube and the Shimanos and Okumas have yet to be touched. The tolerance between the spool and side plate is that fine, I don't think much crap could get in there.

The fixed spool reels are a different matter. I oil 'em regularly with an oil made by Plus Products at Coorparoo and grease 'em with a grease marketed by jarvis walker.

If the cars running......don't lift the bonnet, is my motto.

cheers

kev

dfox
04-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Give the outer casing a "light" spray and wipe over with inox, including all the working parts..

Derek Bullock
04-11-2004, 02:20 PM
After every trip I wash all my reels in clean water then give them a spray of CRC Tackle Guard.

Its a great product and wont harm your lines.

Derek

CHRIS_aka_GWH
04-11-2004, 03:02 PM
I own an Alvey - every so often I smother it in tailor blood, roll it in sand & dip it in the ocean. #;D

Its a bit complicated & can take a whole evening but seems to keep them working OK. ;)

seeyainthesurf,

chris

bidkev
05-11-2004, 05:27 AM
I own an Alvey - every so often I smother it in tailor blood, roll it in sand & dip it in the ocean. #;D

Its a bit complicated & can take a whole evening but seems to keep them working OK. #;)

seeyainthesurf,

chris

Yeah Chris! That's why I don't use 'em........bit too complicated for me ;-).......and anyway, they'd only cark on me as I can't seem to find any tailor blood........would cattie slime do as a stand in? :-)

cheers

The Verminator

bigal
05-11-2004, 05:54 AM
Yeah thats good fellas. but i am using smaller reels for bigger fish and the oil inside them drys out after a month. bearings get a tad noisy with no oil. i also use tackle guard but it dryes out very quickly. gotta agree with kingtin, i had a 6500c3 (first real overhead) for four years, used it to chase jacks,trevs, mac tuna... pretty much anything and after that time all it needed was a lil oil. i am using tri flow now which seems ok. thanks for you're info guys.

Remo
05-11-2004, 08:33 AM
I'm with dfox, Inox sprayed all over and then wiped off.
No probs!

bignick
05-11-2004, 04:31 PM
On the spinning reels and the Alveys, I use Lanogard lanolin grease. It's good and it doesn't wash off and it is an excellent corrosion inhibitor. Also use it on the prop shaft on my outboard and on trailer parts. CRC spray or similar is good on reels, as is Inox and Lanox (Lanolin spray). A good hose down with fresh water after fishing is a must before anything and lube the reels after giving them a day or two to dry out properly. Just remember to keep all the lubricants off your fishing line.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

straddie
05-11-2004, 04:44 PM
I use an almost identical method to Chris :)

Verminator, the catty slime would probably be ok but might have a detrimental effect on the drag system, so I would suggest wiping your right hand on your pants after application. ;D

bidkev
05-11-2004, 05:33 PM
I use an almost identical method to Chris :)

Verminator, the catty slime would probably be ok but might have a detrimental effect on the drag system, so I would suggest wiping your right hand on your pants after application. #;D

White stains on my strides after I'd told the deckie I was out for the day fishing [smiley=oops.gif].........she'd *really* love that! [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=argue.gif]

The Verminator

Fishinmishin
05-11-2004, 09:30 PM
Also with Foxy. Can't beat the Inox for protection but not the best smell to get on your line. If spraying in a hurry WD40 doesn't do too much damage and as the smell goes, some of the older fishermen probably remember spraying WD40 on Marlin lures as an attractant. (Does anyone still do this?) I use good old small bit boating grease for inside the reel when needed.