PDA

View Full Version : Cast Nets.

mini696
04-11-2004, 05:50 AM
Hi guys and girls,

I want to gain knoweldge on cast nets. I'm OK throwing them, and can catch my fair share of mullet. But I would like to know your thoughts on the different types of nets.

Personally I use an 8 foot drawstring. Its made from mono, and works reasonably good. As for advantages and disadvantages of it, I would say the drawstring feature means the net doesn't open as far as it should, but it seems to catcht the bigger fish easier than a pocket net.

If I had my time over again, I would go for at least a 9 foot drop, but get a pocket net instead of the drawstring.

I have used nylon (cotton?) pocket nets before, and they are great to use fo rthe first few casts. But unless you can catch all your bait in the first 5-10 casts, it gets so heavy its hard to cast. Being more expensive is a drawback for these too. I find them harder to mend too, but that may just be me.

So what are your experiences with cast nets??

Regards
Mick K

zedjack33
04-11-2004, 06:20 AM
I found that with a drawstring / umbrella net, that you gotta go up in size. Ive got a 12ft drop and find it bloody easy to cast. Having said that I also have a cotton so that’s probably the reason. With the drawstring type you gotta know the ground you are working because if you get a snag these buggers are plenty of trouble to retrieve without doing damage. I also have another net, a 12 ft drop scallop with a top pocket. I reck’n that these are the go. I’ve had much more success with these because when the prawns hit the top of the net they stay there and then you still get the stragglers in the bottom pockets. They have an easy access loop hole at the top to get the prawns that have been caught up there. They are also easier to get off snags as I work around the edge of the net, never trying to pull the whole thing out at once because then your asking for trouble.

Just my thoughts
Cheers Zedjack33 [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

Richo1
05-11-2004, 05:36 AM
I agree with Zedjack.
Just bought a 12ft drop and can cast it much better than my old 9ft. the bigger the net the eaiser to cast. Can catch bait a lot quicker but it does get a bit heavy after a big bait chasing session.
Cheers Richo

Dug
05-11-2004, 02:34 PM
I just want to learn how to throw the suckers!!

I saw a guy using a simple system in Cooktown but did not have time to check out the details.

DNO40
05-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Dug,

Check the Hints and Tips Directory ::)

Dug
05-11-2004, 09:09 PM
I still keep ending up inside the net ;D [smiley=dunce.gif] ;D

Zeeke
05-11-2004, 09:52 PM
i might have time to show you one day Dug.. ive used em ;)

Tim

Dug
06-11-2004, 03:55 AM
Thanks Tim

Maria
06-11-2004, 05:35 AM
Mono over cotton any day. Cotten is heavy when wet, easier to break, harder to repair and requires more maintenance after use. If it's not rinsed and washed in fresh water and allowed to dry out thoroughly, it will rot and become brittle eventually.

I like a mono net about 8 of 9ft.

Ben