PDA

View Full Version : Battery Help! Cameras:-)

Dug
05-11-2004, 09:01 PM
With a lot of people buying Digital cameras I thought I should post this for you to have a look at.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

The basics are that Lithium and Nm-Hi rechargeable batteries have a limited life-span but this can be maximized by good care. The main cause of camera and battery abuse is NOT using them enough!

If you have rechargeable batteries think of them the same a a car battery if you leave it in the shed for 6 months and then try to start the car ... Nothing.

I had an early set of Nm-Hi "AA" batteries in my kit ( 24 "AA" batteries in total) They lasted for 4 years and were still working when I upgraded from 1,600ma to 2,500ma new batteries.

Same story for Lithium Ion batteries if you aren't using them you are abusing them.

So either pull the camera out every month and use it or GO FISHING!!!!! and take some shots of the catch!

cheers doug

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

bidkev
06-11-2004, 05:14 AM
There's a quick discharge facility on the fujis (bit like my nightime performances) :-)

Whenever I get home I always discharge the batteries (and the spares) and recharge them. I never d/load to my pc with batteries that aren't freshly charged. A failure at that time can cost you your pics.

cheers

kev

Glug
06-11-2004, 06:50 AM
I never download direct to PC, I copy and paste check that they are on the hard disk then do a delete on the camera. I lost a full days shooting once dumping them onto the hard disk, true it is a lot faster but dodgy. Batteries, I run mine flat every time before charging about 4 years still ok but I have 3 batteries which I use on both vidio and digital and a 4 hour battery for the vidio.

Tezza985
06-11-2004, 07:41 AM
How come Dug and Glug are always on the same topic??? ;D ;

I don't know why, but taking the batteries out of the camera seems to make them last a lot longer. I supose it has something to do with power drain.

Also i use an AC adaptor to download pics onto the hard drive.

bidkev
06-11-2004, 12:09 PM
How come Dug and Glug are always on the same topic??? ;D ;

<snip>
Also i use an AC adaptor to download pics onto the hard drive.

I'm a Pomm! I'm too bloody tight to buy one! :-)

Dug
06-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Maybe Glug is my evil twin, who was separated at birth and sent into the institution for the criminally insane, but escaped and has taken up the guise of mild mannered fishing and photo person but is just waiting to take revenge on the society who judged him.

Oops sorry Glug I think I may be the evil twin...sorry.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D [smiley=laola.gif]

bidkev
06-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Dug, I saw your wish if you won the lotto. Sold my Hassie 500c and wide when I first got here, also a 300 milly. Put them in for a service and was told that they needed a complete "regrease" as they use different stuff in Europe. They wanted 1500 bucks to service the 3 and 3 backs! Sold the buggers when I was skint and only got 5500 for the lot.

I've never taken a pic since that didn't look grainy. Once you've used a hassie, everything else seems crap :-(

I'd buy another tomorrow if I came into money.

cheers

kev

Dug
06-11-2004, 02:30 PM
I HATE HASSELLBLADS!!! could never get used to them or get my hands round them beautiful optics but I used Mamiya 645 and 67 or 5" X 4" Sinar or Lindhof

The Sinar for the studio and the Lindhof for the field camera and I'm out of here.

Did you see it has gone up to 21 million? Now if only I had enough money to buy a ticket ;D