PDA

View Full Version : Rex the Hunt.

SeaHunt
06-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Anyone heard that add on radio where Rex is sprouting the benefits of some lawn fertilizer that contains mostly fish. ???

Now maybe I am a bit slow in the head, but I can't see that pulling tonnes of fish out of the sea just to mulch up and put on your lawn is a good thing. :P
Is Rex in anyway concerned about sustainable piscatorial practices or is that just for the cameras/money. ::)

DR
06-11-2004, 07:58 AM
Probably made with Carp..

Black_Rat
06-11-2004, 08:24 AM
It would be hard to believe Rex would support an orginisation if he knew that they pillaged fish from the sea just for fertilizer, more info needed on the source of fish. ie: watse product, vermin (Carp or catties ;D) ect. before I can make an educated judgement on this. #;) ;D
Damo.

Maria
06-11-2004, 08:29 AM
I think you'll find it's carp, tilapia or other noxious species. If not, it would be the frames and guts etc from fish markets after filleting....just as scraps from stock at the meatworks are used in blood and bone etc.

Ben

SeaHunt
06-11-2004, 09:02 AM
Well it would be good if it was carp.. [smiley=smash.gif] or even better grinners from Morten Bay. [smiley=stare.gif]
I will have to remember the name of the stuff if I hear the add again and check it out. :-/

Glug
06-11-2004, 09:18 AM
I lived in a town where at one time fish manure was one of the main industries. All the fish that was not sold at the market went to the fertiliser factory. Encouraging over fishing or just good economics saving waste?

propdinger
06-11-2004, 09:21 AM
but if all the grinners were gone there would be nothing left to fill in the time with.....lol
thanks adamleah and maria for the curse ::) :-X

len_t
06-11-2004, 09:36 AM
THE AD IS FOR CHARLIE CARP, WHICH COULD ONLY BE A GOOD THING.
HAVE TRIED CATCHING THE BLUDGERS OUT WEST ON EVERY BAIT AND LURE,
AND COULDN'T CATCH ONE. NOW I USE A SPECIAL LURE IN SOME BORE DRAINS
CALLED A 22-250 {RESPONSIBLY OF COURSE}.
REX HAS NOW RETIRED FROM HIS FISHING SHOW I HEARD?
LEN

lordy
06-11-2004, 10:15 AM
LEN

I hear those lures are only good for one cast, expensive way to catch carp (But fun!!!). Also works well on cane toads in puddles.

bidkev
06-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Well it would be good if it was carp.. #[smiley=smash.gif] or even better grinners from Morten Bay. #[smiley=stare.gif]
I will have to remember the name of the stuff if I hear the add again and check it out. # :-/

The more grinners the better for Mackerel stocks. I've read a couple of times now that mackerel will feed on 'em almost exclusively when they're plentiful. Now ring netting is banned, it will be interesting to see if grinners decline just as they seemed to increase with mackerel decline.

cheers

kev

bidkev
06-11-2004, 12:06 PM
LEN

Best way to catch 'em is to prebait a swim regularly with a bait known only to yourself (such as corn, boiled spud or best of all, luncheon). Turn up one day with the hook bait the same as the pre bait and no bugger else will get a look in.

cheers

kev

dfox
06-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Verminator- those bloody mackeral eating all your grinners ,what a scarey thought! LOL
Kev ive heard the same large numbers of grinner coorespond with poor mackeral seasons, lets all hope the grinner cop it from the macks this season...foxy

bidkev
06-11-2004, 01:12 PM
Verminator- those bloody mackeral eating all your grinners ,what a scarey thought! LOL
Kev ive heard the same large numbers of grinner coorespond with poor mackeral seasons, lets all hope the grinner cop it from the macks this season...foxy

As long as those mackerel leave the catties alone the deckie will be happy.................and fed ;-)

The Verminator

GES
06-11-2004, 04:33 PM
The more grinners the better for Mackerel stocks. I've read a couple of times now that mackerel will feed on 'em almost exclusively when they're plentiful. Now ring netting is banned, it will be interesting to see if grinners decline just as they seemed to increase with mackerel decline.

cheers

kev

Grants Guide to Fishes states ...
Quote " trawl caught grinners at 200-300 mm are prized trolling baits for large Mackerel. They are put out on chained 5/0 hooks and have the advantage over many other trolled baits in that these firm-fleshed fish can be hauled at comparatively high speeds without breaking up." unquote

I have caught bream and squire in Moreton Bay on freshly caught grinner myself. #So...don't chuck 'em all away fellas.... and bring on the Mackerel season.

GES