PDA

View Full Version : The best eating fish in the sea.

bignick
05-11-2004, 05:43 PM
I was thinking about a fresh feed of fish (that's all I can do as I got nothing the other day) and I started to wonder what the best eating fish in the sea was. I have my opinions, as I am sure everyone else does. So, let's see what everyone thinks. At this stage, I have only included saltwater species that are available locally or reasonably locally. So, let's get to voting. Be advised that there will be no preference deals or vote swapping like our trusty politicians live by.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

mackmauler
05-11-2004, 05:46 PM
red emperor, end of story.

Derek Bullock
05-11-2004, 05:50 PM
Nice big slab of parrot takes a lot of beating.

Derek

polydriver
05-11-2004, 05:58 PM
I gotta go with the flathead as I havent eaten any reef fish for years. Just cant seem to temp them on to the hook.

Oh well the boys will show me how at 1770

Reefmaster
05-11-2004, 06:02 PM
I'm with Rob Reds are hard to beat although coral trout and pearlies are right up there.

"Parrot" come on Derek i thought you had more taste then that ;) :D It still amazes me how many people like parrot :-/ ???

Cheers Greg

Needmorerum
05-11-2004, 06:05 PM
I love my Mackeral. Might have to go to 1770 to taste some of theirs.

Corry

PS. I'm definately going to 1770.

Black_Rat
06-11-2004, 02:36 AM
Red Emperor no contest ! [smiley=chef.gif] ;) followed closely by Coral Trout & Perlies. The old Estuary Cod arn't bad on the chew either.
Damo.

blaze
06-11-2004, 02:51 AM
Ok Being south of the world and living in paradise
The old GUMMY SHARK has gotta be the one
Boneless
bit of batter
deep or shallow fry
watering mouth,
May go and cook some for breakfast
And it also freezes better than any fish
cheers
blaze

-spiro-
06-11-2004, 02:56 AM
Parrot take alot of beatting. At the moment i'd walk over hot coals to get me some. Frezzers empty.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
06-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Reds - but if whiting came that size - it's be too close to call

jaybee
06-11-2004, 03:32 AM
Maori Cod for me

mini696
06-11-2004, 03:51 AM
I said reds... Not caught many (I cant get onto the reef). But its definatly my fav.

I dont mind a bit of parrot, snapper or flathead.

I like Yellowfin Tuna for sushi/sashimi.

NEWBY
06-11-2004, 03:53 AM
I am with Derek. You can't beat a slab of Parrot. Lightly dusted in seasoned corn flower and fried in butter until golden brown. Served with fresh garden salad or golden brown chips. Oh sheeeeet. I have to go fishing this weekend now.

megafish71
06-11-2004, 03:57 AM
Red Emperor, followed very closely by large mouth nannygia. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

ssbayguide
06-11-2004, 04:05 AM
I'm with megafish, although I'd like to add fingermark, coral trout and black jew

But if the weather is crap and I'm feeling wealthy, a slab of atlantic salmon, or smoked salmon with pasta will do me fine. Costs about the same as fuel for a weekend.

max_power
06-11-2004, 04:13 AM
Nothing goes past fresh slab spanish mackeral, some butter some lemon and a little cracked pepper, I'm also a big fan of fresh tuna sashimi, so sweet, yummo.

Girella
06-11-2004, 04:17 AM
To back up Blaze's wrap for shark, I recently bought some flake from C-O-L-E-S deli.

After dusting it with flour and pan frying, I was shocked at how good it tasted.
I am now a convert and will never look down my nose at eating shark again.
(Hopefully though, sharks will look down their noses at eating me)

Render
06-11-2004, 04:20 AM
I'm surprised John Dory isn't on that list.

I can't say I've tasted most of those fish, but JD is internationally renowed as arguably the finest table fish on Earth.

Cheers,

R

sidewayz
06-11-2004, 04:23 AM
Barramundi Cod are bloody good eating, but unfortunately they're on the no take list now.

Sidewayz

mini696
06-11-2004, 04:34 AM
MUD CRAB!! ;D ;D

major-defect
06-11-2004, 04:59 AM
gotta be winter whiting for me.Don't get that sort up here.Crumbed with lemon pepper mmmmm.

bidkev
06-11-2004, 05:08 AM
Catfish..........preferably warty ones......wrapped in Shovelly skin and baked in a sauce of turtle piss and noah blood.

Nannygai comes a close 2nd. :-)

For hors douvres......pillies, topped and tailed, mashed with a sprinkling of curry powder and chopped onion, made into patties, and dry fried.

PS.......anchor upwind of me

The Verminator

banshee
06-11-2004, 05:25 AM
Been eating a bit of Barr Cod lately when the weather lets us get out that far,dusted in seasoned flour and fried in butter,very tasty.

Maria
06-11-2004, 05:32 AM
Havn't tried every fish in the sea yet, but of what I have tasted my favourites are Trag and Parrot.

Ben

mackmauler
06-11-2004, 05:34 AM
banshee, we've got a couple of what I believe to be barr cod this yr, they are very good eating, I rated it alongside perly, as noone seems to be familiar with the fish around here my ID is in question :P, flowery cod they all reckon, these sure taste better than a normal cod! ill post the pic is this the culprit?

gunna
06-11-2004, 06:38 AM
Catfish..........preferably warty ones......wrapped in Shovelly skin and baked in a sauce of turtle piss and noah blood.

Nannygai comes a close 2nd. :-)

For hors douvres......pillies, topped and tailed, mashed with a sprinkling of curry powder and chopped onion, made into patties, and dry fried.

PS.......anchor upwind of me

The Verminator

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Goodonya Kingtin.

No mangrove jack in the poll ?? A while back I spent some time on Melville. They have a huge range of fish to choose from and while they release basically everything, the only fish they take for the table are jacks. And they are superb.

Big-D
06-11-2004, 06:39 AM
Sand Crab ;D ;D

yockman
06-11-2004, 06:40 AM
Gotta be blue eye trevalla for me , no question. Tiger flathead's good too, so is umm, albacore whiting, barra, mackerel, threadfin, emperor, trumpeter, - gees Ilike 'em all!

nictim
06-11-2004, 07:00 AM
I would have to say Red Bass have been lucky a few times just off Hat Head Vanuatu !!!
Ps hardest fighting fish in the sea ( I think anyway )

Leo_N.
06-11-2004, 09:26 AM
1. Coral trout
2. Longtail tuna (nevel caught yellowtail or SBT)
3. Fingermark
4. Red emperor
5. Mangrove jack
All are pretty hard to turn down.

Intereesting that there doesn't seem all that much interest in barramundi. I have never kept one of my barra catches yet so can't really comment.

Render
06-11-2004, 09:55 AM
I would have to say Red Bass have been lucky a few times just off Hat Head Vanuatu !!!
Ps hardest fighting fish in the sea ( I think anyway )

Like a side order of ciguatera do ya?? ::)

nictim
06-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Red Bass the smaller fish no problem a friend of mine ownes Hideaway Island and been eating them for years not dead yet

Tony_N
06-11-2004, 10:22 AM
1. Coral trout
3. Fingermark
4. Red emperor
5. Mangrove jack
All are pretty hard to turn down. ##

OK thats the last time I cook pearlies for you if they don't even make your top 5!

devocean
06-11-2004, 10:45 AM
I have to say a 38 1/2 cm coral trout is pretty unbeatable although I would have to say venus tusk fish (bluebone) best in the sea. In the creek I would have to say finger mark or red bream hands down.

kleiny
06-11-2004, 10:46 AM
i'd have to say Tuna the stak of the ocean mmmm although i love a good feed of whiting

megafish71
06-11-2004, 10:50 AM
1. Coral trout
3. Fingermark
4. Red emperor
5. Mangrove jack
All are pretty hard to turn down. #

Intereesting that there doesn't seem all that much interest in barramundi. #I have never kept one of my barra catches yet so can't really comment. #

Dead set, you put longtail tuna before red emperor, must be a typo, or you need to go see a tongue doctor ;D ;D

As for the old barra, well I think its over rated, good chewing but there are many more better eating fish.

Ron

bugman
06-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Chris

[smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

What the hell are you talking about
[smiley=whip.gif] [smiley=whip.gif] [smiley=whip.gif]

How can a surf rat like yourself put Reds over fresh whiting straight out of the suds.

[smiley=stop.gif] [smiley=stop.gif] [smiley=stop.gif]

You should be ashamed of yourself

[smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=behead.gif]

Screaming_Eagle
06-11-2004, 11:49 AM
fingermark [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

seafox
06-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Prawns wrapped in mud crab with a side order of fresh calamari if can’t have that then I would say Reds, Coral Trout, Nannygia and whiting

Corry have you decided if you are going to 1770 yet ::) ;D ;D

bidkev
06-11-2004, 11:55 AM
banshee, we've got a couple of what I believe to be barr cod this yr, they are very good eating, I rated it alongside perly, as noone seems to be familiar with the fish around here my ID is in question :P, flowery cod they all reckon, these sure taste better than a normal cod! ill post the pic is this the culprit?

Got two of them on a patch I found about 4ks NE of Palm. Thought they were floweries.

cheers

kev

sams_fish
06-11-2004, 11:59 AM
lutjanids of almost any sort , 'cept red bass & stuff, platycephalus fuscus rates high as well as pomatomus saltatrix, or mulgil cephalus

ssbayguide
06-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Polydactylus sheridani

banshee
06-11-2004, 12:46 PM
G'day Rob,the fish we get are a little darker but I'm sure they are the same fish,six dark bars runing verticly along the length of the fish.We pull ours up from 900 - 1000 ft,they definately are not as prety as yours,what depth did he come from?

mackmauler
06-11-2004, 01:33 PM
Kev, have you got any pics of the fish? these fish are known for living on the shelf, it would be nice to think there was populations within easier reach! banshee that was from near 100m, it went much darker when it went into the esky.

Reefmaster
06-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Rob
Craig Tomkinson purchased all the gear needed to chase those cod when he was proing but sold his boat before getting right into it. He reckons there quiet thick of the shelf and grow frigging huge. I beleive he will write an article soon about his dealings with the cod.

Cheers Greg

bidkev
06-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Kev, have you got any pics of the fish? these fish are known for living on the shelf, it would be nice to think there was populations within easier reach! banshee that was from near 100m, it went much darker when it went into the esky.

Nah Rob. I didn't have the digital then. They weren't as big as yours.....about 38 cm. I remember looking 'em up in Grants. Caught quite afew red scorpion cod at the same mark and being wary of the spines, sent 'em back......since found out that they're bloody good chewin' and taste like mud crab

cheers

kev

mackmauler
06-11-2004, 02:33 PM
Greg, I will leave it to you to bring the DI shelf cod to our screens ;)

dfox
06-11-2004, 02:38 PM
I like reds, usually smaller ones, but the cook and how fresh the fillets are play a big roll in how it tastes.Even though you cant take them now chinamen under 15 pound taste identical to reds, barra dont rate a mention, even threadfin are better.

cHiCo
06-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Have to say Mangrove Jack fresh in a batter. Red Emperor is up there aswell. Followed by Spaniards.

Derek Bullock
06-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Guys

There is a photo ID of the Bar Rockcod on the NSW Fisheries Site. The Qld Fisheries Site doesnt have a photo of them.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/thr/species/black-cod/black-cod-identifying.htm

Also some interesting stats and things on http://www.deh.gov.au/coasts/species/marine-fish/serranidae6.html

Cheers

Derek

yockman
06-11-2004, 05:55 PM
The general wisdom is that they're nearly all best straight out of the sea and into the pan, but I like mine to sit around in the frig for a day or two first. Flathead and albacore are definitely better when let hang a while; whaddya reckon?
Cheers
Yockman

mackmauler
06-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Derek, looks like you found it, black cod :o has more bars than a bar cod ::) just as well they arent protected in QLD, they taste magnificent :D

SeaSaw
06-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Rob,

From your picture and other links posted, I would make it a black cod. Found another picture on this link

http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/NOV03/Black_Cod(Epinephelus_daemelii)3.html

Yockman, I am with you ... I reckon all fish taste better if the fillets are left to sit in the fridge for at least 24hours. I think it has something to do with letting rigomortis set in properly.

Cheers,

Mark

SeaSaw
06-11-2004, 06:26 PM
Oops, that link didn't seem to work properly ... try again

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/NOV03/Black_Cod(Epinephelus_daemelii)3.html

SeaSaw
06-11-2004, 06:29 PM
nope, same problem. #You will have to paste it into your browser as it seems to break at the (. #

The second line:

(Epinephelus_daemelii)3.html

is part of the URL.

Must of been posting as you replied Rob

cheers,

Mark

mackmauler
06-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Thanks Mark, you learn something every day 8)
try the pic again, def the right fish.
http://www.scuba-equipment-usa.com/marine/NOV03/images/Epinephelus_daemelii3.jpg

banshee
06-11-2004, 07:01 PM
I'd have to agree after seeing the two together Robs looks like a Black Cod,don't know about more dark bars on the black though,it looks to have five diagonal,the picture of the Bar Cod doesn't show the black band on the wrist of the tail.I hope I never catch one of those prety ones,would seem pointless throwing a fifteen pound fish away that had guts poking out of it's mouth,bum,eyes and gills.

notts_so
06-11-2004, 09:21 PM
;DTrout trout and more trout easy to find ,fillet and great to eat ;D ;D

bignick
07-11-2004, 03:29 AM
I must admit that I am quite partial to a nice feed of Parrot. They're great to catch, they taste beautiful, they've got lots of meat on them and the fillets freeze very well so they can be enjoyed for some time.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

bignick
07-11-2004, 03:37 AM
As far as "The Best" goes, it's Red Emperor first, daylight second. Top fish to catch with good flesh yield and the big ones taste just as good as the smaller ones.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

damons33
07-11-2004, 04:31 AM
atlantic salmon smoked is the most universally popular fish in the world, rainbow trout eat great. john dory are down south the most loved.
most qld reefies(exclude blackall!) are great to eat and its more about freshness. i wouldn't turn my nose up to any lujenide except chinaman fish or red bass. also it depends on cooking method- battered footballer fillet is tops,curried yellafin is terrific, panfried trag fillets(trimmed of blood line) is superb, steamed whole snapper in ginger soy and shallots is wonderfull or poached parrot with a lemon sage hollendaise sauce is kinda nice too, bbq jewie cullets hmmmmmmm.
how do you make a call on what is "better" when you got so many of the best there waiting to jump on your line, i think the mixed bag is best if you really like to eat fish and if you don't eat them yourself let them go. variety is where its at and have them on tap is the only way to fly.
all of the groupers are albatrosses of the water.
damo'

dfox
07-11-2004, 05:15 AM
Damon i think youd be surprised at how many bass and chinamen were on the menu at fish and chip shops as sea pearch, good chance most of us have eaten it ,LOL.

Dug
07-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Steak Chicken Pork Lamb

Dam you fish eaters!

notts_so
07-11-2004, 06:05 AM
lol dug it must be hard to love fishin so much yet dont get to injoy the taste without puttting your life on the line

Remo
07-11-2004, 07:29 AM
What, no hussar anywhere!!! This is not right !!

Whiting straight from the suds, and hussar. A man cann't ask for more.

Leo_N.
07-11-2004, 09:30 AM
OK thats the last time I cook pearlies for you if they don't even #make your top 5!

I was wondering whether you would comment on that. I left it out because it is hard to judge on a single fish ;D, especially when it was baked with heaps of herbs etc. Awesome fish, but I need more experience with it before casting judgement.

damons33
07-11-2004, 09:43 AM
foxy, i wouldn't eat a whiting from platapus bay. a yank scientist did test on fishes in hervey bay and the ciggyterror was in shocking high levels around wathumba creek- even in the whiting and bream. have you ever eatten a boiled in salt water footballer cod? hmmm beautiful. somebody gave a spanyid from the bay to some backpackers at urangan they all were sick from it, haha, my tip is stick to the smaller fish around hervey bay or you could wreck fish as a food source for yourself. a over 5 kilo trout is a worry in my thoughts. so i understand what you mean ciggyterror has no species preference even thought - bass, chinamen and spanish have a bad reputation for it.
damon

Fishinmishin
07-11-2004, 10:16 AM
MMMMMMMM. Can't beat the old Grinners or stonefish. MMMMMMMMMM.

redspeckle
07-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Well for me its the Whiting & Snapper :) :D ;D but i can wait try the other fish species but i got to catch them first like Mackerel, Dolphin Fish, Mulloway,Cobia, Wahoo, Red Emperor, Mangrove Jack, Nannygai, and hope get them on dinner plate soon.
i have tried Cod, Parrot Kingfish, Coral Trout Tailor, which are nice to eat but still cannot go past those's little white o's and the smoke Snapper ;D :D

philip_thomson
07-11-2004, 03:13 PM
hmmm interesting tough decision though

i would probably say that parrot fish and pigfish are at the top of my list for taste and texture. both of them have snow white coloured flesh and very juicy. however to be a bit different everynow and again i love a small fillet of bluefin tuna dipped in egg then crumbed and lightly cooked. absolutely mouth watering. it is a different taste and a very nice taste.

but there are so many great fish to choose from it. i will eat almost anyfish thats edible. not including grinners ;D

cheers phil

Sportfish_5
07-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Any fish taste good when they have just cost me $100 + for the day :-X :-X :-X

trout3030
07-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Red emporer, footballers (if you can get em over 38cm), blue/brown moari cod, coral trout and barramundi cod (if you were allowed to eat them still) and not necessarilly in that order

Livie
07-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Any of the Dory fish
John, Mirror, Silver. Like butter melting in your mouth ::)

ba229
07-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Bream and bakebeans.

mmmmmm gets the mouth watering

MAL
07-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi just got back from the islands off Borroloola at 7.30pm, FISHING was good. Had a hell of a job trying to get a bait past the Tricky Snapper, they were all over the place. We did catch two Coral Trout, one on fresh jigged squid, one on a silver spinner, the fist Coral Trout on board was bled, filleted and chucked straight into the fry pan with some butter, salt & pepper and washed down with a cold XXXX. So Coral Trout get my vote. 8)

bignick
08-11-2004, 03:00 AM
There seems to be some sort of consensus here on the appeal of Barramundi; or the lack thereof. I, too, think they are horribly overrated. Some of the blokes caught quite a few when we were working in the Kimberly. They would bring them back and do up a huge feast. I would always finish up throwing a steak on the BBQ for myself as I think Barra is best thrown to the cats. My mother told me she had a lovely feed of Barra at the RSL and, when she told me she paid $8-50 for it, I had to break the news to her that it wasn't Barra; not at that price, anyway. By the way, Hussar is not bad eating and it is a great bait for big Red Emperor. In seafood shops, Hussar is marketed as Sea Perch.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

Derek Bullock
08-11-2004, 05:44 AM
I think you are right Bignick. Was just looking at Kingtins pic of the big shovelly. I met a bloke once who could turn a 6 foot shovelly into the best barra fillets you ever seen.

Derek

mini696
08-11-2004, 06:27 AM
I believe parrot have the best texture of all the reefies.

Give me a prawn or muddie any day over fish tho.

bidkev
08-11-2004, 09:20 AM
I think you are right Bignick. #Was just looking at Kingtins pic of the big shovelly. #I met a bloke once who could turn a 6 foot shovelly into the best barra fillets you ever seen.

Derek

He must've ruined it then Derek :-) I've tried Barra from 4 differrent chippies and I'd sooner have shovelly any day. If it's soaked in milk for a few hours, then it's as good as anything I've tasted....although different. Catty has a nice firm texture somewhat like flake and despite all the good natured piss-taking here, I defy anyone to give it a try and then say that it'
s not acceptable as a table fish. We all have differing taste buds I suppose, but I'm quite fussy what I eat and I even like stingies, if they're cooked right........it's the skinning and mess that pees me off. The deckie even eats the "bones"! She's got a Grad Dip in Health Promotion and a good right hook, so who am I to argue? ;-)

cheers

The Verminator

mini696
08-11-2004, 10:13 AM
I've found the smaller barra taste better. And the ones from salt water are better again. They definately aren't my favourite, but they hold their own. Most of my fish get cooked whole on the BBQ. The larger fish dont come off quite as well as the smaller ones.

Maybe I should try some catties, and rays, so I can comment on them. Nah... leave that to The Verminator.

Cheers
Mickk

spaniard
08-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Nice fresh mackeral, cooked on the boat an 1hr or 2 after caught.
:P :P [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif] :P :P
Yum..Yum...

bignick
09-11-2004, 04:49 AM
Not a big fan of any of the Mackerels or Tunas. I do, however, like a feed of Wahoo. Best when bled immediately upon capture and put straight on ice. They will pull a Mackerel around backwards. They give up a huge meaty fillet that can be done any way you like really. We got a recipe from a Chinese lady when we were on Christmas Island and cooked a big hunk of Wahoo fillet in the oven in a roasting tray smothered in a peanut and chille sauce. It had some kick allright, but was easily washed down with a few Coronas.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

BigE
09-11-2004, 08:39 AM
reds & coral trout eazy to catch and eat .... but i did have a feed of smoked red rock cod (poor mans lobster) once that could eazily change many a mind, it was delishious

Mick
09-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Stone fish topped with blue ringed octopus and washed down with sea snake juice. mmmmmmmmmmmmm, beautiful!
(In the off chance someone thinks I am serious and trys to consume the above, my solicitor has advised me to say I am joking)

kc
09-11-2004, 11:53 AM
Tsk tsk!! everyone slaging off at our poor old barra. Get a nice clean pre wet season salty and it is a knockout...freshwater is very ordinary. Even better when they are feeding on prawns rather than mullet.

Fingermark
Coral Trout (brain spiked and bled)
Reddies/Jacks (dead heat)
Fresh Longtail tuna...seared on a BBQ
Big yellowfin whiting from the surf
Pearl perch
Threadfin Salmon (pain in the bum to fillet)
Spanish then..maybe even barra

KC

dnej
09-11-2004, 12:21 PM
Nothing like a good feed of garfish.
David

Cheech
09-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Flathead is number one in our house. May not be as good as most reef fish, but try telling that to my family. How would it go?? No, no, no, you really are not enjoying that more than that lovely reef fish we had last week. Never win that argument.

So Flatties is our vote.

DICER
09-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Flathead - lemon grass and a dash of sweet chilly
Coral trout