PDA

View Full Version : Present for fisherman

fishermanswife
10-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Hi there, I'm new and my fiance and I have just bought a brand new boat. He's a keen fisherman (I've never fished before but looking forward to learning!) and since we've now got our first boat, I want to buy him a few little fishing presents for Christmas. Can't afford big things coz we're getting married in January and finances are tight, but I was hoping you could give me suggestions for good presents of things he'll need for fishing?? Also, what brand of rods are good and what features should I look for? I know absolutely nothing about fishing so hoping you can all help me! ???
Thanks!
Lauren

Heath
10-11-2004, 07:35 AM
Lucky man [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

It's often the small things on boats that make an enjoyable day.

A few suggestions for little things that are usefull on a boat.

stainless long nose pliars, stainless cutters, plastic tackle trays, rain coats, fish donger, boga grip ( cheap versions ), first ad kit, fishing hat, sunscreen, polarised sunnys, laminated maps, landing net, keeper bag, buckets, knives, filleting glove, fish scaler, scales, fish measurer, pocket guide of fishes or similar, rod holders.

You get the drift. The small cheapish things that come in handy on the water.

BTW what sort of boat did you get & what sort of fishing to you plan to do?

fishermanswife
10-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Thanks for your reply! I'm just having a squizz through ebay to see what's around and there's a few things that might be useful! Also need beginner stuff for myself!
We just bought a 1750 Mustang Tournament (we're in Victoria), as for what kind of fishing I have no idea, I guess once we've got the boat and equipment we'll start doing our research! He's only really gone out with friends before in their boats so this will be quite an experience for us! We've got a jetski we're getting rid of to get the boat, so we're used to being on the water and he knows a bit about fishing but I'm sure there's plenty more to learn!

mackmauler
10-11-2004, 08:33 AM
Best pressie , 1 way ticket north ;D mindyu we dont need any more crow eaters up here ;)

Mick
10-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Got a sister champ?

mini696
10-11-2004, 08:53 AM
I agree with Heath. The small things make life on a boat a lot easier.

Example;
I went to Evacool on the weekend, the owner was there teaching his son to drive in the carpark. I asked him for the elastic straps which hold an esky lid down. He was more than happy to give me some freebies. I used this to latch my centre console door firmly shut. Morale is: Something I got for free has made my fishing experience 100% better (no more vibration, or swinging doors when I accelerate).

I believe you need to take a new boat out a few times before spending on big things like live bait tanks, or electric motors, or whatever you may need.

As for a rod, its hard to get the perfect rod for all situations. I have 5 now and still want more. My only suggestion is to talk to a local store. But IMHO I believe a 3-6kg 7' rod (with a long handle end) is a good start for a boat rod (for a bloke), maybe a bit shorter for females (depends on personal strength). Get a short handle if your flicking lure's more often than using bait. Some females have trouble holding the rods with long handles too. Just my experience.

Just the fact he's allowed to have a boat this close to the wedding chould be present enough!! ;)

Jeremy
10-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Apparently there are some good videos on how to catch fish in Port Phillip Bay. These would go a long way to helping to put some fish in the esky. There is a long learning curve for people new to fishing (and boating) and being show how its done and where can save alot of time. Best advice is to join a local fishing club - have a look at http://www.ansa.com.au/Sportfishing.htm for some local clubs in your area.

The mustang should be a nice boat. Good to see that some jetskiers have the sense to get rid of them ;D ;D

Jeremy

Girella
10-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Careful Mick

This has to be a gee up. Fisherman don't have wives. (they're all divorced)

fishermanswife
10-11-2004, 09:08 AM
:D
Thanks for your suggestions everyone! He's not much of a reader but I am so I might invest in one of those fishing/boating books. As for Christmas presents, think I'll take your suggestions and get a few small bits and pieces til we actually start using the boat and find out exactly what we'll need.

wessel
10-11-2004, 09:14 AM
Lauren

Good luck with the wedding planning and all the best to the both of you.

Two things that can make or break a marriage in seconds
1) Rally driving, and your wife is the navigator or vice versa
2) To take your wife fishing with you, and she is better at the fishing than the hubby :)

Guys like toys. The best toy my wife has ever bought me was a Leatherman Supertool. Not those newfangle jobbies with curves and useless plastic doodads. Just the plain old Supertool with lockable blades.

With all the best intentions of the world, try to avoid buying big fishing gear as a surprise for your hubby to be. My wife was kind enough once to surprise me with some rigged traces. Only problem was that you can only use it to fish for carp with. I only chase big open ocean critters that will use her well intended gift as toothpicks. A small ooops but with good intentions.

Again, all the best to the both of you.

Wessel

Mick
10-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Yes Girella, I smell a rat. I can't find a female that can spell fishing let alone buy fishing products for their other halves. This may be a sign of things to come. Thats it, I am cancelling my Saturday fishin trip and booking myself in to get the nails and hair done!
n.b Fishermans Wife - I am certainly not having a dig at women or women who fish, just making light humour of the subject.

fishermanswife
10-11-2004, 09:29 AM
;) We must be a rare breed!
Well in all honesty I haven't been fishing yet so I don't know if I'll like it, but I love the ocean so just boating around is enough to satisfy me! Bonus if we bring home dinner! ;D

Mick
10-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Rare indeed! I have no doubt you'll love it as much as the next person. Good luck and make sure you keep us all posted on how things go.

seafox
10-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Got a mother champ?

seafox
10-11-2004, 11:55 AM
Lauren
A better christmas present would be cancel all the wedding plans get married at the registry office and put the money you save in t a bigger boat. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers
Jeff

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Big_Kev
10-11-2004, 12:52 PM
BEER!

bigal
10-11-2004, 02:27 PM
stubby... ahem i mean can of coke holder? most important incase of big wave-spillage.

PinHead
10-11-2004, 02:54 PM
new boat..just about to get married..I somehow think the best gift you could buy him would be the tiniest bikini you could wear on the new boat.

devocean
11-11-2004, 05:44 AM
Mick you are a cheeky bugger

Mick
11-11-2004, 05:46 AM
My intentions are good devocean. Missed you at church last Sunday, what's going on?

cooky
11-11-2004, 05:47 AM
pinhead - i said the same, but my post got wiped????

fishermanswife
11-11-2004, 05:49 AM
I'll definitely invest in the bikini, hopefully can find a special one in the USA on our honeymoon ;)

Jeremy
11-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Cooky's post did get wiped. Great website you posted!!

I smell the hand of big brother and dettol here. I think it is such a shame that we can't have a bit of harmless fun on this site. I could go on but...

Jeremy

megan
11-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Hi Lauren,

I bet you will have a blast, especially when you land a bigger fish than your partner! As for things to get for the boat the best and cheapest (as they are free) is a fisheries sticker for legal bag limits and lengths of fish, a packet of hooks, sinkers and a hand line is all you will need for the first fish. Also do you guys have a boat licence? Hope you have a great time.
Regards Megan