PDA

View Full Version : The Best Fish in thee Sea to Catch.

bignick
10-11-2004, 09:18 AM
G'Day One and All,
I was going to start a poll so everybody could voice their opinion on the best CATCHING fish in the sea. The problem came when I had to make up the list of options; the list seems endlesss and could not possibly cover all the fish that people go out and specifically target (and, hopefully catch). So, this forum is open to all comers and is open-ended in terms of the fish species that may be discussed as chasing different fish requires certain methods and sacrifices that make a successful outing. I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear what people think is the best fish to catch and why.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

Dr_Dan
10-11-2004, 09:26 AM
ANything that wants to take my line! With the number of times that i've get out for a fish lately, I'm pretty happy with anything. ;D ;D ;D

Other than that, i think anything on light line is good to catch!

Mick
10-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Tuna fight hard and are fun to catch , but the most challenging would be mangrove jacks. They can smash a bait and be back in their snag before a fisherman even knew he had a bight. The best because they are good eating and not easy to catch (in creeks).

devocean
10-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Not to hard for me Mick. But I have to agree with you they are the best bruisers in the creek. I think any fish you target plan and catch is worthwhile, because if you specifically set out to catch them and you do then you have been successful.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
10-11-2004, 10:11 AM
TAILOR

TAILOR

TAILOR

seeyainthesurf,

chris

sharkbait
10-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Snapper because they require time, effort, cunning and patience.

Mackerel beause they don't. (mostly ;) )

Kris.

bugman
10-11-2004, 10:39 AM
Cobia - if you want a big fish to hurt you - not only physically but mentally then pick this brute.

Big ones will come and have a look at you as they eye you with contempt. They then effortlessly run line off the spool like there's no tomorrow.

30 mins later of back breaking effort you get them to the boat only to have them stay tantilising out of gaff range for 5 mins - and just when you feel like your arms are about to break in half and all the blood vessels in your face are about to burst, they race off on another big run.

Here mental toughness comes into play and it takes another whole world of hurt you haven't even dreamed off to get them back to the gaff.

I find it takes at least two coldies to replenish energies levels suffeciently enough to resume fishing.

Bugman

CHRIS_aka_GWH
10-11-2004, 10:54 AM
... and all the blood vessels in your face are about to burst ...

i often wondered what happened Brett #:-X

seriously though, I was gunna put cobes too, for all the reasons u listed together with how easy they are to clean & how great to eat / freeze well etc

Trouble is I've been chasing tailor from before I chased women - & the adenalin rush on the hit is still the same, the hurt from a 2kg+ fish just keeps geting #worse #;D just love it.

chris

seafox
10-11-2004, 11:23 AM
I am with you Bugman nothing I have caught can hurt as much as cobia have wrestled quit a few of the big b*$#*$ds for over an hour only to lose it. The thing with cobia they are smart and cunning when they have had enough of torturing you physically they will then look for any structure to bust you up on or to tangle you up in (mainly your anchor line) so if are anchored up and you hook one of these brutes it’s a good idea to get the anchor up as quick as possible or sooner or later he ‘WILL’ find it.

Cheers
Jeff

dfox
10-11-2004, 12:52 PM
I have three main species-
(1) Snapper- Finding and catching large deep water snapper is a big challange.Locally fish over 10kilos are the cunning ones and catching them on a regular basis is extremely hard to do.
(2)Red Emperor-Although probably easier to find landing large ones is a challange.The fight and seeing the large ones surface is always a thrill.
(3)Large spanish mackeral-targeting the large ones is like a drug, once hooked it a life long adiction.
Other fish like large tuna and kings may fight hard but id rather the above species...foxy

Sportfish_5
10-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Any pelagic species ;D ;D

Reefies are good for a feed but you can't beat the speed, power, anticipation of a hit and the actual visual of the hit when chasing pelagics be they hoos or any of the macks.

Cant beat the sound of a screaming drag in the morning :P :P ;D

Cheers

Greg

bigal
10-11-2004, 02:14 PM
blackfish.. bigguns are the go. great live bait and a hella good fight on light gear.

Derek Bullock
10-11-2004, 03:09 PM
For the average land-based fisho. If you have never caught garfish on one kilo string and a long light rod, you have never fished. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derek

bidkev
10-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Any cattie over 5 kilo will outrun any other fish of the same size (in my book). Take a look at that forked tail and the size of the pectorals. Big shovellies (over 2 metres) will test the strength of anyone.........no big runs, just pure brute force......and they don't give up........*BIG* rays, the same.... No leaping or running, just a test of wills. Not forgetting they're good chewin' also :-)

The tamest fish.......pound for pound, in my limited experience are spotties......my first pelagics and even on light gear I was dissapointed......perhaps I caught 'em on their off day? :-)

A 2 kilo Samson fish gave me a cracking fight one day, but I've only caught the one......look forward to catching a bigger one.

The Verminator

philip_thomson
10-11-2004, 04:24 PM
well i have never ever caught a marlin but im sure that when i do catch one this season (being hopeful here) ;D that it will be the winner. the jumping the leaping the everything thats great is all in the marlin.

apart form that i reckon dolphinfish. i still remember the moment my first ever dolphinfish took its first run it was an eventful day on wednesday june 30th 2004. ahh what a day ;D ::) :P [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

anyfish thats a keeper makes me happy

cheers phil

NeilD
10-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Any of the lutjanids, Trout, Cobia, big Spaniards and Jacks all give give me a thrill. I would also like to tryout a Black Bass, Dogtooth and Wahoo. I also get a real kick out of large Whiting and descent Greenbacks. So many fish and so little time.

Cheers Neil

Zeeke
10-11-2004, 07:01 PM
well.. gotta say.. either amberjacks or cobia.. caught both on a trip with the mack mauler.. both on soft plastics.. for around 45mins of foreplay.. the cobia was my best fish.. going at around 18kgs.. it wasnt a bad effort on Rob's 8kg spin gear..

creek fish?? i wont go past Jacks in snags... jew in deep holes.. but even they are limited.. they've got 1 good run then they are usually stuffed

Tim

Bad_Bubby
10-11-2004, 09:48 PM
I would have to say mackerel (schoolies and spaniards). They are so unpredictable and just getting a hookup seems impossible at times. The fight is never the same between fish but is usually spectacular in some way. No fish have I seen run with such speed, and take out big baits with such power and aggression. The best part is frying up those prime fillets fresh from the ice slurry.

jeffo
11-11-2004, 01:58 AM
hahahaha.... is there any competition?? ;D

1. BLACK MARLIN

2. SAILFISH

3. BLUE MARLIN

if i cant be chasing billfish any of the speedsters or thugs of the ocean will do. ie. hoo,mackeral,aj's,kings and cobes.

Maria
11-11-2004, 03:15 AM
Estuary Cod and Moses Perch fished out of little muddy mangrove creeks. Just love the way the behave in there and strike at your lure/bait whatever. Estuary Cod would have to be one of my favourite species of all time - really enjoy catching them and putting a few back.

Ben

ssbayguide
11-11-2004, 04:31 AM
Hmmmm..

GTs at any size but especially over 30kg.

Fingermark and Jacks in shallow water (under 20 feet) on inshore reefs. A 3kg fish will just about waste you on 50lb braid - and when you get done you can only giggle.

It's even better when you see the fish smash you up.

megan
11-11-2004, 04:41 AM
I'd have to say catching Australian Salmon while they are boiling the water around your little 12ft tinnie, throwing small spinners at them on 2kg line on a light spinning rod and finally landing one that's around the 4-5 pound mark - now that's fun!

Black_Rat
11-11-2004, 04:54 AM
Dart on light gear in a heavy sea ;)
Damo

bignick
11-11-2004, 05:17 AM
As I said in my opening statement, anything that you go out to target and catch is a good thing and makes for a successful, enjoyable outing. Catching a big Snapper in Moreton Bay is a lot different from chasing Wahoo; you get my drift. All fishing is relative to the area you are fishing and the species you are chasing. I get a buzz out of catching big Bream in shallow water and from catching big Wahoo on the troll. I just love being out on the water as all the world's problems don't seem to matter out there. Pulling an 8-kilo Snapper or a 5-kilo Pearlie or a big Amberjack or Cobia just puts the icing on the cake.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

nictim
11-11-2004, 08:37 AM
I would have to say spinning for mackerel
spinning flat out HIT and let it run, my two sons are adicted to it they spin with no barbs and don't even care if they drop then at the boat.
What a great sport and it's only 10min off my doorstep.
they will be here in the next week or so
Cheers Steve---