PDA

View Full Version : Strongest Hooks Best Line

devocean
11-11-2004, 06:04 AM
Who do you reckon makes the best hooks and line?

mackmauler
11-11-2004, 07:05 AM
allround very hard to beat the vmc hooks imo, strongest isnt always best, you have to be able to set them etc. as for line any of the major brands keep me happy, depends on what species and what reels to an extent. using topshots and replacing them regularly reduces any failures.

Maria
11-11-2004, 07:17 AM
VMC and Gamakatsu are about as far afield as I roam these days - they're unbeatable.

Line - just don't buy cheap stuff from k-mart like your $3/500m spools.

Ben

NQCairns
11-11-2004, 07:22 AM
Buggered if I know about hooks, I normally look for well priced and in the style and size that suits me at the time. Line? well ever since penn 10X hit the market I only make a bee line for that.
I am a fairly basic fisho the latest greatest stuff doesn't turn my head uaually. Will be intersting to see if there is anything new or best from your replies for my shoping list.nq

Bashir
11-11-2004, 09:21 AM
I use all the major hook brands, it depends on the situation really. Line, hawk or ande are my favourites and I use it on all my reels.

bignick
11-11-2004, 09:51 AM
Schneider makes a good old-fashioned monofilament line in that it's as tough as nails and reasonable priced; it's just that it's a bit thick. The best of the newer monofilament lines is, I reckon, a toss-up Platypus Platinum and Shogun Red. The Shogun probably just edges out the Platypus in terms of abrasion resistance. As for braid, I am only just starting to use it offshore. I'm using the Muscleline braid by Pioneer and finding it quite OK. Wheather using monofilament or braid, avoid using the "El-Cheapo Brand-X" type lines as they just don't cut the cheese and will cause more dramas than they are worth. The only thing the $5/500 metre K-Mart line is good for is backing for a reel full of braid.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

bignick
11-11-2004, 10:07 AM
As for hooks, anything by Mustad is usually pretty well all you're going to need. I use the Penetrator chemically sharpened hooks in sizes 5/0-9/0 when chasing Snapper in Moreton Bay and I'm yet to have one let me down.I also use gangs of the Youvella chemically sharpened hooks (3x 5/0) in the bay and offshore and they are quite good and they already have an open eye when you buy them, so ganging them up is quite easy. When fishing offshore, I use the Tarpon (#7766) in 6/0 in gangs of 2 or 3, or the Hoodlum or Big Gun hooks in sizes 8/0-10/0, as these are both good when either used as a single hook or in a live-bait rig. The Mustad #542 is also good in thet is well-priced and very strong; the only problem is that it's a bronze hook and rusts (itself and anything anywhere near it) easly. I am also experimenting with some of the different brands of circle hooks on the market. They seem to work well, particularly on Pearl Perch. For trolling, I use the VMC 4X Strong Trebles. Once again, stay away from the K-Mart "cheapie bin".

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

dfox
11-11-2004, 12:37 PM
Im happy with mustad in most of the hooks that i use, types of lines vary so much in regard to what type of fishing your doing, but offshore i use shogun,schnieder or tiagra line, the biggest down fall i see is in leader material, ive used them all and am disapointed in them all. Resently been trying flurocarbon and i found it even worse...foxy

damons33
11-11-2004, 01:00 PM
i use platapus line- super braid,platinum, pink and the white/fluro stetchy stuff(good for noobys like me!)
mustad-allrounders and hoodlums . gamakatsu for trolling hooks sl12s and i hear pakula has some special stainless trolling hooks at the moment(like sl12s only better as you can resharpen them!) however they aren't cheap, like most things that are better/easier/more cost effective in the long run.
;)
damo'

Mick
11-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Cheers bignick, I have been tossing up over the shogun and platypus for a while now. You may have just made me swing to the shogun.

Mick

damons33
11-11-2004, 01:05 PM
i use platapus line- super braid,platinum, pink and the white/fluro stetchy stuff(good for noobys like me!)
mustad-allrounders and hoodlums . gamakatsu for trolling hooks sl12s and i hear pakula has some special stainless trolling hooks at the moment(like sl12s only better as you can resharpen them!) however they aren't cheap, like most things that are better/easier/more cost effective in the long run.
;)
damo'

devocean
12-11-2004, 05:51 AM
Cheers guys for your replies. Have always been a platypus user myself and a fan of gamgatzu hooks but I think I might try and diversify into some of your other suggestions. Might help my fishing results as got busted up 3 times on the weekend.

What I have found to be the best for creeks are the tru turn hooks never seem to fail me. Does anyone else use them?