PDA

View Full Version : Nugget's weekend predictions

Nugget
13-11-2004, 02:22 AM
I'm making some changes to my web site so there will be no predictions posted this week.
Below is a summary for those that would normaly check out the charts and graphs I put up.

The biggest affect on fishing my area - the Pin and Broadwater this weekend, will be the run off from recent local flooding.
The Pin is discoloured – the only clear tidal water is from Tabby Island to the Bar and only an hour before the top of the tide – once you’re an hour or so into the run out the dirty water is right through Kalinga Bank to the Bar.
Most of the mangrove drains and channel draining the Pin’s mangrove islands are flowing chocolate and where this chocolate water meets the tidal water, there is a lot of action.
Flathead are actively hunting the demarcation lines and some times in less than a foot of water.
They are easily spooked though so stay well back and put in big casts.
Whiting hate fresh water and will slowly be pushed from up river towards more saline water.
If you’re after a feed then try the drain between Squire Island and Kalinga Bank that hugs the southern end of North Stradbroke – around the top of the tide and first of the run out should be the best.
I’ve found that while bloodworms are the best bait for whiting, when the water is murky like it is now, yabbies will often out fish the worms.
Surprising, although it’s not bream season, there are a lot of quality bream being caught since the rain.
Make sure you have some yabbies and gut on board
Traditionally, floodwaters are the home of jew.
There were a few caught very early in the week around the north wall of the Seaway but nothing latter in the week.
Several of the gun jew fishos hit the Pin Bar for the dirty water but there has been no reports so far.
Mud crabs should be a good option this weekend.
The rainfall and run off lowers the salinity level – more so in shallow water and on the mangrove marshes of the Pin than anywhere else.
This should see the muddies on the move.
Freshwater floats on top of saltwater so look for deeper holes.
They might look dirty from the surface but the deeper water should be cleaner the deeper you go.
The ideal locations would be 15 – 20 feet plus, around the mouth of creeks draining mangrove marshes.

Solunar peaks
100% at 12.01pm Saturday
100% at 12.25am and 1.01pm on Sunday
# # #
Tidal flow
95% run in weekend mornings / 65% run in weekend evenings
Low tide near sunrise/sunset so pumping bait should be easy.
# # # # # # # # #
Moon phase
This weekend falls a day after the new moon. # # # # # #
# # # # # # # # #
Good luck