PDA

View Full Version : CRABBING

s.tury
07-11-2004, 09:35 AM
has anyone got any tips on crabbing ,i'm thinking of giving it a go and haven't done much, maybe best baits ,places to drop pots ,any info appreciated wife loves crab, mud or sand.

Thanks DARREN

Fishinmishin
07-11-2004, 10:25 AM
What area ya from to help us out. The humble mullet works fine but always keep old fish frames as the eyes are jellybeans. Ensure crabs must enter pots and can't reach bait from outside the pots (a common mistake). The edge of deep dropoffs running along banks or reefs are good spots for sandies(beware of floats being chopped by props) or and easy and productive spot is Banana Banks.

s.tury
07-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks for reply
Im from the sunshine coast ,qld i dont have access to the reefs yet only estuaries but love a feed of crab ,but havent done enough to understand how to go about getting a feed

Fishinmishin
07-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Don't know anything about sunshine coast ??? Asking a local or tackle shop should get you started. Good luck ;)

Dug
07-11-2004, 12:25 PM
If you are going to do it, do it now, the rain and fresh water flow will have them out and moving.

Dug
07-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Give me a yell if you want another set of pots to drop!

I have 4 in the shed In Maroochydore.

Big_Muddie
07-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Darren,

Some cheap baits that are good producers are:
# #Kangaroo Tail (see your pet food store)
# #Chicken Frames (see your butcher - or one who bones his own chicken)
# #Chicken Necks (as for frames, or maybe the pet food store) - a couple with a piece of Roo tail
# #Fish skeletons
# #Mutton/Beef bones (quite a few pros favour these).

I use bait pouches made from gutter guard and retain them in the pots using thin bungee cord - makes changing baits pretty quick and easy.

Sandy areas around weed beds can be a good spot for sandcrabs.

Deepish holes in creeks or near mangroves are worth a go for muddies.

I have only crabbed the Sunshine Coast once - in Eudlo Ck (off the Maroochy R). #Lots of big jennies on that occasion).

Zeeke may be able to give you some location advice for the Sunshine Coast.

devocean
09-11-2004, 05:57 AM
I find the best bait for crabs are whole mullet not strips because little fish pick at them and whole bullock heart. The crabs cant seem to get enough of the heart and they often wont let go of it. The only bait I find they wont touch is mangrove jack heads. I think this is because jacks eat crabs but I'm not quite sure.

Bullock heart ( get from woolies about 2 bucks) and mullt are good but I find your bait is only as good as your bait boxes. There are a lot of pots on the market but not many have real good bait boxes.

Some good ideas are;

Mate of mine gets PVC about 8cm across and threads both ends. Caps them off and drills holes through the pipe. He then attaches a cord to both ends and ties it to the botom of the pot. He throws about 10 pillies in there. He catches plent o crabs and he dosnt have to carry around heaps of bait, let alone freeze it which can be also a pain. He also never has his bait pinched as nothing can get to the bait.

Anyway good luck. I find if you are keen about crabbing its best to make your own pots

seafox
09-11-2004, 11:44 AM
Don’t know much about crabbing the sunshine coast but done a bit up here in Gladstone I find the best time for muddies is a few hours before the high tide and about an hour after. I usually go out with a mate so we run a string of eight pots drop pots close to mangroves and move them in and out with the tide. Best bait I have found is whole mullet or fish frames other than cod frames the crabs don’t seem to like these may be because the prey on crabs I don’t know (use bait bags as others have suggested). I check the pots about every 20 to 30 minutes (if the crabs are around it wont take them long to get into the pots) if there no crabs after 2 checks move pots somewhere else. Get someone to show you how to tie crabs if you put a few bucks in the bin together chances are you will be pulling them out in bits and pieces if you can not tie them then cover them in mangrove leaves or put them straight on ice. Hope this helps a little.

Cheers
Jeff

PS
If and when you catch any muddies for a small fee I will tell you how to cook em’ ;D ;D

AussieMozzie
10-11-2004, 03:36 AM
What sort of material do people use to make their own pots?

zedjack33
10-11-2004, 04:02 AM
Get someone to show you how to tie crabs if you put a few bucks in the bin together chances are you will be pulling them out in bits and pieces if you can not tie them then cover them in mangrove leaves or put them straight on ice. Hope this helps a little.

seafox

Check out this site, as mangrove cant be touched
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2618.html#3
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2517.html

devocean
10-11-2004, 04:44 AM
Galvo mesh for the outer frame. Use green garden guard about 4 dollars for the mouths. Galvo mesh for the bait boxes. Probably cost about 12 bucks a pot but you will get a few scratches. However will last at least ten years

seafox
10-11-2004, 08:30 AM
seafox

Check out this site, as mangrove cant be touched
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2618.html#3
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2517.html

I wasn’t aware of that thanks zedjack ( in the past when I needed to keep crabs alive over several days I have used mangrove leaves to cover them it keeps them calm so I guess I will have to find another method.
But as you know when crabbing in mangroves you almost always end up with mangrove leaves in your boat (well I do any way) so what would happen in this situation I wonder.

Cheers
Jeff

tshort
10-11-2004, 08:53 AM
What sort of material do people use to make their own pots?
If your up the Maroochy river I dont think you worry about taking pots I hear the go is OP's.

mini696
10-11-2004, 08:59 AM
A damp hessian (sic) bag is good to keep them in too. Still need to tie them up though.

Just dont do what I did last time I caught crabs. I let them all go on the kitchen floor and said "Here mum, cook them for me".... One got the cat and mother dearest wasn't impressed!! ;D

Tell you what the cat wasn't impressed either.

Mickk

mini696
10-11-2004, 09:04 AM
I've seen a few pots made from a single hoop of rod, with a net tied all around with enough sag to create a dip in the middle. With these type, they aren't enclosed, so the crabs have to still be at the bait when you recover them. But if you crab like Jeff (Seafox) suggested, and check them every 20-30 minutes that'll be no problem. You also have to lift the "pot" straight up (and quickly) to prevent the crab swimming away. But they quite often get tangled in the net so they cant get away.

I've been very successful using this type of "pot".

Mickk

mini696
10-11-2004, 09:14 AM
The net used in the pots I described above is usually cotton (or similar thin mesh, close to the cast net type). Not the thick stuff used in enclosed pots. This is so the crabs get tangled easier.

Mickk

seafox
10-11-2004, 09:56 AM
Mini696 the pots you described are called dillies and yes you have to check them as I described any longer and the crabs will tear them apart. Another type of pot I have found to be very successful are the collapsible net pots (especially the square black ones) you can buy them just about anywhere. Like all pots make sure your name address and boat rego is clearly marked on your pot and float and be sure to wash them out in fresh water after you have finished crabbing for the day this will help them last as long as possible I have been using mine for the last 3 to 4 years.

Cheers
Jeff

devocean
10-11-2004, 10:14 AM
Does anyone know the difference between a crab pot and a fish trap? Have had someone tell me once that my home made pots are almost fish traps. Fish traps are illegasl in queensland so am keen to understand the difference

mini696
10-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Dillies... Thats the word I was looking for.

I've just realised who you are Jeff.... I should have known by the username.

It me Mick... Kornbrekke!!

I'm gonna have to refrain from Bull**ing on so much, now that someone knows who I am... hehehe ;D I will be up that way over xmas. I'll give you a call and try to drop in and see you.

Mickk

seafox
10-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Mick you dog I didn’t know it was you either or my reply may have been different (like they call them dillies you d#$#k head). Send me an email let me know how things are going. By the way shouldn’t you be working?

Cheers
Jeff

s.tury
12-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback i'll get some pots and give it a go if not this weekend it'll be next i think i'll get the square collapsable ones they seem reasonable enough for a start .
Thanks all
darren [smiley=guitarist.gif]

wannabe
12-11-2004, 05:05 PM
What's the best thing to use as a float?

Fishinmishin
13-11-2004, 05:06 AM
I think they are meant to be minimum of 10cm? wide at smallest point but if trouble with 'lost' pots and still want to float them, a clear 600mL coke bottle and a GPS makes them hard for others to spot.