PDA

View Full Version : Squid fishing

devocean
10-11-2004, 01:07 PM
I am a big night fishing person as I believe most big fish are caught at night. I have always been keen to fish with live squid. I have a few times caught them on jigs during the day but very rarely have I caught them at night. I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to cathc them at night, types of light set ups especially for tinnies and keeping them alive

Thanks Devocean

bigal
10-11-2004, 02:24 PM
good luck on keeping em alive. but there is a packe bait thingy if ya add it to ur water it helps em live, but imho ya need as biiggggg of a tank as possible. the only way i have seen em stay alive is in a pool. if ya catch em in a spot during the day then try there at night, just add a glow stick on the jig. usually they will be there.

Dug
10-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Go to a really super cheep shop that sell driving things and but a spotlight one of those 1,000,000 candle power ones that should attract the suckers.

nulla
11-11-2004, 03:27 AM
I read an article about a guy in NZ chasing giant squid larvae. For some reason they would not stay alive in a container that had corners - needed to be kept in a round container. You could try keeping them in a large bucket or garbage bin - the bigger the better, and I would suggest constant water exchange. Would like to know how you get on.

devocean
11-11-2004, 05:26 AM
Thanks guys for the advice. Will give it all a try tommorrow night when I chase fingermark (that is if I can get my leave pass signed).

Cheers Devocean

Glug
11-11-2004, 02:33 PM
These lights work OK at night the whole horizon is just a glow when the squid boats are working

nulla
12-11-2004, 03:58 AM
You will need a big tank to keep one of these alive but imagine the size of the fish that would eat it - found in Tasmania july 2002

MAL
12-11-2004, 08:51 AM
Now thats alot of calamari. 8)

Dr_Dan
12-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Heard of a guy once, getting hold of an old truck spotlight. Cut some polystyrene to fit around the light, waterproofed it with silicone or something similar, and hangs that over the side of the boat. Just hooks it up to a spare 12vlt. Sends a beam of light WAY down deep. Brings all kinds of things up to it.

gunna
13-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Have you checked over here

http://www.squidfish.net/

If you can't get the info there you will never find it ;D

Dug
13-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Giant squid are full of ammonia to stop them from freezing so stink and are poisonous to eat (for us anyway) But they are a food for sperm whales etc so if you used one for bait imagine the tackle and rig you would need for that fight!!

Dug
13-11-2004, 09:44 AM
There is a theory that with the rise in sea temperature and their breeding rate they will become the largest population of animal in the world. Imagine going fishing in a sea full of giant squid.

I might take up golf!

devocean
13-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks Gunna very helpful though didnt have much success the other night but still caught plenty of nannygia though couldnt take any home. Bloody closures!