PDA

View Full Version : What do you want in a fishing report

Nugget
11-11-2004, 11:39 AM
Brownie does a great job of summarising the fishing options for a weekend.
What would you think is important to have in a Friday night TV round up?

I thought about tides but any fisho worth his salt would have a fair idea on tides for the weekend - I think it would be more beneficial to summarize how the weekend's tides will affect fishing.
Same as weather - its broadcast by every station - but a summary of how the predicted weather or weather pattern over the past week will affect the weekend might be more useful?

Where they are biting?
Solunar peaks?
Tidal flow percentages?
Dam water levels? (they change slowly so probably not needed every weekend)
What about the oportunity to send in photos of you with your catch and have them on screen? - would you? - just to get your 15 seconds of fame?
What about fishing tips - snipets of usefull info?

Anyone got any ideas?

Dave ><>

Fin_Addict
11-11-2004, 11:42 AM
G'day Dave ;) When it comes to fishing reports i like to see a decent weather prediction and what the guys have been catching ;D Ross

dfox
11-11-2004, 12:22 PM
Its better when the person presenting the weather knows what there on about and gives a personal interpratation of the possiable forcast, to many reports are just read out, and your suposed to figure out the rest! As for catch reports, the more the better...foxy

Mick
11-11-2004, 12:51 PM
I hate those fishing reports that just say "bream and whiting in the creeks with some flat head, and the odd tailor being taken off the rocks". This sought of report is as helpful as a fart in an elevator.

SeaHunt
11-11-2004, 01:01 PM
GPS Marks ;)

Seriously though , time they were caught, and tide situation at the time, bait and basic technique , like bottom or floating rig. 8)

webby
11-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Spot x 's
No seriously, there vertuially a waste of time, on the evening news.
You have 60sec, and due to the wide coverage, there's no way you can give out any revelant info, that would be of use to anyone when the viewing audience could be from Redcliffe to the Gold coast.

Tides/Weather if you cannot find out this info yourself, you sure as hell not going to find the fish, if you havent planned some strategry for your trip.

Better off just showing some pic's of weekly catches, and possibly a few tips.
regards

CHRIS_aka_GWH
11-11-2004, 03:06 PM
dave,

you are the only presenter I have encountered that presents tidal flow information (the relative amount of flow) as it effects species & location. That and moon movement (particulary moonrise & overhead) - i prefer to know them rather than the solunar charts.

The graphics on your website are GOOD,GOOD, GOOD. It would be truly excellent to run them together & highlight peak times.

Also... A MONTH AHEAD CHART that runs & highlights the best time in the month ahead for snapper, for whiting etc

Then if you could tell us locations for the quickest access, cheapest fuel, the easiest women & the coldest beers & do that all in 3mins after the weather & before Neighbours.

chris

oh yeah, .

I also like the way you use professions such as the trawler boys for useful info.

Fish pics are good as a psyche up but time is money.

mono
11-11-2004, 03:40 PM
If the presenter had a small bikini on, what was said probably wouldnt be that important!
I know how you look in a bikini birthday boy!!! Not a pretty sight.

bignick
11-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Basic information of what's biting where and when and a few shots of mugs actually holding fish that were caught recently; and a variety of fish, not just bread-and-butter species. Some print media fishing correspondants seem to trot out the same old tired information week in, week out. Granted, it is all but impossible to provide an offshore round-up, for example, when the weather in the previous week has been fresh to frightening. And that begs the question of where these people get their information from when the weather would (or should) have kept everyone on Terra Firma in the previous week. Sometimes, it is only Bream, Whiting and Flathead in the creeks, but, it's funny how you'll never hear a report that says that it's as dead as a doornail out there and a complete waste of time, fishing-wise. These correspondants should also stop talking up the same places all the time as they are just getting flogged to death by the masses who seem to hang on their every word.

Cheers,
BIGNICK.

NeilD
11-11-2004, 04:57 PM
I would like a brief interpretation of the weather followed by some footage of whats been caught and a little bit of detail eg specific rigs,baits and tips or news relevant to fishos to keep us interested.

Neil

Wayne
11-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Dave, Being a light gear fisherman I would like to know more about the conditions at the locations, amount of weed, amount of fresh runing ,size of surf/swell, where good catches are coming from and whether the guys using the square hooks have been busy. These are the sort of things you don't know until you arrive at the spot. The rest I can figure out myself.
Cheeers Wayne

nofrills
11-11-2004, 05:31 PM
i reccon over crissy holidays you could show footage of people launching boats with bungs out;dropping boats on ramps,jackknifeing trailers,wrestling jet ski riders,trying to start motors that ran perfect last crissy :P OH YEA and backing trailers in until the car exhaust goes blub blub blub,and i reccon you should put it with some good old benny hill music.
cheers scott ;D

MTpockets
11-11-2004, 10:02 PM
I would just like the presenter to know what they are talking about. Too often Brownie says its 10-15 knts and when ya get there is blowing 20......
Or like one day he said it was 20-25knts so I stayed home but a mate went without my knowledge who had not seen the report and cleaned up in 10 knots breezes.
I just dont trust them any more. Like my old man used to say, have a look out the window.
cheers
Les

NQCairns
12-11-2004, 02:52 AM
Never seen your report Webby but a 15 second long fairly gross (medium like)line map of the region with (coloured?)dots where catching and fish common name tags on each (or as legend?)would be good (I would tape it and study it later). I would never miss a segment that had that! Like who would watch the evening weather report if they just yelled the nations points of interest temerature at out! Easy to do theses days also.
I may be different to most but watching people hold up their catch is a waste of my time :-[ Unless I also see it getting caught, Gotta have vision I guess.
Not everyone follows or bothers to remember the dam levels, if you plan to state some info once keep doing it every time regardless, how would a presenter know which weekend in which month someone needed the info?

aquarius
12-11-2004, 04:48 AM
Great topic Dave, I would like to see Brownie mention in his report tidal flow and best fishing times as per MAORI CALENDER.
Water clarity offshore and inshore would be helpful.
Pics are nice but time on the TV short so you can always log onto Ausfish to check out who,s catching a feed.
Cheers Brent :D

imported_admin
12-11-2004, 05:25 AM
Truth in advertising would be a good start.
Interesting how they can show fish caught from a charter and not have to disclose their financial interest in that business.

Why show pics of fish caught last week on a charter boat anyway, they don't tell you where, how, etc they were caught or give you any clue of how you might be able to do it yourself. Except I supose book a trip on that charter.

As said previously, an interpretaion of the tides, sun and moon rise and set, moon phase, solunar peaks, etc and what it will mean and the best time to try your luck. Anyone can log on the the net or pick up a booklet or newspaper and get the tide times.

Give a few more tips and hints on best options/places/species for the day/weekend.

Maybe have viewers E-mail in their catch and show that on the screen while the presenter is talking and maybe offer a small prize if your photo gets used. More interesting for the viewer if they get 5 seconds of fame.

maccaril
12-11-2004, 07:44 AM
dave
more picks with day and time of capture
rob

homebound
12-11-2004, 08:28 AM
Great Idea!

Agree with all as Chris-aka-GWH except the 'bikini' pics - don't want to get slaughtered!

Wife isn't interested in my favourite site but does like to check up on what I'm watching. Can't understand why.

Rob

devocean
12-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Up north we have some pretty good fishing reports on the local news. Reports of fish in spots with tides which is usually helpful. I would like here about news on closures and changes to laws more regularly because there seems to be jack all info filtering out that you can make sense out of. I like to see fish picis as well I like to know someone is catchin somewhere. Mostly closure info and changes to laws

Rowdy_2002
12-11-2004, 09:27 AM
I think that everyone has covered the main things we all want to see.....

It always seems like its the same places that get the mention in the Friday/Saturday nights fishing reports. More variety with the places is what is needed. We almost never hear about whats happening in the Logan River or Bay Islands.

I don't think we need to see what they have caught on the charters either.....

Nugget
12-11-2004, 09:55 AM
I think a large part of the problem is that it is very difficult to get reliable reports from anglers that don't have a vested interest in you coming to a particular location.

Charter footage and reports are easy to get because they are at a specific drop off point every day they work, so a camera can be there waiting.

What about a phone number or email address where you could report a good catch? - Would you - knowing it might be on the news next week?

How many have a video camera on board or would carry one if the footage might be used?

I think summarising - it goes like this:

A report on how the tides will affect fishing this weekend.

How the weather will affect the fishing this weekend - an intelligent summary based on the satellite map.

Solunar peaks/tidal flow percentages

Where they are biting with specific locations and at that time/bait etc is best there.

Fishing photos or footage but with more detail behind the capture - bait / time / tide etc.

The hard part is give information that keeps the gun fisho happy but still give the basics that the newbie will understand and give them a better chance.
It's a hard call because everyone has a different opinion of what is GOOD INFO!

Dave ><>

Remo
12-11-2004, 04:27 PM
So Dave when will you be Starting?
Channel 9 sign you up for this Christmas Holiday?

I think if you stick to the format you had on your website on what you think will be a best bet, for the weekend and a short summary of whats bitting around the place with some real fisho.

The rest will have to be up to us.

So is it true?

charleville
12-11-2004, 05:16 PM
What I like mostly on Brownie's report is his interpretation of the official weather forecast. #I just assume that if the winds are 10 - 15 knots, all will be OK but he adds more by describing how the chop will be on the Bay. #I don't understand weather matters to interpret the forecasts and there would be a lots of boofheads like me out there in a similar position.

What I don't especially care about is the surf forecast but obviously others do. #However, I do like to see the bread and butter fish caught that week. #It usually inspires me.

Solunar peaks - well ok if you must but most of us won't know what you are talking about - perhaps it should not be too esoteric. #The old retired weather bureau guy Ray Wilkie #who used to do the forecast on Channel 10 some years ago used to give occasional one minute tutorials about what #the weather things meant when he did it and that was pretty interesting.

Why not show in a close up the different sorts of baits and lures that people are using to catch the fish shown that week? #That would take just 10 seconds and be interesting to lots of people.

seafox
12-11-2004, 06:08 PM
Most fishing reports or for the inshore angler and of no use to offshore fisho’s I would like to see more accurate weather information for offshore fishing as well as what has been caught and where.

chiefsimo
13-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Dave.

Agree with all of the above.

Other handy information would be;
1. Is there weed on the beaches / certain areas (ie. is it a waste of time to go fishing this weekend)
2. Are there any decent beach formations? It can be hard trying to find land based spots now and again on the coast when they have een levelled by the swell & dusk is aproaching
3. Not saying, like Brownie does, refer to the coastwatch website for details on what has been caught and where - what a cop out.
4. Have u seen the Naked News on Fox?