PDA

View Full Version : Sold my boat. A moment of Reflection,,

Cheech
13-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Sold my first boat today.

It was a great boat,,,, Bought it as a shell and did it up with carpet, live bait tank, storage, canopy, rod holders, night lights, heaps of things..

I was really exited about telling the new owner about all the little things to do, to look out for, hints on launch and retrieve. Surprised me really as I thought I wouldn't care that much. When we took it for a test drive it was more like showing of my great boat , and not just trying to flog it.

Was sold to the first person to look at it. I figured it would as it was a good price and a great boat.

Then it drove away,,,,,,

Was actually quite an odd moment. Felt a bit of loss.

So I cracked open a stubbie and sat there and reflected on all the good times we had together. The improvements we made, the things we learnt together, the seas we survived, the fish we caught, the kids being towed around on the tube,,,,.

So, is this odd?

Do people get such an attachment to their boats?

Does this make me some sort of new age (boating) guy?

Or should I not add a post just after selling my boat and feeling all sentimental about it.

Cheech

MY-TopEnder
13-11-2004, 03:59 PM
Cheech mate i can understand where you're coming from.

I'm about to get rid of my VS Commodore that has served me well over the last 2 years. I know its not fishing related but my theory is it tows my boat so its fair enough... hehe

She's seen me through the young and stupid ages of legal drag racing, modifications, and wheelspin. But its time to go something bigger and better.

So out with the VS, in with the Toyota Surf...

Black_Rat
13-11-2004, 04:13 PM
First Car & Boat I felt the same :'(. Sold my first car a Sky Blue UC TORANA because I needed a ute (bought a Holden) after 2 years. Then sold my 4.2m Quinnie Dory 5 months ago. There always a sad feeling letting your first go :'( but then it's for the good ;) You have to move onto bigger and better things ;) ;D
Damo.

snappa
13-11-2004, 04:17 PM
cheech

:-[i know i know
what your going through...
i might be in the same boat next week ??? :-/

dfox
13-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Cheech -go jump in the new one. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Black_Rat
13-11-2004, 04:31 PM
Cheech -go jump in the new one. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
& get on the piss ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D (not while driving though )

yockman
13-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Cheech,
I bought my first boat from a mate whose missus was pushing him into selling it. He wasn't too happy about it. Anyway, I'd owned it for about 5 hours when he turned up at my door..... IN TEARS.... after a HUGE brawl with her. He had my cash in hand and was pleading with me to sell the boat back to him. I could have prolly made an easy grand there!!! He left with the boat, I got my dough back and soon bought another one, better as it turned out.
Funny thing, his wife has never been that keen on me ever since!!!

Don't worry, your feelings are normal.

Cheers
Yockman

bidkev
13-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Cheech mate, you got me in tears. Yes, I think it's normal........unless we're *both* abnormal :-)

The rig I posted in Reminiscing 2 was my pride and joy. I was the first bloke in the club with a sat nav and the first bloke who's deckie drove the club tractors, so I suppose I was a bit of a poser. I'd put a lot of work into her (the rig) :-) and I was as proud of her as I was of the deckie. Then we fell on hard times and it broke my heart to sell her (the boat).....I tried to sell the deckie but if I couldn't handle her, then no bugger could :-) We promised ourselves that we'd have another rig someday and it was 7 yrs hard graft in Oz that realised our dream. She aint the ideal boat, but we've grown accustomed to her and she's all ours..cash on the nose. I love her dearly (the boat) so next time I fall on hard times I'll simply have to try harder at selling the deckie :-)

I feel for you mate. How long before the next rig?

cheers

kev

Sportfish_5
13-11-2004, 06:36 PM
Cheech - Your pain will ease once you get some blood in the new boat. ;D ;D ;D

or maybe you could get the doctor to diagnosis you with depression and have a year off on full pay fishing as part of the cure :o :o :o ;D

Chin up bloke, should never be sad when you have traded up - the other way is quite acceptable to have a breakdown :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Greg

Big_Kev
14-11-2004, 11:54 AM
I know where you are coming from Cheech.
Like you i did my first boat up from a relic under some guys house.
Tears streamed down my face as I watched it being towed off into the sunset.
I thought if I had paid for the fun we had in that boat I should have given it to the bloke who bought it.
But then again a new boat came into the picture, but I have never had the same attachment to any boat since.
Cheers Kev. 8)

Fishinmishin
14-11-2004, 07:40 PM
:'( :'( :'( [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]
I love my boat. It's ugly and old :'( :'( but I love it [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] love it [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

Spydaman
15-11-2004, 07:41 AM
A few months back I sold my 14' tinny with trailer, and 18hp Tohatsu motor, felt like I sold one of me own kids, I having this boat longer than my eldest boy who is 20, and off in college. I feel for ya man.