PDA

View Full Version : Idiots

DavidObeid
18-11-2004, 07:12 AM
Hi,

Whilst I am glad that I was introduced to this site and that I have learnt heaps from it, I was wondering if someone could suggest a website or book that explained fishing in simple terms that idiots like me could understand.

I know what a rod is and I know what a reel is, I also (think that I) know what the difference is between a lure and bait, but about what the other stuff is supposed to do and how to rig it all up I have to confess that it is all a bit of a mystery. I don't expect one book or website to make me an expert, but I'd love if it could at least have me understanding the terms!

Any suggestions?

sawtellrob
18-11-2004, 07:31 AM
Dave
You can learn a bit from reading but a hell of a lot more from doing it. Check out your local fishing club, these blokes are usually really friendly and love to show someone the ropes.

DavidObeid
18-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Thanks mate, I managed to find a number for the Cronulla RSL fishing club. I'll give them a ring tonight and see if they can't teach an old (inexperienced) dog new tricks :)

Jeremy87
18-11-2004, 08:11 AM
This site will show you how to do lots of knots and rigs http://www.fishsa.com/tackle.php

sawtellrob
18-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Dave
If your fishing NSW coast you definately need to go with someone who knows their way around. There are mates here who have fished on rocks for over 10 years and I can't take my eyes off them for a second - they get easily side tracked and forget about the waves. They should also be able to show you how to pull worms, trap poddies etc. A cheap but good monthly publication is NSW fishing monthly ( also Qld monthly) This has good articles on specific areas and also tips on gear and technique. Mate, I've been fishing for over 40 years and it amazes me how much I still learn from other people.
The clubs are a great way of meeting new people and have organised outings usually once a month plus often have away trips to other fishing venues.
All the best
Rob ::)