PDA

View Full Version : mungrel mossies - beware

sawtellrob
19-11-2004, 04:26 AM
good day
Here's a message for all fisho's to take note of. About 2 months ago I took the family camping to a fantastic spot on NSW mid north coast. Of an evening there were a few mossies about but nothing to be too worried about. A couple of weeks after coming home I started to get tired and ache all over. Went to the Docs and after blood tests we find I have Barmah Forest Virus - a mungral disease carried by bloody mossies. I've been off work for the last 2 weeks (thats how I found this Website) and don't know when I'm going back. Too bloody crook to even sit in a boat and all because I was too lazy to put on repellent. Watch out for 'em lads. :'( :-X

Mick
19-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the warning Rob! Although, it becomes second nature to apply repellent in north QLD. I don't know a man that can sit in a mangrove creek without it in the tropics.
Hope ya back on the water soon and welcome to Ausfish.
Mick

gunna
19-11-2004, 07:49 AM
Good warning Rob. I don't want to make light of your situation - but seems to me if you can get some of the blood & reduce the virus effect so that you can't work - but can still fish - you would be on a bit of a winner eh ;D

sawtellrob
19-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Who said all generic engineering was bad !!!

Derek Bullock
19-11-2004, 09:52 AM
For everyones info.

Check out the following website and be aware of this and Ross River Virus. http://medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/ross%20river%20&%20barmah%20forest.htm

Cheers.

Derek

Dug
19-11-2004, 10:29 AM
Just wait till someone brings Malaria into this country.
We don't realize how good we have it here.

I feel sorry for Rob though I have had a mild dose of Ross river and it is not pleasant, Beware!!!!!

ba229
19-11-2004, 04:47 PM
I once heard that the biggest killer in the world is the humble mozzie.

So forget your concerns about crocs, snakes and spiders it is something far smaller that is a bigger killer.

And i also saw a doco on the eradication of mozzies and at one stage when a chemical (was it DTD?) was used we nearly got rid of em world wide but then found out the chemical was even worse for us and it was banned :)

ba229
19-11-2004, 04:48 PM
ohhh and sorry mate hope you get better soon.

NQCairns
19-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Sorry to hear of your disease, and your advice is timely, with interstate and O/s tourism being so high these days.

Up we are shit scared of Dengue Fever, someone I know caught it at Wonga beach on holidays. Those mosquitos are small enough to go through standard tent flys :o :o :o.
Our little Girl sleeps under a very fine mosquito net and has a fan on her at all times when out from the net to keep the little bastards >:( >:( at bay, they are in plague proportions up her in summer.
Got a friend with Ross River he didn't know he had it untill tested for an unrelated problem. he thinks he can remember the illness, apparently it can hit some people harder than others.

Dun, Malaria is here now and in every state there are those suffering it. Probably every day a big jet brings a carrier or two into the country :-X

nq