PDA

View Full Version : McGrath the Batsman??

Chrisso
21-11-2004, 01:24 PM
G'day all,

I know it isn't fishing related, but I thought we or to recognise the milestone that Glen McGrath, the Australian cricketer, has surpased today. Glen McGrath hit a towering six, the first of his career (I think), and brought up his first test 50 on his way to 54* not out at stumps on day 3 of the first testmatch between Australia and New Zealand at the Gabba. #;D

Well done Glen. #;D [smiley=laola.gif]

The best thing about summer, when the weather goes bad or your are prevented going fishing by some other means - the cricket is always on. #;D

Regards

Chris

DaneCross
21-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Great to watch... what does it say about the NZ bowling :-X :-X ;D
Ooh... ahh... Glen McGrath ;D ;D

Black_Rat
21-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Bloody sensational to watch ;D

ba229
21-11-2004, 03:14 PM
I hate channel 9.

They will be happy for you to watch cricket from 10.30 am till 6 pm but go past that? NO WAY.

How many times have i missed milestones in the last 3 or 4 overs of the day because the F....ing news HAS to start at 6pm.

They do it cause of the old people and old people make me sick at this very moment.

On the bright side god bless ABC radio for giving us the chance to listen to it and even have a laugh with Kerry OKeith.

Several years ago here in Australia D. Gough got a hat trick at 6.04pm (approx) and guess what? Yep the news was on.

Last year there was also a milestone being achieved that i can't remember now and they went to the news only to come back to the cricket 7 minutes later cause they realised what they were doing.

Channel 9 SUX and as soon as the news comes on i switch the tele off. To protest even further I don't watch the Cricket Show at lunch cause of the contempt they show towards me at 6pm religiously.

Can you tell I am mad? YOU BET I AM.

ohhh and on a brighter note the quote of the summer so far was from Mr K. OKeith. " He bowls Rock Hudsons. They look straight but they aren't" Proceeded by 15 seconds of sniggering and giggles.

Well Done ABC, Well done Glenn and go get stuffed channel 9.

PinHead
21-11-2004, 03:45 PM
If it wasn't for Channel 9 you would not have cricket as it is now. So what if you miss a bit of the cricket...they have a business to run also..ads are booked for the news etc and relays booked to take it also. As for ABC cricket, I listened to a bit of it today..G. Chappell was commentating...all they were doing was having a conversation amongst themselves and interrupting it with a description of the ball being bowled. As for Mr O'Keefe...not bad humour if you are in about grade 7...so pathetic...cannot tolerate the ABC..I want my money back for paying for such dolts commentating.

bay_firey
21-11-2004, 04:02 PM
ba

What adds to your problem is that the game is in sunny bris vegas
Which stays on Eastern Standard Time during summer, making a 5.30 finnish in Qld a 6.30 finnish down south. Hence the disruption at 6.00 for the news.
Which didn't happen here cause it was only 5.00pm

ba229
21-11-2004, 05:27 PM
If it wasn't for Channel 9 you would not have cricket as it is now.

Wake up. Was cricket around before Kerry Packer and television? Of course it was.

If they want to be the CRICKET channel for Australia perhaps they could actually respect the viewer that makes the advertising dollars for them in the first place.

Stuff Kerry and his big dollars. This is a grass roots game played by kids in the backyard. Not a medium to make more money

ba229
21-11-2004, 05:30 PM
ba

What adds to your problem is that the game is in sunny bris vegas
Which stays on Eastern Standard Time during summer, making a 5.30 finnish in Qld a 6.30 finnish down south. Hence the disruption at 6.00 for the news.
Which didn't happen here cause it was only 5.00pm

Ahhh yes. but we can knock off work and still go fishing cause the day is longer ;D

Another 1 hour daylight savings would suit me even better :-)

Big_Kev
21-11-2004, 05:59 PM
If we are goning to have a daylight saving why don't we do it in the winter???
But apart from that we gotta love the CRICKET. I love going to the cricket and having two beers. (two kegs that is)

PinHead
21-11-2004, 10:46 PM
If it wasn't for Channel 9 you would not have cricket as it is now.

The key words in that sentence are "as it is now"..and World Series Cricket made it the way it is...not sure if that was a good thing but prior to then you got stuck with banal ABC coverage on TV and that was even worse..only selected parts of the days play.

roz
22-11-2004, 05:43 AM
I watched McGrath's batting effort yesterday, couldn't believe it!!! Can't wait for play to start soon, whats the bet he gets bowled in the first over ( I hope he doesn't ), on the other hand Australia might declare.
Who are we playing in the Boxing Day Test this year?

ba229
22-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Pakistan

http://www.cricket.com.au/portal/site/menuitem.ad989ff275cf76be6918d6104420a2a0/#3AusNZ

DaneCross
22-11-2004, 05:56 AM
Alex, at least you get to see most of the days play. In Brisbane, because its being played here, they're only showing the last session of play (2:30pm-end of play). You might have missed the McGrath milestone but we missed both the Clark and Gilly tons including all the 'magical stroke play' to get them. I would love to get down to the ground to watch but can't seem to find anyone half interested to come along with me. So I have the live scorecard updating on my computer every 60sec or so because my radio is stuffed ::) People say watching the cricket is boring - well if there's anything more boring, its watching the scorecard ::) ;) ;D
Dane

ba229
22-11-2004, 06:42 AM
lol dane yeh i feel your pain.

It truely was a great day of cricket and the local cricket blackout is something that always puzzled me.

When i lived in Melbourne the 1 day games were very rarely televised.

For a match in Syd to be televised live into Syd they need a sell out crowd of around 45k (approx)

For a match in Mel to be televised live into Mel required a crowd of 80K (approx).

Subsequently we saw no matches played in Melbourne.

Why do you think i moved to a regional area? ;D Cause we get all games live (except for the last little bit ;D ;D ;D)

devocean
22-11-2004, 06:52 AM
and i missed it all after watching the cricket all day because I wanted to run siome pots I better catch some crabs

imnotoriginal
22-11-2004, 12:20 PM
I was working at the Gabba and the crowd went psycho when he hit the six. #His 50 was definitely the highlight of the entire test for me, cause it set the crowd alight and everyone left the ground cheering...well, except for the all the bloody kiwis.
Joel

Sergio_kutz
22-11-2004, 07:06 PM
McGrath, what an inspirational innings!!! Poor old mark waugh, now down a cool grand because of that effort. If only i had of thought to put someone up with that bet, i'd be a happy man :D

Mick
23-11-2004, 05:59 AM
I am suprised Mcgrath didn't take off his gloves and head to the pavillion after hitting his 6. After all, the only 6's he has hit are in the back yard against his wife's bowling and you're out after that.