PDA

View Full Version : Dawn or change of tide, which is best?

Y-Not
22-11-2004, 04:09 PM
When checking conditions to go fishing and deciding on what time to leave home, which time is best to fish?
1.be there before dawn to fish the dawn
2. the change of tide. Which is best, fishin over the high tide or over the low tide?
Our preference of course is to be out all day, but when you have limited time, which is best?

Bundaberg_Bandit
22-11-2004, 04:16 PM
I think that really depends on the place, but I have found that in most places I fish, the tide is more important

cheers

Bundy bandit

Big_Kev
22-11-2004, 04:30 PM
The best time to fish is always at anytime.
After all what else would you rather be doing?
When I get the chance I just go.

MAL
22-11-2004, 04:48 PM
If you look Reel Hard at it, i would say, he is right.
Cheers Mal. 8)

Jeremy
23-11-2004, 03:08 AM
really need to know alot more info before that question can be answered properly. Depends on the species and location. Change of tide is bite time for a few species, but it shuts down the bite for many offshore pelagic fish and also for whiting on the flats. For snapper on the reef, time is much more important than tide.

Jeremy

snappa
23-11-2004, 04:33 AM
;D
leave it to me and i will get you some snappa ;D ;D

have you ever though about leaving from scarborough ....
..around the cape to deep tempest.. ??? ???

devocean
23-11-2004, 05:19 AM
I would say tide in most places as fish really dont bite when there is no movement and at the top or the bottom of the tide. For example was fishing in the creek the other day caught jacks and bream and grunter right up to tide stopped on high than everything stopped event the fish munchin on the burley. Had to wait till the tide turned for the bites to start again. Same out in the blue I find the run is the most important. When I spear I like to be right on top or bottom of the tide because the fish tend to ly around a lot more and no be moving looking for a feed.

Cheers Devocean

Mick
23-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Lately, I think night time is kicking butt over day time. I do like low tides in creeks and high tides in the blue. Devocean is right about no water moving. Good time to dive onto sleepy fish.

devocean
23-11-2004, 07:32 AM
Im with you mick night time is for fishing day time is to pan fishing trips

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-11-2004, 08:37 AM
generalised rules don't work -

why not look at WHEN you can go fishing

& target fish according to the available circumstances.

I often target average whiting because I can easily get a feed of these from the pin with the kids in tow slashing around etc.

Also look for special tides worth putting the time aside for ie neap tides, flood tides, moon & run rising together etc

Mick
23-11-2004, 09:01 AM
I agree with Chris in that generalised rules don't work and I believe this because fishing is too fickle. Otherwise we would all know exactly when and where to go with what bait without ever failing to catch targeted species, however I disagree with the easy option to fish as I think experience and knowlege adds to being a better fisherman and fishing should be done when it suits the fish, not the fisherman.

BUT, when you have got kids in tow, the easiest option sounds more suitable. I guess it all depends on how serious a particular fisherman is or how many kiddlings you take fishing with you.

Fishing 9-5 on Saturday all ya life won't let you experience all that fishing has too offer.

Go the extra mile, see whats around the corner and get the most out of fishing!

basserman
23-11-2004, 09:18 AM
they is only two good times to go fishing

1 Daytime
2 Night time ;D

devocean
23-11-2004, 10:34 AM
I knew you had kids mick where the bloody hell are you hiding em. We could use them to clean the gear.

Dug
24-11-2004, 01:14 PM
[quote author=devocean link=board=General;num=1101039327;start=0#6 date=11/22/04 at 09:19:18]I would say tide in most places as fish really dont bite when there is no movement and at the top or the bottom of the tide.

I used to fish a narrow creek that you could chuck all day and not get a bite but when the flow stopped at the top of the tide the bream went nuts, as fast as you could bait and take the fish off they were there! #tide starts flowing again,
pack up and go home:-( # [smiley=rifle.gif]

Damm another elf

megafish71
24-11-2004, 02:06 PM
I fish more by the moon than a particular stage of the tide. Daytime or night time depends on what you are targetting.

Ron

DICER
24-11-2004, 06:35 PM
Like MegaFish71 (aka Ron) I also fish by the moon, but conditions play a part. 3 days before and after the full moon, but for jewfish it's different. I have fished succesfully for jew of the beach in Adelaide when 1) there's modest wave and wind action and 2) no moon. Tide made no difference, just as long as there was water to fill the gutter. Glassy conditions = no fish.

DICER

bidkev
25-11-2004, 01:23 PM
I would say tide in most places as fish really dont bite when there is no movement<snip>

Cheers Devocean

I posted about inshore Moreton recently and received replies saying that tide was important, but no details as to which state of tide. I don't know if this ties in with the rplies I was given but I've been over 3 times now (big tides), and contrary to my experiences fishing elsewhere, the only takes that I got were all on slack water. On one occasion I sat for 3 hrs without a bite and bang on high water, all 3 rods went off simultaneously........2 being break offs! On another occasion, same thing at slack low. Fishing the edge of Amity or Chain Bank......exactly the opposite! 45 minutes either side of low or high and I get nothing......tide starts running and immediately the fish come on. I've had a few blokes out with me and they were amazed that within 5 minutes of me saying, "any minute now", we're into the fish. OTOH, I've had success at *any* state of the tide at the Pin.

I don't bother with any of this "knowledge" as there's always exceptions to the rule, and nearly all my best fish and big bags have been contrary to my "local knowledge". I'm just happy to get out anytime and will fish even if moon phase etc is against me. When I've got my rod in my hand, I'm happy ;-)

cheers

kev

Y-Not
25-11-2004, 05:59 PM
We are planning on going out on Saturday in Moreton Bay. High tide is around 9.30am ish. We are weekend parents with 2 kids- 11yo F and 12yo M. They are both keen fishers but are not fussed on getting up early. On the oter hand, they are not fussed at not catching anything! We wonder if is worth the grief getting them up at 3.30am to fish the rising sun, or turn up there at 7.30ish and fish over the top of the tide. We are looking at squire and sweetlip. Tough decisions!

Big_Kev
26-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Get em up early and stick around till after lunch. :)

BigE
26-11-2004, 04:03 PM
when ever their biting & the best bait is what their eatin :-X :-X :-X