PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chefs !

SeaHunt
23-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Anyone watch this show, Saturday nights on SBS.?
For those of you who are not familar with it, they have these expert chefs and another chef challenges one of them to a cook off, and they only find out what the theme ingredient is when the start to cook.
They get one hour to prepare as many dishs as they like using the theme ingredient.
On Saturday it was Bonito, and both chefs had a couple of raw bonito dishes in there. And the judges were raving about how good it was. ::)
Now is it just me or is Bonito on about a par with Mactuna when it comes to chewing,? ie other fish like it, but that is about all, maybe the cat would give it a nudge. :-X
Did I mention it is a Japanese show, dubed (badly) into english.

Rowdy_2002
23-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Compared with eating a fish liver it may not be that bad... LOL

A couple of weeks ago they had some fish from deep waters and one of the dishes was the liver cooked....

They don't leave anything go to waste

basserman
23-11-2004, 09:50 AM
this is the second year it has been running!
best part of the weekend is watching that show! ;D

but in alot of part of the world the good old bonito is accaualy more highly prized than a yellow fin
'If my memory serves my right i belive it is in the solomans that they call the bonito the chicken of the sea' :P

Mick
23-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Just did a google search and I was very surprised to find out they are regarded as good eating. But, there are a few different types, not sure if they are all of the same quality. :o

mini696
23-11-2004, 10:05 AM
LOL Basserman "If memory serves me right..." classic line from every show.

I love the show. I wish there wasn't the silly American voiceovers, but I guess thats part of what makes it entertaining.

The judges seem to love the strange things cooked up. The cookup is also a chance to go all out on expensive foods like truffle, and ?falabra? (sic).

Go the Iron chef!!

Mickk

bugman
23-11-2004, 10:10 AM
I reckon I've got about 30-40 seafood cook books and a lot of them Aussie ones.

They all carry recipes for Bonito - a lot of big Aussie names chefs reckon bonito is massively underated.

I'll also state again that I've eaten Mactuna sushima on a number of occassions and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

As for the show - absolutely love it. These guys are brilliant with what they can do - I'd love to learn their knife skills.

Bugman

cooky
23-11-2004, 10:35 AM
champion show ;D

one of the only TV programs that my wife and I sit down and have a good laugh.

Love the 'foot critics' descriptions of the meals at the end

CLASSIC

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-11-2004, 11:31 AM
the contender was RIPPED OFF last week #???

The Iron Chef deserved to go down - three lousy dishes - its only cause he chucks some caviar in every week - wadda farce - & he eats the whole time ! The contendor had great technique, used many parts of the fish & was graceful in defeat - a worthy champion - befitting the title. He appears to have been punished for his traditional approach to what is a traditional food - disgraceful. ;)

Can't wait for big Ian Hewittson to take him on - come on Huey, get in there lad. #;D

megan
23-11-2004, 11:33 AM
I have been a follower of Iron Chef for the past 2 years - I just love the show and the voice overs just make it right down to the dubed laughs!

I have tried Bonito in the fish smoker and was surprised at how it cooked up and the taste - it was O.K if you can get past the fact that we use it for bait. ;D

Derek Bullock
23-11-2004, 01:41 PM
What a great show. I would love to spend a few days with some of those guys. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Derek

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-11-2004, 01:49 PM
OH GAWD #:o

BONITO MUFFINS #
[smiley=wreck.gif] [smiley=wreck.gif] [smiley=wreck.gif] [smiley=wreck.gif] [smiley=wreck.gif]

Derek Bullock
23-11-2004, 01:56 PM
[smiley=laola.gif]

Don't tempt me.

Derek [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif]

DICER
23-11-2004, 02:19 PM
sushi rules.... but miso muffins?

No definetly the sushi chef had it! At 6 dishes in 60 minutes, the skill was exceptional.

DICER

Big_Kev
23-11-2004, 02:29 PM
I have watched the show and I love it as well.
The Japs sure do eat some weird shxt.
Never know what you will be eating when you pick it up. If it tastes good swallow it. JUST DON"T ASK WHAT IT IS.
I remember seeing this green stuff once and thinking oohh guacamoli and had a big mouthfull. WRONG
WASABI. :o

Big_Kev
23-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Maybe we should all chip in and sponser Dereck to go over and show em how.

ssbayguide
23-11-2004, 04:26 PM
I am an Iron Chef nut. My wife is a chef, so it allows me to appreciate some of the nuances of high-end culinary work. She even calls what they are going to do in advance - hard core!

I reckon that a boys iron chef night would be great - especially when they get out the foie gras, anglerfish liver and the mitake mushrooms. A few beers later and I'm sure pizza would be the first choice, not raw bonito!

Dug
24-11-2004, 05:49 AM
A classic show but like "the Simpsons" I am not allowed to watch it because I get too excited and have too many ideas.

Love the voiceovers though!

Girella
24-11-2004, 06:02 AM
Chris aka

You've got to be kidding. Hewittson is a disgrace !
He got so fat eating his own cooking that he found a second
career as a walking billboard for Jenny Craig.

Lately he's been dubbed onto the end of the old Rex Hunt episodes on the Lifestyle Channel.

His recipes' main ingredients are always a lethal dose of cholestrol
and a large helping of the dirty dish rag he keeps tucked into
his dacks !

The iron chef would spit roast him and spit him out !

Give me Sally Jennyns anyday. A seafood chef who knows how
to fish. What a champion !

PinHead
24-11-2004, 12:08 PM
I am stunned by this post...does SBS really have viewers...and they admit it..whew.

Secondly..all you guys that watch a cooking show..I will be moving a motion at the next meeting of the United Male Chauvinistic Society, that none of you are ever permitted to join.

What is Ausfish coming to...SNAGSs on here ?????

Dug
24-11-2004, 12:23 PM
You obviously never watch the Iron chef token female judge

"I think I like, it but I am just a foolish woman who knows nothing about food or cooking"

and similar comments from Japanese actresses.

Besides SBS has more bare flesh than all the commercial channels put together!!!

ssbayguide
24-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Naked fish.....ooooohhh!

PinHead
24-11-2004, 02:11 PM
You obviously never watch the Iron chef token female judge

"I think I like, it but I am just a foolish woman who knows nothing about food or cooking"

and similar comments from Japanese actresses.

Besides SBS has more bare flesh than all the commercial channels put together!!!

Even the Naked News ?

I will still maintain my aversion to SBS

NQCairns
24-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Great show love it, a couple of weeks back one chef ground parts of a Lobster (even the shell :o :o) into a paste as an ingredient, never would have thought of that.
The blowfish episode had me thinking of Homer Simpson ;D

Remo
24-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Great show, quirky but good to watch. the bad voice dubbing adds to the appeal

bugman
25-11-2004, 04:21 AM
NQCairns,

When I cook all my good crayfish/lobster dishes I always crush and cook the shell and guts and rubbishy bits. That's where all the flavour is. Cook it down and then run it through cotton sieves. Add the liquid to whatever sauce your using for the most intense lobster flavour hit.

MMMMMMM lobsters MMMMMMMM

mini696
25-11-2004, 07:52 AM
The chefs do similar things on the show too. I like how they use every bit of the challenge item. And they can come up with so many various dishes in such a short time.

I remember they had Flounder as the item one week and were given 30 minutes longer because of the preparation time required.

Mouthwatering stuff there Bugman...

Mickk

lordy
25-11-2004, 08:49 AM
sushi rules.... but miso muffins?

No definetly the sushi chef had it! At 6 dishes in 60 minutes, the skill was exceptional.

DICER

I reckon I could make 10 dishes in 60 minutes and they'd all taste about as appetising as a cold fishfinger. Quality over quantity. Go the Iron chef French he was better. The problem with sushi is its a very limited art form compared to diversity of french cooking. Imagine if the secret ingredient was chocolate. That'd give the sushi chef a brain malfunction.

Funny episode was when a housewife outcooked Iron Chef Chinese. LOL that funny. Poor Iron Chef Chinese got a shocker of a special ingredient: potato. Not exactly a common ingredient in Chinese cooking and a house wife specialty.

SeaHunt
25-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Potato Lordy,
Lot of potential there for quite a range of different dishes, I reckon I could have a go at that one myself. :-/
Lets see, you got chips, french fires, curley fries, wedges, scollops, fried skins, mashed , boiled in the jacket, baked , potato bake and stuffed potatoes. ;D

mini696
25-11-2004, 10:08 AM
She beat him twice!!

CHRIS_aka_GWH
25-11-2004, 10:18 AM
here's one for ya with 'tatoes

- roughly mash some 'tatoes (don't over boil them) with some good grinds of pepper

- mash up a heap of raw flathead/bream flesh & mix in

- add heaped teaspoons of the mix to a deep fryer - hold on the spoon for a second or two before releasing helps stop sticking & cook till a golden brown

you end up with fish 'n chip balls - kids luv em - so does dad ( the rusty chef #[smiley=chinese.gif])

also good on big frames with lots of flesh you can scrape out between the bones.

CHRIS

ssbayguide
25-11-2004, 12:13 PM
The potato lady did 7 dishes in one hour.

The flounder a few weeks ago was actually an anglerfish. If my memory serves me correctly, "You can keep the fillet"

No wonder the oceans are dying.

mini696
25-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Your right it was anglerfish.

Oops [smiley=hammer.gif]

Dug
25-11-2004, 02:39 PM
Potatoes?

I could cook a 7 course Irish Banquet in an Hour.

1 boiled spud and a 6 pack of Guinness!

bungie
26-11-2004, 05:32 AM
when and where is this show ?

mini696
26-11-2004, 07:02 AM
Saturday nights on SBS.

I think it is at 8:30pm (check your local guide).

landbasedtossa
26-11-2004, 05:22 PM
Yeah, top viewing the ' iron chef '. ' Late night poker ' is another cracker on SBS that is worth checking out.