PDA

View Full Version : Personal Space

Mick
24-11-2004, 07:25 AM
A couple of fishing spots in my area are well known sunken wrecks like planes, barges and yachts. If I arrive at a spot that I want to fish and there is already a boat there, am I required to patiently wait to the side or should I just move on? Due to the small amount of structure on the bottom, baits have to be dropped into a bulls eye target to get hook ups.
How close is too close?

SeaHunt
24-11-2004, 07:34 AM
It is different for different people, best bet is to pull up beside them and ask how close you can anchor to them. Whats OK for you might not be OK for them.
Being courteous usually avoids the fishin rage. :)

Heath
24-11-2004, 08:03 AM
IMO you should be far enough away so that if you were to both cast as far as you can, your lines should not meet.

Common sence though should be used.

agnes_jack
24-11-2004, 08:27 AM
To avoid hassles, I always try to allow for the fact that if someone hooks a big cobe or similar, there is enough room not to be a problem. This can be a fair distance!
A small wreck is probably not enough room for more than one boat. Depends on the situation.

Regards, Tony :-/ :-/

sawtellrob
24-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Same as beach and rock etiquette mate. If its a small hole and someones in it go find another - have seen some nasty incidents over the years with "fishing rage"
Fishing is meant to be a good time not a s--t fight.

Mick
24-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the replys. My thoughts have been echoed. What a bummer it is though to travel 10 miles out to see to fish a spot you have been planning for weeks only to find another boat there. I agree that wrecks are probably to small for more than one boat to fish, especially in deep water where there is alot of room for lines to cross.

Dug
24-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Courtesy, ask if you can anchor up and keep an eye out if they hook something big give them a clear run at it.

I don't mind fishing close to someone who knows how to behave well, but I hate fishing near Idiots!

If they anchor of fish to close to you just catch a small fish and pound it to death with a large heavy object while laughing and screaming like a maniac! they usually move pretty quickly after that

;D ;D [smiley=rifle.gif]

Damm More pesky elves!

gif
24-11-2004, 03:34 PM
Just FYI

in the Bream and Bass Competitions the rules are 30 metres apart ( 1 cast )

Gary

Daintreeboy
24-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Had some idiots not know what they were doing so they pulled up really close to us. When the anchor line came up tight you could have lobbed a shot put into their boat, and we weren't on a wreck either. We thought disgression was the better part of valour so we moved to another spot around 100 metres away and guess what, they up anchored and came over, same distance again.
They were just trying to make sure they would catch something but that is just so rude....
Moffy and I had an incident up the Daintree River involving a charter boat operator that was pretty nasty too, I'll let him tell that one. ;D

Fishinmishin
24-11-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm with the casting distance as a rule of thumb. I've fished the large eddie at the north wall of wave break island before and these idiots came so close that every time their boat did a circle in the eddie, it would hit ours and we had to push it off. The 1st two times [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] I thought mabey they would relise and p**s off but on the 3rd time an angry "would you like to come sit on my lap and fish you idiot" got them moving. With working surface action there are firm rules in my book. I've cubed and finally brought action to the back of my boat only to have some [smiley=angryfire.gif] [smiley=angryfire.gif] troll right though them and put them down and off the bite. When someone is chasing and casting into the schools I believe you can do the same as long as staying just casting distance from the school and other boat. When they are silent drifting, I believe you should try the same as perhaps they have had no success every time there is noise, so make a wide approach upwind and drift or find another school. If they are trolling, I believe anythings OK as long as give way to your right applies and give fair distance. My 2 bob. ;)

Donger70
24-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Courtesy, ettiquette and common sense should all prevail when deciding to fish etc close to another person. Nothing is more annoying then after enjoying some quite time fishing having someone turn up and set up right next to you, even worse when a family turns up, with 2 miles of clear space either side of you and the kids start swimming through your lines. Then they get upset when they cop a sinker in the back of the head......... accidently of course :-X

Heath
25-11-2004, 05:43 AM
Come out to Palmbeach if you want to learn about person space!!!! sometimes over 100 boats fishing one small patch of reef!!! Gets very interesting sometimes.

agnes_jack
25-11-2004, 06:16 AM
Heath
No thanks!!!!!!!!

Regards, Tony ;D ;D ;D ;D

Volvo
25-11-2004, 06:21 AM
:)Courtesy, First in best dressed, have a few more spots up your sleev for backup ;)....
Might just be they've planned that trip for over a week also..
Cheers

devocean
25-11-2004, 11:43 AM
You know how I feel mick

Willo
25-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Come out to Palmbeach if you want to learn about person space!!!! #sometimes over 100 boats fishing one small patch of reef!!! #Gets very interesting sometimes.
Yeah Guys
Fishin for spots at Palmy Reef can be a real turn off at times.
Besides all the yellin and screamin at guys anhoring too close (they just don't realise how hard and fast Mackeral can run when hooked up,or just plain dickheads) can be costly as well.I had a guy anchor in front of me and was fishing over my anchor.He eventually hooked a spot which took off over and under my anchor rope and the heat of the fishin line running over my anchor rope gut it off like a hot knife through butter.Did a anchor a couple of meters of chain and half a anchor rope about $70 to replace it.

Heath
25-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Willo has a top photo of Palmy that shows just how many boats get out there sometimes :o :o :o

Cheech
25-11-2004, 04:06 PM
I think it is important to consider the spot. In an estuary situation, the distance has to be less than off shore.

I fished in a hole at mud less than a cast from the next boat, who was less than a cast from the next boat. Before I set up, I asked the other boat if the distance was ok. It was, but if it was not then I would have moved further.

But if offshore, yes a much bigger distance would be needed.

Moffy
25-11-2004, 04:22 PM
incident Daintree Boy is referring to was a cracker - we were sounding some deep snags in the Daintree to fish the bottom of the tide - we'd just sounded across the main snag and were about to turn back to anchor on it. A well known charter operator up this way cruised in basically in our prop wash as we were turning and dropped anchor.

talk about unimpressed. >:(

made up for it by frustrating the hell out of him by anchoring at next snag upstream and pulling a host of fish whilst his clients managed to blow everything they hooked. a bit (probably more than warranted) of noise on our part (rattling anchor chain and bashing the mud off the anchor against the bow of the tinnie) as we left had us feeling better too.

also common once on a spot out the reef to get mobbed even up here. Daintree Boy and I were fishing a spot a few miles inside the reef proper one morning. one boat came past on his way to the reef and came over for a look as most do - saw us into fish and so dropped the pick way too close. half an hour later and we had 9 boats within a sinkers throw. (nothing like what it sounds like you guys further south experience - but a pain in the ar*e all the same.)

left them too it (bite was over anyway - probably from all that chain rattling down). still had a good day in the end though ;D

i won't even go into the time a guy anchored between me and a horse spanish mackeral on its first run - just so he could watch the fight - ended up catching it and they gave a standing ovation so couldn't stay mad at them. ::)

Willo
25-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Willo has a top photo of Palmy that shows just how many boats get out there sometimes :o :o :o

Here tis

adrian
26-11-2004, 04:26 AM
i had a boat load anchor up with in a meter of me you could reach into their boat and use their bait without upsetting your boat. and four other boat at the four beacons. then send drift baits down between the four of us . one of the other boats got jack of it as the baits where coming down both sides of the boat!! .so they got some gear of these morons then moved over to our other side . one of them went over the side he surfaced near the beacons and tied all their lins round the beacon and gave a tug . the guy then appeared at our boat and gave us the tackle .he asked he could use our anchor line as a guide to find the boat that was being a pain .he came back up with an anchor and bungs gave us the bungs and said we should move on with him .
he told later that the anchor and bungs was from the boat being a pain and these guys had been annoyimg the crap out of everyone for hours

it seemed cruel but someone had a gutfull of them be fore me don't know if they got back but hope they laern not to get so close

anzac

devocean
26-11-2004, 04:47 AM
When the mackeral run up here in Bowen there can be as many as 50 boats on tha patch all trolling in the same circle all catching fish and we never seem to have any problems. I think common sense has to prevail and if they got there earleir than you than to bad.

mini696
26-11-2004, 04:51 AM
I agree with the general sentiment in the previous posts;

If someone got to your spot earlier - too bad -

Mickk

Mick
26-11-2004, 08:53 AM
When the mack patch is working we should get a copper out there to direct traffic devo.

mini696
26-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Or a "chopper" and just hover above everyone (ala GoldLotto ad), they'll soon get enough of the 100knot downdraft and leave.

Mickk

Mick
26-11-2004, 09:05 AM
...but he doesn't get air sick!

BigE
26-11-2004, 04:13 PM
anyone know the range of a slingshot & a No3 ball sinker :o

mako_5.2
26-11-2004, 10:56 PM
Try Moreton Bay when the Banana prawns are on.It looks like an extra island in the bay.They would cast on top of you if they thought they could get the prawns out of your bucket!