PDA

View Full Version : Crabs as bait

imnotoriginal
25-11-2004, 05:03 PM
G'day guys,
just wondering if anyone has had success using those little red-spotted crabs that hang about on the beaches or the little ghost crabs that pop up at night as bait. Any information on species and rigging them up would also be appreciated. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Joel

devocean
26-11-2004, 03:58 AM
Yes I try to use crabs all the time is I can for both blue water and creeks. I find that I catch cods, jacks, and bream on ghost and other types of crabs. I like to use ghost crabs in my berley to.

As for the blue water I find they are the best bait for blueys and parrot by a long shot. I know a guy who uses half mud crabs for bait and catches huge fish.

As for rigging them up I put the hook throught the bottom leg and into the carpace where it seems to fit nicely. Or through the bottom of the carpace and out the other side. Some people like to remove all the legs but I prefer to leave them on.

All in all I find they are bloody good bait

Devocean

Mick
26-11-2004, 11:00 AM
We have used the ones in the cone shaped shells. Great bait, however, make sure you extract the crab out of the shell before going fishing, as it can be frustrating trying to hammer the shells in the boat. The shells take a good belting to crack open and the bits of shell are very sharp and can hurt your bottom if you sit on a piece of shell projectile. :o

webby
26-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Cannot beat a rock or sleepy crab for chasing tuskies, and the best way to keep them alive on the hook, super glue or locktite , believe it or not ;D
regards

devocean
27-11-2004, 04:45 AM
Yeah Mick still cleaning the boat and the missus got one in the foot I blamed you thanks Mick

wacco_fozzy
27-11-2004, 05:03 AM
If you are using hermit crabs for bait, try holding the shell over a cigarette lighter for a couple of seconds. Once the shell starts to heat up said crab bails out pretty quick and you don't have the hassle of sharp pieces of shell, or a mangled crab if you're a bit heavy handed with the hammer.

Dug
27-11-2004, 06:47 AM
Don't let the greenies read that hint!

imnotoriginal
27-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the advice fellas. Here's hoping I can find a few crabs and the fish that eat them too :D
Joel

devocean
27-11-2004, 07:53 AM
Thanks wacco that is some good advice

bidkev
27-11-2004, 02:03 PM
*Any* crab, just before it sheds it's shell (peeler) and just after (softie) is a killer bait. The way to tell a peeler is to break it's leg (slowly) at a joint and pull gently. If it comes away with meat on, then you got yourself a top bait. Do that to all the legs and you can thread the meat up a long shanked hook........For the body........lift the shell slowly at the purse and it should come off revealing a "softie" bring the hook out between a leg stump and the bait should stay securely on the hook. If they're very soft, just wrap some elasticated cotton around to secure. If you ever turn a rock, or have the courage to feel by hand around groynes etc, and there is a crab slung underneath another (normally of the opposite sex, then the one being carried (underneath) is always a peeler or softie.

cheers

kev

joeT
27-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Are soldier crabs any good as bait? And what are the restrictions on gathering crabs as bait in the bay?

Captian_Zero
28-11-2004, 03:43 PM
JoeT

The little black soldier crabs are a good whiting bait. Try two or three on the hook at once.

The big blue soldier crabs apparently make good berley crushed up and mixed with sand although I am yet to try it.

Regards

Chris