PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Party

Maxg
15-11-2004, 11:06 PM
I know its kind of late in the piuece, but were there any FP guys in the Election in Qld and how did they go. Same applies to NSW. Would be interested in the result. Max

kc
16-11-2004, 04:58 AM
Hi Max,

If you backtrack a bit on this site you will see a heap of information just after the election on results. In a nutshell we ended up with 30,000 votes. (only had enough $$ for 40,000 how to vote cards). We manned 25 polling booths in Qld and averaged 6.2% of the vote in manned booths up to a maximum of 20.6% in one NQ booth of 1000 voters.

In the wash-up our preference arrangements were vital in the end seante results and have several committments from the National Party which we will expect to be honoured (& to date the Nats have been publically acknowledging these committments).

We now sit and await with interest the next 12 months or so and have already had a number of meetings with state Mps and the fisheries minster and several more planned. We are about making it very clear to the politicians that rec fishos will vote to protect their rights and now have their attention....this was always the point.

If TFPQ is now to move forward we need more members, more input into policy and branches across the state. We also need some support from industry, particularly tackle and boating who ultimately live off our money. An interesting time ahead. We made our point but it was a lot of work done by a small few and it needs to now rally the troops across the state if we are going to continue to make a difference.

Regards

KC

Glind
16-11-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi KC,
What I feel in very important now, is to raise some revenue to fund such things as travel, meetings, promotional events etc. This is only achieveable by increasing member numbers. My opinion is that sub branches should be formed and we are looking at starting a Bribie sub branch, perhaps the first sub branch of the Fishing Party. We have had a meeting with a small number of concerned people from all walks of life and have now decided to do something about it. Considering the amount of people who fish in Queensland (estimate of about a hundred thousand), and the number of people who support the idea of the Fishing Party, the numbers of people who actually paid to keep the concept running by paying $22 was alarmingly low. I think it was only around 1000. This is about 1% or less.
If something is not done soon, the hard work done by a few dedicated to the Fishing Party, will be forgotten by the time the next election comes around if it folds due to lack of funding.
My thoughts.
Tim

kevy
16-11-2004, 10:47 AM
yo glind. lets know re fishing party on bribie, & how to subscribe or join whatever, regards kevy. :) :)

gunna
16-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Down here in Sydney in my Federal seat of Greenway the Fish Party rep Joe Chidiac (you know him as Jocool) gave his preferences to the Liberals who in turn won the seat for the first time since its creation over 20 years ago. That win was undeniably helped along by the Fishing Party preferences. Would be nice to see some recognition of that by the new Liberal MHR. Unfortunately nothing that I have seen.

dazza
16-11-2004, 11:10 AM
kevy,
have e-mailed a bit of info and membership form
cheers
dazza

agnes_jack
16-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Too many people will sit around and wait till it is too late, then start whinging about it.
The $22 gives membership for 3 years, thats is about the price of one kilo of pillies per year. Surely anyone would consider that next to nothing if it means that future generations may still have the option to go fishing. How else do we get a say in the future of our chosen sport. The estuary systems are the next target of the green lobby, catch and release fishing is also on the hitlist.
Join up or put up with the flawed theorys that are being used as "scientific excuses" to take away our rights.
I for one owe it to my children and future grandchildren, to try my best!

Regards, Tony

kc
16-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi Tim,

I'm down your way on 28th November on business. If you want to try to organise a meeting for that night (Sunday) I am happy to turn up and be of any help I can.

Branches will now be the next way to go. Col from Fisher Boats will be keen to be involved as I have already spoken to him a few times.

Regards

KC My number is 0414785 462 if you want to talk to me about it.

jocool
16-11-2004, 03:24 PM
Would be nice to see some recognition of that by the new Liberal MHR. Unfortunately nothing that I have seen.

Its early days yet Gunna. But be assured that I have been in contact with Louise, and we will be throwing some ideas around in the very near future! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

If you are in that electorate, do you have any ideas that can be discussed?

Glind
17-11-2004, 04:39 AM
Hi All,
Kev is coming to Bribie on the 28th Nov to run through some pointers such as the FP legal requirements etc and do a how to on setting up a sub branch.
If any other interested parties want to come along with a view to starting up their own sub branch somewhere or even to see how the Bribie crew is doing it, then feel free to join in. We will be meeting at the Bribie Island Hotel at 5pm on Sunday 28th Nov.We will find a quite corner and have a meeting, toss a few ideas around and be home in time for dinner.
Let me know if you are interested.
Tim

gunna
17-11-2004, 06:19 AM
Its early days yet Gunna. But be assured that I have been in contact with Louise, and we will be throwing some ideas around in the very near future! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

If you are in that electorate, do you have any ideas that can be discussed?

What about size and catch limits signs in multiple languages on all public wharves and jetties. What about stopping sewage into the upper reaches of the Hawkesbury. What about a continued push for more pro buy-outs in Sydney Harbour & Hawkesbury. Hmmm - almost seems as if we have discussed this before on another site old mate ;D ;D ;D

notts_so
17-11-2004, 07:09 AM
Long live the fishing party [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif]

Glind
17-11-2004, 07:19 AM
Yes Gunna, there is always a lot of talk and not much action, that is my point, hence the importance of getting financial members who give a stuff and actually do the business. If people are prepared to pay the $22 for 3 years membership, then they are serious about doing something and going to the occasional meeting, not just pointing out all the faults in the current system. If people want change, then people are simply going to have to do something about it. Talk is cheap, running a lobby group is not. Collectively we have to keep going on this.

gunna
18-11-2004, 06:23 AM
I agree Glind. Interestingly there has not been any push down here for membership. In fact very litle mention of the Party on the Sydney based forums. I tried to do my bit during the last election & donated direct to Jocool to try to help him fund his campaign. A bit more than $22 too I might add.

kevy
18-11-2004, 11:11 AM
yo dazza, received info re fishing party, thanks. i,ll go to the meeting on the 28th at the bribie pub & sort it out from there, pay fees etc. regards kevy. :)

kc
18-11-2004, 02:48 PM
Good to see a few of you planning to turn up. Tell any mates. It will be an historic event forming our first sub-branch and who knows where it will lead. One thing is for sure. It beats the hell out of just whinging about things when you actually have a go at making a difference. The future of our sport, really is in our own hands as the current political system will be the death of recreational fishing if it continues to run its present course without us taking a stand.

Look forward to meeting a few of you on Sunday 28th.

Regards

KC

gif
19-11-2004, 03:25 AM
To: Bribie Guys

I will be taking my 2 boys to Bribie this weekend and staying locally. It would be a good opportunity to say hi and fill you in about the last election, and give you a few stickers and posters. ( and you could always point us toward a few fish while you are at it!)

Give me a call of email me your number.

look forward to it.

Gary
0412 111 573
g.fooks@uq.net.au

Glind
20-11-2004, 04:39 AM
Gary, will see you there. I'm hoping to ask the local game club and other fishing clubs on the Island to see if they want to come and along. Can't hurt as the majority of these clubs urge the younger generation to join and they are the future.

Gunna, if we can do something up here, I will let you know some tips that worked for us and maybe you could try it down south. It will only take a few people to start making a noise and doing something and things should start to happen. The hardest step is the first one espercially when you go onto new ground. Here's hoping.

Tim

gif
20-11-2004, 08:43 AM
Sure

This is just a pre - meeting. Kevin is teh Guru and teh spokes person.

I will be learning too - but happy to tell you what I know and think - fill you in on the history for 30 minutes or so.

Col's office 10 am saturday

look forward to meeting you guys
Gary

Glind
25-11-2004, 04:37 AM
Hi All, Just a reminder that a Fishing Party sub branch meeting is to be held at the Bribie Hotel on this Sunday at 5pm.
Bribie is hopefully going to be the first sub branch and if anyone is interested, come along.
Tim

gif
25-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Bribie Hotel? #

Is that the one on the Surf Side? #at Woorim? # or is it???

Glind
25-11-2004, 10:13 AM
The Bribie Hotel is the one just over the bridge on the left hand side and over looks the Passage. It's easy to find.

luigi
25-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Onya Kevin & the rest of you guys. Hope the meeting goes well. Pitty its a bit far to travel (1500k) from up here.

I coughed up with my $22 membership to the FP some time ago & I tell ya, it feels good to be able to support something I really believe in & thats fishing. So how about it you mob?

Cheers - Lou

BigE
26-11-2004, 04:28 PM
just a thought ??? are donations [smiley=greedy.gif] to political parties tax [smiley=evil.gif] deductable [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

dazza
30-11-2004, 05:44 AM
hi all,
yesterday arvo we had our meeting. it was attended by 12 people. a big thanks to kev collins and gary fooks who attended and pointed us in the right direction.
the north brisbane sub branch of the fishing party was formed.
we had a good cross section of the community. ie rec fisho's, local bussinessmen and commercial fisherman.

we are planning another meeting in early january. i will post the date and location asap.
the main agenda item will be the inshore fin fish management plan.
currently the govt are reviewing OUR bread and butter species ie: bream, whiting, flathead etc. they will be looking at size and take and possession limits, spawning season closures etc etc. there are a couple of worrying paragraphs relating to closure of certain areas to fishing.

for those who recon it won't happen in our back yard, have a lok up north. it has happened.

i urge everyone to have a read.
www.dpi.qld.gov.au/extra/pdf/fishweb/strategic_direction.pdf

if anyone wants a membership form or fishing party stickers pm or e-mail me your address and i will get them to you

cheers
dazza

gif
30-11-2004, 06:42 AM
Cheers guys

It was great to meet you all There are a lot of smarts - knowledge and ideas out amongst you all.

As you know Kevin Collins grew up at Donybrook - his dad had the boat hire for years. So as well as knowing the North where he lives now, he knows the Passage - its just that he is out of date with current issues. Thats where you guys coem in.

I would enjoy coming to your meetings so please set up a few dates and book a room. If you like I could share teh results from the last election. ( I'm good on boring stuff like that!)

So - whats the email address and phone number for people to contact you ?

Gary

dazza
30-11-2004, 10:02 AM
thanks gary

contact details are as follows
darren apps (dazza)
ph 0417191282
e-mail hoorang@bigpond.com

cheers
dazza

dazza
03-12-2004, 10:25 AM
fishing party queensland, north brisbane sub branch meeting
wednesday 15th december commencing 7.00 pm
at shed number 2, 213 #1st avenue bribie island, next to bribie boats
main agenda item is the inshore fin fish management policy,
we hope to explain the above policy, and provide as much information as possible

again i urge people to have a read
www.dpi.qld.gov.au/extra/pdf/fishweb/strategic_direction.pdf

cheers
dazza

luigi
03-12-2004, 05:26 PM
G'day Dazza,

I have just waded/ploughed my way through that DPI reference you gave & fair dinkum, my head is reeling. You would need to be Einstein to fully understand what it's all about I reckon. But then again, I suspect that's the purpose - make it difficult for the average Joe so he will bung it in the 'Too Hard' basket.

I get the impression that once again, commercial & recreational fishing is being put into the same basket similar to what GBRMPA has done in the Representative Areas Programme. If so, rec fishing will dip out once more.

Instead of all this goblegoop, why can't they just look at what has been done in the Northern Territory & implement similar measures over here. A vibrant ecologically sustainable fishery has been created in the Territory, I can't see why their ideas won't do the same for Queensland & the rest of Australia.

But then again, I suppose that idea would be too easy.

Glind
04-12-2004, 04:21 AM
The meeting will be held at shed 2, 213 First Avenue, Bribie Island.

dazza
04-12-2004, 04:57 AM
hi luigi,
there is a fair bit in the document.
one thing that is worrying is that the rap and consultation is due late 2004
i might be a bit cynical but to me it looks like it is going to be released pretty close to christmas (they have done that before)
we will wake up to the new year with new regs and closures, and fisheries telling us that we were consulted but weren't interested.
we have been down this path before.
as rec fisho's appathy is our worst enemy, time to muster the troops before it is too late
cheers
dazza