PDA

View Full Version : scarborough reef

formosa1
02-12-2004, 02:32 PM
does anyone regularly fish the scarborough reef or surounding area? i would be very interested to hear how you go and the best baits,tides and etc, that you think work best. :)

Aaron_Fogarty
03-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Formosa1
One of the most heartbreak local points accesssable by small boats. You can still catch snapper there up to 10kg but the blokes who know how to do it are very few and far between.(Darcy Jones is the best I know) Best baits for snapper are local yellowtail, certain parts of the fish being better than others. The bottom out there is ruthless and most times if you do hook up you get busted off. The shallow reefs that are covered at high tide produce some good bream through the winter months.(gar fillets being the best bait) Fish up to 1KG are common here. Last of all its one of the best places in SE QLD for giant cat fish (except mud Island) through the summer months you can fill your boat.
If it was me and I was taking my son out for the day. I would get some large prawns on a 2/0@hook and throw them around in a berley trail.
Good Luck
Aaron

Black_Rat
03-12-2004, 05:43 PM
formosa1,
If you find those sacread spots, let me know i'll be there in the 5.2m ;)
:o ;D ;D ;D
Damo

beefaman
04-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Dark nights on the reef with small hard bodies and poppers ;)