PDA

View Full Version : Loggerhead Turtles

Derek Bullock
02-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Wouldn't it be great if we had similar research into our fishing. Or is there ? ? ? ?

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_conservation/wildlife/watching_wildlife/turtles/turtle_tracking/premiere/

Derek

DICER
02-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Amazing stuff....

How does a loggerhead fare in a cyclone??

And only 1 of 7381 hatchlings to return from the 1975 brood!

devocean
03-12-2004, 04:45 AM
Most of them go into the creeks I believe.

agnes_jack
03-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Devo
I,d go along with that one. Certain creeks in this area are loaded with turtles!
They pop up at night and scare the living bejeses out of ya while youre fishing.
It's a wierd noise when they come up for air a few feet away.

Regards, Tony

devocean
04-12-2004, 04:19 AM
Yeah have had the same problem. Had a mate come up from Brissy took him creek fishing in the middle of the night. The creeks up here are loaded with them and you occassionally catch the odd one as well. Well they kept popping up near the boat and breathing and Ikept telling this guy they were crocs. He started to get scared pretty quickly until I showed him they were just turtles. He hates turtles now but it is amazing how many turtles there seem to be around the place.

Had an incident here last week where a couple of months ago a turtle lay its eggs on one of our more prestigious bays in Bowen. When they hatched a couple of guys were reported putting several in a bucket. Now I keep marine fish and I have for about 18 years and even I know you need a big tank for them suckers. Dont know what they would do with them.

Oh well hope to see lots of them more keeps the jelly fish numbers down.

Devocean

agnes_jack
04-12-2004, 10:46 AM
The missus and I were at the mon repo turtle rookery near bundaberg about 6-8 years ago during the daytime. Usually during the day there is very few people around, most of the activity there occurs at night. We were gobsmacked to see a group of about 3-4 blokes walking along with a peice of wire hunting for turtle eggs!!!!!
At the time there were no rangers to be found.

Tony >:( >:( >:(