PDA

View Full Version : Best fishing Russell Coight Story

devocean
03-12-2004, 10:31 AM
I am assuming everyone knows who Russel Coight is from TV well I sure plenty of people out there in ausfish land have a coighty story or two.

For example heard a good one the other day. Three blokes I know were fishing up a gutter in croc infested waters chasing jacks. Already had 2 decent jacks in the boat. Anyhow one started to spew over the side (doing his bit for burley) when another went to go relieve himself on the same side. Boat tipped over lost all the gear, wallets, fish ect. Had to swim the boat down to the mouth of the gutter to turn it over and get towed back to the ramp because the motor wouldnt start.

Anyway would like to here any good Coighty stories and if you read this Mick we will not discuss the Mackeral fuel debarcle.

Cheers Devocean

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-12-2004, 11:04 AM
for my second straddie classic I set up a bank of cig lighter sockets in the top of a small esky lid - the battery inside the esky.

The idea - run a punt ontop a 4WD down main beach to the pin to troll for big lizards. The portable electrics to allow sounders, lights for night etc. fitted quickly.

System worked brilliantly until a storm fill the sockets with rain & seawater - they then began sparking & shorting out all over the place - was hard to disconnect as the battery was below the sparking esky lid - i ended up just grabbing the lid & taking some 12V hits while ripping wires out.

Sparks & 22 litres of fuel mmmmm .

cheers,
chris coight [smiley=cowboy.gif]

oh yeah the sockets from Supacheap rusted out then within a week

Dug
03-12-2004, 01:11 PM
2 both on a deep water mangrove creek I used to live on (mmmm fishing heaven) anyway

Guy one fishing alone with 150lb hand-line catches a huge snapping eel thing and is so excited he just skull-drags ot into the boat. The eel thing goes berserk lashing and snapping he grabs the only weapon he has and attacks the eel thing with much force. (Just why anyone would have a small axe in a wooden boat remains a mystery)

So the eel thing is snapping away and he is madly chopping away untill he kills it.............He then realizes the floor of the boat is chopped to pieces so he starts to row for the bank. It was like watching a cartoon in real life. He almost made it we would have helped more if we could have stopped laughing.

Second was a guy climbing up the muddy bank with a sack of mud crabs alive and untied He is just knee deep in soft mud when the bag breaks and 6 angry muddies start looking for cover to escape......

Best place for a mud crab to hide..... A HOLE made by his leg.....except his leg was still in the hole......NOT GOOD bare feet bare leg 6 angry mudcrabs.

he was up and out of there so fast it was amazing we recovered the catch for him but I can still see the look of fear on his face.

NQCairns
03-12-2004, 02:45 PM
Ok, two people named person number 1 and person number 2. Person number 1 is new to the fun of fishing and boating, everything he catches is usually his first, person number 2 has a few years of fishing under his belt.

Xmas mud crabing trip: 1 and 2 take 1s boat to set the pots cause 1 has never done it before with the idea to swap boats for the pickup the next day.

The next day in 2s boat with 2 at the CC and 1 doing the pulling two undersized muddies get pulled up in the first pot one of each gender, 2 explains how to handle them and how to tell M&F apart [smiley=2thumbsup.gif].
The rest of the trip sees 1 dealling with the crabs and 2 driving and packing up pots. They are in a bit of a rush cause 1 has to get back to work asap.

2 is unhappy with the numbers of undersized males and big females being reported by 1 just before they go overboard, by the end of the trip 1&2 have a couple of small but just legal crabs each for xmas day [smiley=laola.gif]
2 takes all four crabs home where 1 will pick up his share that evening.

When 2 gets home and starts doing all the stuff a person does after a crabing trip and gets to dealing with the crabs he notices that he was handleing 4 females :o :o [smiley=freak.gif] [smiley=oops.gif] [smiley=policeman.gif] [smiley=behead.gif]

NQCairns
03-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Dug, angry mudcrabs and bare legs ;D ;D ;D ;D

ballast
03-12-2004, 06:16 PM
While we are on the mud crab theme.
Probably 25 or more years ago now. My older step-brother took a local football identity (who shall remain nameless as he is probably still large and mean enough to shove both of us into a crab hole if he chose to) crabbing down in one of the creeks at Cribb Island. This is back in the days when it was still legal to use a crab hook.
Now my step-brother was a bit of a legend at this and after getting a number of crabs into the boat, footballer thinks this looks like a bit of fun and decides to have a go himself.
Step-brother helps out on first attempt and gets crab to close to opening of hole. Up steps footballer. At this point in time large buck resident in afore-metioned hole decides to make a break for freedom of the creek.
"Grab it", yells step-brother, "Okay", says footballer, "Not likely", thinks buck. Buck latches onto thumb of footballer who passes out from pain. Now admittedly step-brother should have probably stepped in here and tried to help out. But apparently the sight of the large buck heading for the water attempting to drag the even larger arm of the footballer with it was just a little too much for him to bear, and he decided to take the opportunity while footballer was non-compus to roll around the floor of the boat pi$$ing himself laughing.

Aaron_Fogarty
04-12-2004, 12:58 PM
40 years ago old grandpa Fogarty use to ride his pushbike down to Cabbage Tree creek with a couple of dillies and a bottle of Mc williams at Deagon. He use to just thow the crabs into an old sugar bag as he was too drunk to tie them up. Anyway dad and his mates were watching Pa ride up Muller road drunk with the crabs slung over his back. When suddenly he thew his arm and legs into the air and came crashing off the push bike. On closer inspection one of the giant bucks had put his claw through a hole in the bag and grabbed the old fella in the middle of the back. Took them 5 minutes to get the crab off him. REVENGE OF THE MUDDY