PDA

View Full Version : CAn't catch the damn things

Brett_Hoskin
05-12-2004, 06:16 PM
There are heaps of either mac tuna or bluefin tuna about , chasing herring in close to our harbour breakwalls.

I have thrown everything known to man at them and the bloody things won't even look at it.

Any tips for a frustrated fisho .

Local_Guy
05-12-2004, 07:35 PM
retrieve faster :P.

change lures until u find one that they will attack.
try poppers which immitate a scattering bait fish.

use live baits.

Dug
06-12-2004, 06:18 AM
Grenade!!!! ;D

NeilD
06-12-2004, 07:24 AM
The Tuna in Moreton Bay are currently feeding on very small baitfish. When this happens drop down in size to match the hatch or upgrade to something quite a bit larger to look like something feeding on the bait.

Neil

devocean
07-12-2004, 04:20 AM
I have found that the tuna will only take very small slices or slugs. Anything large they wont bother with. To be honest I have found little raiders to be very effective as well as these little slug type metal lures I bought from crazy clarks in a 5 pack really good but change the trebles. Any shiny lure about 5 to 7 cm long seems to do the trick for me. Anything bigger and they just wont take it.

That is just from my experience

Aaron_Fogarty
07-12-2004, 06:17 AM
Live bait, lighter line, patience and a little luck. Try snipping the tail off your live hearing to slow him down a bit.

whiteman
07-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Chuck something at them like a slug using a rod/reel combo which is completely inadequate for the job. In frustration I sometimes use my creek baitcaster when the school gets close and it always seems to get a bite (then I get spooled or busted off!).

imnotoriginal
07-12-2004, 01:09 PM
lol, good tip, fish have a way of zeroing in on the most inadequate gear for the job.
Joel

CHRIS_aka_GWH
07-12-2004, 01:43 PM
.... Try snipping the tail off your live hearing to slow him down a bit.

herring with hook on board vs tuna

you seriously think the tuna needs help #;)

more likely the target isn't moving fast enough

cast into clean water, slightly wide of the boil & do a drop back near the boil.

I've got a lead head jig with some fluffy white feather stuff about an inch long works well on tunas. When wet it looks like fry. Closest thing to that evil fly fishing scorcery I'll let near my boat.

chris