PDA

View Full Version : Land based option around Airlie

old_mate_china
07-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Can anyone recommend a few land based options around Airlie Beach. I will be lucky enough to have 4 nights there next week with wife and kids. At least one day I'll have to try for a fish or two. Any locals on line with a recomendation??

I will probably have two littl'uns in tow (4 & 7) so wont be able to achieve too much or get in anywhere difficult. There must be a few locals or visitors who can give me a few pointers ....... the kids would love to catch a couple - even small and release would be a good morning or afternoon ... so whats out there? any help ?

Volvo
07-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Shute Harbour where they catch the ferries??..Take a squid jig or two with you as well:)..Aint far from Arlie..
Cheers

jeffo
08-12-2004, 02:07 AM
i was up there on holidays in september. fished at able point marina (off the rocks) for the first few days. caught one little spanish mackeral, a few wolf herring and a couple of mini bream. was using soft plactics, slugs and live herring. while waiting for the ferry at shute i got another bream on a soft plastic (my first), a few pike and some longtoms.
off long island i got a trout and a few other rock dwellers. all once again onsoft plastics.

devocean
08-12-2004, 04:45 AM
I have heard people catch some nice jew off able point marina as it is pretty deep also some nice jacks as well as the marina makes some good structure

kc
08-12-2004, 05:08 AM
Give me a call when you get here & I'll be happy to give you a quick "cooks tour".

0414 785 462

Regards

KC

old_mate_china
08-12-2004, 11:25 AM
Ok I will check those spots out and give KC a call for the local cooks tour.

Last time I was in Airlie it suited the single man rather than the family man. Whoa ..... there was some late nights, heady mornings and lots of lovely views - some natural and some not so natural (its amazing what surgery can do to rovide the additional lift).

I must admit I'm looking forward to seeing it all again and spending a bit more day time there rather than night time in the place. Its a georguos part of the world, no doubts.

I hope we can put on to few fish and keep the lads entertained. Its gonna be good any which way.

Sergio_kutz
08-12-2004, 01:26 PM
get in a canoe or tinny and go into the nice little sandy bottom coves and you can see heaps of fish. They were going so crazy last time i was there that a couple of small bait fish jumped out of the water and hit the sides of our canoes. Oh i was so sad when i didn't take a rod or a handline with me. We must have cruised over about 20 70cm+ flathead just sitting there watching us. Schools of large whiting, bream, mullet, a few tiny reef sharks come in for a feed and anything else you could think of. I gotta get back up there....

Tight lines, Sergio

matty_e
08-12-2004, 02:45 PM
i was there last week and was told by andy thomson that some barra and jacks lurk under the pontoons in able pt marina at night. i always got too pissy to get down there at night :-/

other places are the same as suggested...shute harbour. last year i saw mackerel cruising everywhere ::)
missus/kids can drink coffee/juice respectively right next to where you fish ;D

although i would stongly suggest a morning sesh on peter faust dam with andy thomson witha host on 1m+ barras......pm me if you need details

Dug
08-12-2004, 03:18 PM
I have not been there for a while but the jetty was always fun for the kids with a few good catches at night, way too busy during the day.