PDA

View Full Version : Hide your E-mail address and avoid spam

imported_admin
09-12-2004, 04:12 AM
I have been informed by a couple of members that they have received E-mail informing them of other chat board sites. I have had a look into it and the common thing with members that received these E-mails is that they do not have their E-mail address hidden from the public/members.

I would suggest to avoid these E-mails, and also avoid being on a spam list, that you tick the box next to "Hide Email from public?" in your profile. This is the default when you signup but for some reason some members decide to have their E-mail address visible to all.

This is not a good idea and I would strongly advice to hide it.

To change this just go into your profile by clicking on the http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/profile.gifProfile link near the top of the page. Once in your profile just tick the box associated with the text "Hide Email from public?". Then click on the SAVE button at the bottom.

NQCairns
09-12-2004, 05:22 AM
I too recieved the email and it asked me to pass it on to Dug & Bladerunner with some lame excuse why the sender couldn't, I ignored it, thought it was a strange email.nq

imported_admin
09-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Yep, you need to go into your profile as your E-mail address is not hidden

blaze
09-12-2004, 06:17 AM
yep
I got the same, Different members though, know how to fix it now

mini696
09-12-2004, 06:19 AM
I got one of them the other day... But not for this site.

Dug
09-12-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks for not sending me any more spam NQ I have quite enough of my own thank you #;D

I have to have my email on our website so we get plenty or spam.

cheers dug

Chrisso
09-12-2004, 06:13 PM
I got a similar one from a person called "Lizard Lura" from an address "lizard_lura@hotmail.com" (or something like that) asking me to pass some fishing sites onto Touchy and Notts_so. Damn, it was probably one of these spamming ones too - it fooled me. I thought it was genuine. #>:( Touchy new better (as the name suggests #;) ) - not to touch it. #;)

Regards

Chris

aquarius
09-12-2004, 06:56 PM
I GOT THE SAME E MAIL CHRIS......I JUST DELETED IT.
IF IN DOUBT CHUCK IT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!
REGARDS BRENT

el_carpo
09-12-2004, 10:32 PM
How lame...... :P

Same thing happens to another site I visit. They send an e-mail or private message telling posters to go over to their site and then if and when they do, they send hostile messages to them telling them to post more. Duhhhhhh!

Ausfish is popular because it's a great site. It earned its popularity through its quality. Cheap stunts and shady tricks only drive people away.

Hey, at least you haven't had any con men making posts claiming to be Russian call girls or guys looking for cheap apartments to rent in Russia.......yet. That's another fun thing to contend with. Never give out your e-mails. It always leads to trouble (viruses, spam, billion dollar phone bills, identity theft, etc). Ah well, gives the moderators something to do, I guess. Nothing like extra work due to parasitic nincompoopery, eh fellas? Good grief! ::)

Thanks for the heads-up Ausfish! We'll keep on our toes.

E.C.

mjc85
10-12-2004, 04:43 AM
Yeh i was getting 100's of emails from people in Nigeria claiming to have Eg. 30 million USD and they need someone to take it over in their name and help them flee the country.

They were all frauds of course and some even sent me pictures lol

cooky
10-12-2004, 08:12 AM
run SPAM filters. Either your ISP, Virus Protection software might have available - if not good third party options are available. I receive almost no spam. I run multiple systems though.

Kerry
11-12-2004, 10:35 AM
My My :D wonder who would be that DESPERATE :-X to have to resort to such a low dispicable tactic [smiley=lost.gif]

Cheers, Kerry.