PDA

View Full Version : 2,500,000 Litres of Treated Effluent Released into

mjc85
10-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Mooloolah River, Just heard this on the radio, apparently it was approved by environmental protection people as it was above he minimum standard to be released.

Apparently it happened Tuesday or Wednesday ? Can't remember but they didn't tell the public until today.

It happened because a pipe cap burst and they couldn't use their emergency backup area because of maintenance.

That's a whole Lotta $h1t. #:o

Dug
10-12-2004, 01:44 PM
SH!T Lucky it is raining but still better if it did not happen in the first place.

I wonder if the EPA will be charging the council?

jeffo
10-12-2004, 03:51 PM
apparently the EPA did aprove the dumping... :-/ although there has been a fair bit of up roar about it. some may have seen it on the telle tonight?

if they reckon its fine to dump in the river are they willing to put their money where their mouth is and drink or even swim in it themselves? id like to see that!

megafish71
11-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Looks like the Government brains are still at work. Introduce more and tighter regs on fishing in the name of protecting the fish stocks, why? so they can kill them buy polluting the waterways. Makes sense to me.... NOT ??? ???

propdinger
11-12-2004, 12:43 PM
hey look mum its a estuary cod,.... no son its a estuary turd
:o ::)

peterreb
11-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Just to set a few things straight,
Treated effluent is what comes out of the plant,low solids, low nutrients,low or zero E.coli bacteria.For the EPA to approve this,the river must of had a high flow,so the effluent could assimulate into the environment without any impact on local aquatic life.
What you must remember what comes into a plant is called influent,untreated raw sewerage.
I run a treatment plant on the Northside of Brisbane and there are very strict guidlines that must be adhered to as far as EPA licencing requirements go.
Cheers Peter

clutter
11-12-2004, 05:23 PM
I go along with what Peter says. I'll also add that depending on the type of treatment that it undergoes it can end up being better quality that the water coming into the plant in the first place.

Clutter

rick_k
11-12-2004, 06:54 PM
How are the bacteria in the waste killed prior to discharge, and if it is via toxic chemicals, what happens to those?

Rick K

raefpud
11-12-2004, 07:34 PM
hahaha - 2.5 million litres is nothing, if you had any idea of how much was being pumped into moreton bay at luggage point you would be well and truly shocked - u may even poo ur pants

mini696
12-12-2004, 07:13 AM
I have to agree 2.5million isn't a lot. Disturbing none the less. The stuff shouldnt be dumped in the first place. What about the water shortage we are having at the moment. Surely there are places this can be taken to, for farming etc. I know its costly, but so is loosing tourist dollars.

What gets me is how someone (at the treatment plant) can authorise maintenence on the bund, without an intingency plan. That should never happen, and the plant should get a fine for bad business practice.

Kerry
12-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Geez why not shove it onto somebodies lettuce patch :-X

Cheers, Kerry.

NAFA
12-12-2004, 07:03 PM
I agree with Peter. Where I live there is a large industry that up until about 7 years ago regulary discharged 7-10 ML of treated water into the local river. The local council also discharged a similar amount of treated sewage into the same river. These were both subject to strict EPA liscencing and monitoring conditions. They both now dispose of thier effluent off-river and it is used in wetlands or irrigation.
On the occasion that it needs to go back to the river it again is done under strict conditions and at times of high river flow. (The solution to pollution is dilution).
E. Coli was traditionally killed by the use of chlorine as a gas or hypochloride or more comanally (sp) now by UV light.
There was probably less pollution (BOD, nutrients etc) in that 2.5 ML than the run-off from and urban area during a storm.

Dave

peterreb
13-12-2004, 02:01 AM
2.5 megs,Luggage Point discharges about 150megs ADWF,where I work 12 to 13megs ADWF,when we have had rain like the past week, you could triple those figures.
L.P. also sends water to the oil refinery for use there.The water Quality is better that the water we drink.Has anyone thought about what we're drinking,potable water has to be dosed with Chlorine and has to have a residual CL2 to maintain the kill of bacteria.The piping system runs for miles so to maintain the residual they have stations set up to dose and maintain the residual.Water and chlorine = Hydrochlorus acid or commonly known as hydrochloric acid.Hope this will enlighten us to what is being done to maintain the our water quality
Cheers Peter

mini696
13-12-2004, 05:21 AM
Just look at your garden to se how bad chlorine is in the town water. You'll water a plant for weeks and get 3" growth, but after a days rain it can grow that much over night. The Chlorine stunts plants growth. Imagine what it does to us!!