PDA

View Full Version : What is this and can I eat it?

Y-Not
13-12-2004, 11:38 AM
I caught this today, very proud of myself! At first I thought that it was a parrot fish, but on closer inspection think it may be a Blue Tuskfish. Am I right and is it worth eating?

major-defect
13-12-2004, 11:47 AM
yeah tusk fish mate.They can be a bit mushy fleshed when cooked for some people unless big.Not bad anyway cheers mate

Y-Not
13-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Here's a closer pic- it is about 37cm long. What is the legal size? We thought 30cm

Tony_N
13-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Yep, a tuskfish, but not a Blue Tuskfish. I reckon its a Black Spot Tuskfish - identified by the black spot at the base of the middle of the dorsal fin. Don't think there is a size limit on them in NSW - but I have caught them to 3kg. Excellent eating. Only mushy if you overcook them.

Tony

webby
13-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Great eating fish mate.
Thats what i call a grass tuskies, get them in the bay in a few spots if thats where you were.
The big blue blackspot tuskies you get in the bay, get up around the 15kg mark, Scott Waught caught that at the last straddie classic.
If you want the big blokes, crabs are the no 1 bait
regards

dfox
13-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Y-not, did ya catch him in the bay? Very common, good to catch and good to eat mate ;D ;D ;D

Kerry
13-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Well if I was you I would make that fish disappear (very very) fast and not plaster it all over the web as for the period Dec 6 through Dec 14 (this coming Tuesday and you caught this TODAY #where :-X ) fishing for Coral Reef Fin Fish is a complete NO NO and that's a Coral Reef Fin Fish #::).

Maybe it came from another "country" #;D

Cheers, Kerry.

mackmauler
13-12-2004, 12:48 PM
south of 24 5.....

Local_Guy
13-12-2004, 12:59 PM
very good eating fish.

common names : blue bone, tusk fish, bluey, parrot.

very white flesh and cook up nicely.

Tony_N
13-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Oooooohhh deeeeaaaar!!!

I can't help but agree with the legislation (even though it doesn't apply down here)- but how are people supposed to find out what the legislation is?? Really, there needs to be a more concentrated education of the general fishing fraternity before they start fining people for indiscretions they are not aware of.

just my 2 bobs worth

Graham_N_Roberts
13-12-2004, 05:13 PM
Tony_N, I can't for one minute agree with any of your logic :-/ >:(.

Any person who sets out to catch a fish, in any bleeding water hole, whether it be a smal brook behind ya' back yard:-*, or the Pacific off Batemans Bay:-*, is responsible to find out the legislation before taking a fish. Every fisho should be aware of the rules, just as any driver should be aware of the rules before driving the family hack ;).

End of story.

staggy
13-12-2004, 05:20 PM
Im with you on this one cq

staggy

Y-Not
13-12-2004, 05:34 PM
True. We ubderstood that the closed season didnt apply in Moreton Bay- as Mackmauler pointed out-
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/16189.html

excerpt from the DPI website-
"The closures apply to all waters on Queensland’s east coast north of a line of Latitude 24 degrees 50 minutes South (near the mouth of the Burnett River and near Waddy Point on Fraser Island)."

Derek Bullock
13-12-2004, 06:28 PM
but how are people supposed to find out what the legislation is?? #Really, there needs to be a more concentrated education of the general fishing fraternity before they start fining people for indiscretions they are not aware of.

I am no lawyer but I know quite clearly that ignorance of the law is no excuse when it comes to standing in front of the beak in court.

If you take up any sport, hobby or pastime (fishing included) its up to you to "educate" yourself of all the rules.

Makes me wonder if there isnt a need for recreational fishing licenses where you have to sit and pass a test. :-X :-X :-X :-X

Derek

Tony_N
14-12-2004, 12:01 AM
small can of worms opened.

My logic, such as it is, says that if people are better informed, then transgressions are less likely to happen. The people on this web site are more committed to fishing than the average bait drowner and by definition are going to be not only more aware of legislation, but critical of those who don't make themselves aware of it. I agree that everyone has a responsibility to this environment and to much broader ones, and should make themselves aware of and comply with the legislation.

I do believe that we live in a country that is getting to be overly controlled by authorities of various kinds. However, I am aware that serious action needs to be enforced to ensure some level of sustainablility in our chosen sport/hobby/lifestyle. (This does not mean that I support the likes of Dailan Pugh in the Byron Bay fiasco) So despite the unattrative spectre of even more oversight from authorities, I tend to agree with Derek. Make everyone pass a test for a license to ensure that everybody knows the rules. cq freshie makes the analagy with driving vehicles for which a license is required - and even though there are plenty of licensed idiots out there who still don't know the road rules, I reckon it would be worse if they didn't have to pass the test in the first place.

My original (and continuing) argument is not that people shouldn't be responsible for making themselves aware of the legislation, rather that it is incumbent on the authorities to make it clear to the broader public that there IS legislation.

Tony

Gazza
14-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Yeah right....tests for ALL fish-species known to man >:( ::)
Do you do a Drivers Licence test on the basics of "operating a car/vehicle"

or do you also include a "test" on every suburb and speedlimit applicable on every road ,you MAY ever venture to.
(NO UBD/gregorys allowed ;D )

Note: A couple of experienced Nthn Qld fishos , didn't know the CRFF regs DON'T apply in seq.....yet :'(

jimbamb
14-12-2004, 09:51 AM
Did i miss sumthin?or wat???
Wasnt the fish caught below 24" 50 min south?????
Isnt that ok?
Why is wynot bein treated like Aust. most wanted??????????

kc
14-12-2004, 10:11 PM
You would be amazed the number of people, both occassional fishing locals and more particularly fishing tourists, rocking into NQ tackle shops every day to buy gear to go bottom fishing during the closures...........and the closures themselves are, IMO dumb!! Only 6 tp 10% of trout attend spawning aggregations and the spawn this year took place in September, the new moon before the first "seasonal" closure!

The harder you make it, the more rules you apply, the more restrictions you put in place (like sitting a test)....the less and less people will bother to actually go fishing.

This might be great for the keen few, but what of the sports future & the future of the poor buggers trying to make a living out of it.

All part of the mightly plan to depopularise the sport...it won't be in our lifetime but you can bet your life it will be in our kids. Less kids fish & more and more rules will ensure even less do in the future.

This used to be a spontaneous easy thing to do....nice calm day, bit of time on my hands, grab the boy & the tinny and just go for a fish for a couple of hours..........NOT ANY MORE!!

KC

notts_so
15-12-2004, 06:08 AM
Here here

rajawolf
15-12-2004, 07:19 AM
well all the fish will soon drown, as the ice cap melts.

fishsmith
15-12-2004, 08:54 AM
I,m a keen supporter of a (payment type) rec fishing license if the funds go into proffessional fishing buybacks,stocking,marine environment management and fisheries policing..
However i don't think a license test is appropriate for one to be squared away with current legislations(what happens when new legislation is bought in do you have to resit the license test) education, including self education and a little research of the area to be fished is the key.

Maybe a disqualifacation of rec license for a period of time could be introduced to cater for fisheries legisltion offenders of the future.. 8)

Derek Bullock
15-12-2004, 08:59 AM
My comment about license testing was said with tongue in cheek. It's about as stupid as you can get but a good discussion point. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers.

Derek

fishsmith
15-12-2004, 09:06 AM
I agree with you that the rec license issue is a good dicussion topic that will affect us all one way or the other in the future so i've started another thread on that subject . As this thread is starting to go full cicle somewhere and not reflect its original thread title ...Cheers Smithy.........