PDA

View Full Version : In Possession Limits

baldyhead
15-12-2004, 07:08 AM
Can anyone help? I have been having discussions with other fishos about these in possession limits and what they mean and even QB&FP officers asked had different opinions.
1. Where does the in possession refer to?
2. Is it only on the water?
3. Is it in the freezer in your house? as well as on the water?
SCENARIO:

You are the only person in the house.

5 days ago you went fishing and you caught 3 spanish mackerel which you cut up into meals and froze for future use.
4 days ago you went out again and caught 3 more spanish mackerel and again you cut em up for future use and froze.
One week ago your mate gave you a couple of spanish mackerel fillets which you froze.
Tomorrow you are going fishing and you expect to catch @ least 2 spanish mackerel ( 9 day fin fish closure).

CAN YOU KEEP THEM?
cheers baldy

rajawolf
15-12-2004, 07:11 AM
Dont forget the ones u bought @ the fish markets ;D

mackmauler
15-12-2004, 07:13 AM
your over your limits if thats the case baldy.

Volvo
15-12-2004, 07:59 AM
your over your limits if thats the case baldy.

Is that a fact ???..Well what happens if one happened to just go down their local Co-op n buy twenty Mackeral??..Is they allowed ta keep em in their freezer??..Are they over their allowable keep limit??, or does it only apply to if ya happen ta catch em ;D..

Ben_Gray
15-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Fact is once they are in YOUR freezer at home no QB&FP officers are going to know they are there. A bag limit is a bag limit, you go out to the reef in the morning catch five spotties then head back out and catch five spotties you havent breached your bag limit on either trip and are the only one that will know. Just have to ask yourself do you need that much fish ;)

Ben_Gray
15-12-2004, 08:24 AM
head back out the next morning i should say ::)

notts_so
15-12-2004, 08:28 AM
In possession of what you caught wether in boat eskie or freezer
If you had bought twenty then you would have a receipt wich is totaly legal
So ill be up on the weekend to help you even out your freezer baldy as mine is empty

mackmauler
15-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Is that a fact ???..Well what happens if one happened to just go down their local Co-op n buy twenty Mackeral??..Is they allowed ta keep em in their freezer

They had better have a big freezer ;)

commonsense should prevail, take what you need eat it fresh or give it away, leave the freezer for baitfish.

agnes_jack
15-12-2004, 08:52 AM
They no longer call them a bag limit.
It is an in possesion limit. This does technically mean that what is in your possesion, including freezer, esky, fridge, oven etc is included. I think the basis for this rule is to cover situations like for example- if you spend a week on fraser with freezer in tow, you can't fill said freezer.
They would have to have reasons to believe that you were illegaly selling fish caught recreationally to get authority to inspect your house etc.
More a technicality than anything. I wouldn't be concerned unless I had something substantial to hide! 8) 8) 8)

Regards, Tony

Volvo
15-12-2004, 09:35 AM
:)Recipt of purchase or no reciept, a bag limit or "In possesion Limit" should be the same..
If all your allowed is "X" amount in your possesion it shouldnt matter how ya come by them..
If its for the sake of protectin the so called species then the law should apply to all :)..
Cheers

Derek Bullock
15-12-2004, 10:20 AM
The legislation talks about take and possess, not "in possession limits". The word possess is clearly defined in the English language. (If you have it or know where it is then its yours - my words)

There is a big difference between recreational fisher, as defined under the Fisheries Regulation 1995, and a person who buys a product from a shop. If you are both a shopper and a fisher then keep your receipts.

Derek

Volvo
15-12-2004, 10:44 AM
:)Me thinks someones missed the point somewhere along the line..

fishsmith
15-12-2004, 11:53 AM
As the Mack says,freezer's are for bait(just make sure there legal size).
Mate stick to catching just enough for a fresh feed and release the rest for another day..fresh is best..... 8)

Needmorerum
15-12-2004, 03:49 PM
As my fishing exploits aren't as profitable as my old man's, he always brings a few more spaniards home for me to pick up when I am up next (he is in Mackay, and I'm in Gladstone). He also does this for my sister and brother in law. I haven't looked as to what the 'take and possess' limit is for these in CQ, but I am sure that he would be over this if what is in your freezer is counted as well. It's just that it is for 3 families, not one.
Being a fisho from birth, I can guarantee that he doesn't take more than the limit each trip, but being retired, means that he is out 4-5 times a week as well. Pending on what is in the freezer, depends on what he is targeting.
We pick up a freezer load each time, and this gives us 2-3 meals of fish a week. We always run out before we get some more off him.
I would be dissapointed if the legislation includes what is in your freezer, as in this case, it is innocent and the old man and just helping out us more unfortunate fisho's.

Corry

Sportfish_5
15-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Luv that blue shine on the barry #::) ::) ::)

Hell of a fish or is Ben 4ft tall#:o ;D ;D ;D ;D

PinHead
16-12-2004, 12:27 AM
As my fishing exploits aren't as profitable as my old man's, he always brings a few more spaniards home for me to pick up when I am up next (he is in Mackay, and I'm in Gladstone). He also does this for my sister and brother in law. I haven't looked as to what the 'take and possess' limit is for these in CQ, but I am sure that he would be over this if what is in your freezer is counted as well. It's just that it is for 3 families, not one.
Being a fisho from birth, I can guarantee that he doesn't take more than the limit each trip, but being retired, means that he is out 4-5 times a week as well. Pending on what is in the freezer, depends on what he is targeting.
We pick up a freezer load each time, and this gives us 2-3 meals of fish a week. We always run out before we get some more off him.
I would be dissapointed if the legislation includes what is in your freezer, as in this case, it is innocent and the old man and just helping out us more unfortunate fisho's.

Corry

mate..try looking at it this way.."Sorry Officer, that is not my dope you just caught me in possession of..that is for my son cos he cannot get any where he is?" Ya think you would get off in that scenario?

jaybee
16-12-2004, 03:59 AM
PinHead just made a good example, possesion in the laws eyes is 9/10 ths of the law. a legal loop hole with a week on fraser for example, if you fillet, bread and half cook the fillets repack in a freezer it is then classed as processed food. to be doing this on an island though you would have to be keen. i have also been told by qf&bp, if i catch squire in nsw (30 cms) and get caught with them in qld i am in possesion of undersize fish, and have to prove i caught them in nsw waters. it was suggested to keep reciepts for fuel, oil and bait, but then fishing of the tweed you can still be in qld waters.
cheers
Joe.

sharkbait
16-12-2004, 11:27 AM
Geez Ben, took a pretty decent sort of fish to get you to finally crack a smile for a photo ;D