PDA

View Full Version : Morton Bay

Ant
16-12-2004, 04:32 AM
I have just arrived in Queensland and have taken up residence in Cleveland.

My boat is a 5.6m plate alluminum Barcrusher.

I have never fished Morton Bay before so can anyone help with fishing spots or GPS marks that will get me started.

Thanks

Ant

Jeremy
16-12-2004, 05:02 AM
Where did you come from? What sort of fishing do you like to do and what species do you like/want to catch?

Fishing clubs are great sources of information (so is ausfish!). We might be able to help you. Heaps of info on our website. December meeting is tonight (Wednesday) - details on the website or look at the December newsletter.

Jeremy

Ant
16-12-2004, 05:10 AM
Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the reply and the information. Sorry about the lack of information. I am from Victoria and have done most of my fishing in Port Phillip Bay (out of Patterson River).

We try and target Snapper in season otherwise it is the ever reliable Flathead.

Cheers

Ant

Big_Kev
16-12-2004, 07:31 AM
You might just be able to coax some of us out for a fish and we will show you some spots around the bay to get you going.
There is even a bar for you to try out the Crusher on.
But we are weary of Mexicans, so we will tread lightly. LOL
Cheers Kev. 8)

Ant
16-12-2004, 07:54 AM
Mexican I am not sure given that I dare I say it origionally come from Aoteoroa (K1w1) as such I am probably better described as a Head Hunter.

Cheers

Ant

Touchy - R.I.P.
16-12-2004, 08:59 AM
A MEXICAN KIWI :o :o :o :o :o.GAWD SAVE US, WELCOME ANYWAY.PS DONT GET MARKS OFF BUGMAN OR YOU WILL BE BACK IN THE LAND OF THE LONG WHITE CLOUD BEFORE YOU CAN SAY GREEN GINGER WINE :P ::) ::) ::).CHEERS TOUCHY><> ><> ><>.

Cheech
16-12-2004, 04:53 PM
Guys,

There are a few out there at the moment in between boats. Sounds like a perfect opportunity for some of the south side regulars the arrange a fish with the ant on Sunday morning, give him a hand with getting to know the area and at the same time go out on a good boat,,, and then head in at lunch time to vicky point for the ausfish christmas get together.

Looks like a win/win to me. I would offer, but am north side and not sure if I will make it down after the company christmas doo on Saturday night.

aquarius
16-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Ant go and buy a copy of Brownie's BEACON TO BEACON....The best $30 you will spend.
Shows Gps points and covers the area from Bundaberg to the NSW boarder.
Come and meet the friendly Ausfisher"s on Sunday at VMR Victoria Point for our Xmas get together.
Cheers #Brent

Ant
17-12-2004, 02:47 AM
Hi Brent

Thanks for the advise I have got a copy of Beacon to Beacon a terrific book. I got it when we were up here in September looking for a suitable place to sling our hook.

So far we have tried near the Platypus Peel Island (2 small Snapper) and in the vicinity of 27.27.56s 153.15.54e (3 small Snapper + 6 Sharks) all undersize so I have not had a feed to cover the cost of the fuel as yet.

Sunday was a great suggestion but unfortunately or fortunately which ever is your viewpoint I have the rest of my mexican family arriving. For those with a military background I guess being here first made me one of the fifth column.

Cheers and merry xmas

Ant

Cheers

Jeremy
17-12-2004, 03:22 AM
Ant,

Jumpinpin at the very Southern end of the bay is the flathead hotspot around here, but of course they are very widespread and can be caught nearly everywhere.

In my opinion/experience it takes alot of work and knowledge to catch quality snapper in the bay. You are much better off heading up to either the Sunshine or Gold Coasts and to the reefs out from there for your snapper. There are relatively safe bars at both Mooloolaba and the Gold Coast seaway.

Snapper can be caught all year round up here, but at this time of year and for the next 3-4 months, why not target mackerel and tuna. Mack tuna and shyte eating but easy to catch and good fun. Longtail tuna are much harder to catch but are common at 10-15 kg and are good eating. There are also three mackerel species - school, spotted and spanish which all fight well and are good eating.

The spotties have started showing up in the Northern bay and within a few weeks should be much more widespread.

Anyway, have fun.

Jeremy

Ant
17-12-2004, 03:32 AM
Hi Jeremy

Thanks for the advise it was very much appreciated.

If I catch a lizzard that is bigger than the one that appears on your web site I will send you a replacement photo. Come to think of it given todays technology I could probably make anything look huge.

Cheers

Ant

Ant
17-12-2004, 03:37 AM
Hi Jeremy

Thank you for the information it was very much appreciated.

If I catch a Lizzard which is bigger than the one published on the website I will send you a replacement photo. Come to think of it given todays technology I could probably make anything look huge.

Cheers

Ant

Jeremy
17-12-2004, 04:07 AM
Ant,

hope you do manage to get onto a big lizard. There are a few around - I think the introduction of the maximum size of 70 cm and the bag limit of five per person has helped the flathead. Looks awesome in the water when you see a big flathead first appear.

We are running a workshop on game fishing off the Gold Coast at our January club meeting on the 19th, and then we are having a club trip out from the Gold Coast to target billfish, wahoo, mahi mahi, etc the following week on Australia day. Visitors welcome at the club meeting - you might be interested in coming along.

Jeremy

Ant
17-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Jeremy

Thank you for the invitation I have put the date it in my diary.

Cheers

Ant