PDA

View Full Version : Never too old to learn

skippa
16-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Well,

That's one lesson learned today. As Xmas time for me is usually flatout, I decide that today was a ME day and I was goin' fishin'.

I've been plying the waters of Moreton Bay now for over 20 years and yes I have been known to be a BOM basher, :-X so really given their latest accuracy, I decided that if it did blow it wouldn't be untill I was long home and suckin' a stubbie. ;) (Lesson 2)

Launched at Raby Bay around 6 with some spots to checkout around 4 Becons and further north. Traveling with the wind it is amazing how easy it is not to notice that the wind is actually picking up. Did bit of a tourist drive up the inside of Moreton, so didn't also notice how big the chop really was untill I got out from Tangas :P Arrived at my spot X to find conditions less than perfect, this is going to be mighty sloppy fishin'.

It sure wasn't long before I realised this wasn't going to work, change of plan and head to more protected waters. Slipping back up the inside of Moreton and heading into the wind I realised now that conditions were getting worse, reckon she was blowning 20 and gusting to 30 in spots: best choice now, just head for home.

Considering the conditions, a good trip back untill I rounded the green marker at the end of the Chain Banks. With these winds and against the tide, I copped a flogging all the way back to Raby Bay. I'm glad I was in my Haines and not anything smaller, once again I've been impressed with seaworthyness of this boat. I never not felt safe, just a dumb arse for being out in these conditions, no fish was worth that trip.

A big rasberry to the bloke who ran over the 2 kids lines who where fishing on the ramp. Yes they were fishing on the ramp but it's mid week not the weekend and there was only 3 trailers in the car park anyway. They were only too happy to help me. Better a kid be fishing than painting walls or stealing cars.

Cheers,
Tony 8)

Wezza
16-12-2004, 12:29 PM
It looked like such a good morning to go out too. Their is always next time. ;)

Cheech
16-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Bugger ay,,,,

I can certainly understand giving it a go. Should have turned around a bit this time of year and given you some north east to come home with.

Between the BOM and Buoyweather being so different to each other, it is hard to know what to trust.

skippa
17-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Yep,

Looked pretty good when I left the ramp, thought I was on for a good day.
Yeah Cheech, I thought it wouldn't pickup untill at least the arvo and then swing around giving a easy ride back to Raby.

Cheers,
Tony 8)