PDA

View Full Version : Digital Vidio cameras

blaze
13-12-2004, 03:45 AM
Has any one had any thing to do with these vidio cameras, sd cards etc, palm size, 6.3 mega pixels, see a lot on ebay and they seem to sell upto about $400, may get one for the wife for chrisy (tried to talk her into a new rod/reel, tried to explain it would be useful, no luck there though). So are they any good, pitfalls etc,
Most of them seem to run on 4 x aa bateries
cheers
blaze

cooky
13-12-2004, 06:41 AM
have you got a link or photo? i find it hard to believe a 6.3mpixel would sell for around $400 - unless VERY secondhand or some crap chinese brand (in that case I'd doubt the quality of the images anyway).

Check out www.dpreview.com for quality reviews on a wide variety of cameras

Dug
13-12-2004, 08:38 AM
For a decent video you are looking round $800 I would steer well clear of something for $400 :-( you would be just buying trouble.

If you want it to take a decent still photo too then look around $1,800 to $2,500

there is a new Nikon still camera at about $500 that has 30fps video and full screen onto an SD card I have not seen the quality as yet.
And a 6MP fuji that does the same for around $700 but still if you want Video shoot Video tape Mini DV if you want still photos shoot still camera photos there is really nothing yet that does both jobs well.

blaze
13-12-2004, 09:03 AM
thanks for the replies
All ready got a couple of digi cameras- one slr and a cheap sucker i take in the boat
may give the idea a miss until after the christmas maddness when the prices come down to a more realistic figure
cheers
blaze

Dug
13-12-2004, 11:29 AM
February is the slowest month try then. don't get suckered by the Post Christmas sales!! Check your prices shop arround and make deals.

Smithy
17-12-2004, 06:48 PM
In Septermber I got the smallest JVC in Mini DV. Was $700 cash from the Good Guys. No memory stick but a remote, 16x zoom, software and cables. I see a Sharp is down to $749 as an advertised price but you would get it better than that. The JVC was the cheapest at the time.

NQCairns
18-12-2004, 01:19 AM
Yeah Blaze be very carefull with these unknown brand ebay items. 12 months ago I bought a Mus 5.2 mega pixel camera on ebay, on paper it had ALL the bells and whistles and for the price it was a great buy except the camera used lenses that were ground in some zoo somewhere by monkeys, this thing on 5.2 mega takes .3 mega quality pics and is scared silly of it's own flash. I cannot even in consience resell it, so it just sits in it's box now.
Dont do it unless it is a name brand or you have used that exact model before or you can find independent reviews on the net somewhere, I looked for the Muse and didn't find any.
Lousy stinkin crap camera it is.nq

blaze
18-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Hi NQ
Ye mate, that was my veiw in the end, get these weird thoughts when one has to much time on ya hands and the weather is like crap
cheers
blaze
ps
isnt the bloody weather unseasonal

NQCairns
18-12-2004, 04:55 AM
Nope, for me it's the pretty typical 3 bathroom showers a day weather up here atm.
Have family on the NSW/VIC border, 36 one day 22 the next!! crazy but better than a heat wave.
On Ebay elecronics - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me! I recon you made the right decision. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] Want another digi ;Dnq