PDA

View Full Version : Question re.  flares

Hobes
18-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Can anyone help me out?

I live in Rockhampton/Yeppoon area and wish to fish around the keppel islands. According to the govt. boating guide maps, this area falls within "smooth waters" (light blue). Howe er someone told me you need flares if you are anywhere within half a nautical mile from land anywhere. which is true? Will i need the flares? I sure don't need a fine.

Kerry
18-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Yes you need flares beyond smooth waters and by definition that is beyond half a nautical mile from land even within smooth waters.

Keppel bay might be classed as smooth waters but once half a nautical mile from land (land being a key word) then it doesn't matter as flares are required. And by the way that bay can get awfully rough so being classified as "smooth waters" is really a misdemeanor.

Cheers, Kerry.

dfox
18-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Get them anyway, safety comes first ;D ;) ;)

Dug
18-12-2004, 05:20 PM
I have been across Keppel bay in pretty bad conditions 50kts+ we nearly capsized a 27 ft sharkcat in a rescue attempt. Carry the flares! and be glad if you never use them.

fishsmith
18-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Mate, get the flares i got done back in July and it cost me $140,I normally fish the creeks and close in shore however this particular day was a glassout and there where some Tuna boiling up the water on the horizon so i had to check em out,unfortunately DPI Inspectors met me there.....So get them Flares so that you can check on the fishing action a little further out than you normally go when conditions are right....

:)