PDA

View Full Version : water proof reef fish guide

Scott15
21-12-2004, 10:27 AM
hey guys

does anyone know where to get a water proof reef fish guide with the leagl sizes and bag limits in the brisbane area. ive looked around but havent found wone yet

agnes_jack
21-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Scott
the DPI have released an ID book that is semi-waterproof.
You should be able to get one from the dpi.

Regards, Tony

bugman
21-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Good luck Scott.

I got a couple but they are pretty rare. Lot of the guys in DPI didn't even know they were out when I got a few.

Shame really.

agnes_jack
21-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Scott
Send me that pm, sounds like it may be too hard to get one otherwise!
They are free!

Regards, Tony

Scott15
21-12-2004, 12:38 PM
hey tony are they water proof

craigie
21-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Brett,

Any idea where I can get one :-X

I guess the DPI Call Centre would be a good place to start.

Cheers
Craigie.

nonibbles
21-12-2004, 06:12 PM
Heath
You may need to update some of your sizes. Last time I looked the min size for red emporer was 55cm.
There may be other changes. I've just got home from work so haven't thouroughly checked it yet.
Try this link:
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html

Heath
21-12-2004, 07:59 PM
I'll double check it all again. Have only done a few hundred times :-[ :-[ :-[ :-/

propdinger
21-12-2004, 09:24 PM
with all the changes they are making to sizes etc
they might not have printed too many ??? ??? ???
or not enough money to print enough??? ???

another way you can do it is copy the type of species you catch in that area onto normal paper then find someone who can laminate it cheap for you (just a thought) ::)

jeff
p.s if you do make it yourself make sure you fit plenty to a page so its cheaper

im in the process of doing one now for the boat

fishsmith
21-12-2004, 10:03 PM
laminate,laminate,laminate.......... :D

eggbeater
22-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Giday Scott
I got my last guide from Captain Bligh's at the Argonaut Shopping Centre. It is set out like a pack of cards. Was a while ago now thou.

kleiny
22-12-2004, 04:08 AM
yeah "awesome" have seen them at my local store i think there about $9.95 are they worth buying does it have the legal sizes bag limits etc.

NQCairns
22-12-2004, 06:16 AM
I would like one also anyone got anymore infor on it?

nonibbles
22-12-2004, 06:25 AM
I have one too
its called Fil-o-fish Queensland Coastal and reef fish. Mines the 2nd edition printed in 1997 I just take to it with a black nicko every now and then when the DPI or GBRMPA has whim.
They're published by candellight publishing P.O Box 82 Boyne Island Qld 4680
If anyone can find a more recent edition please post

Derek Bullock
22-12-2004, 06:44 AM
New guides to help identify coral reef fish
A full-colour, easy-to-use 68-page field guide will help anglers and commercial operators to identify Queensland's iconic reef fish species.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Primary Industries &; Fisheries, Henry Palaszczuk
primaryindustries@cabinet.qld.gov.au
--====----====----====----====----==

19/08/04

Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Henry Palaszczuk said the Reef Fish Field Guide featured full-colour photographs of the fish listed under the Coral Reef Management Plan.

Mr Palaszczuk said Queensland had an international reputation for its iconic reef fish species and strict rules were in place to protect this valuable resource for current and future generations.

He said the manual would help anglers and commercial operators to comply with this important legislation.

"This guide is not a regulations booklet but an identification manual to help fishers recognise the fish they catch and identify no-take species and other important reef fish," he said.

"They have been grouped into families with similar species placed close together to help the user recognise the differences between them."

Mr Palaszczuk said apart from acting as an identification booklet, the Reef Fish Field Guide also highlighted the vast array of coral reef fish which made Queensland such a sought after fishing destination.

He said commercial operators fishing in the coral reef and Spanish mackerel fisheries had also been sent a copy of the manual printed on waterproof paper.

"The waterproof paper makes the guide more versatile and robust for commercial operators to use in the wheelhouse and on the sorting tray," Mr Palaszczuk said.

Mr Palaszczuk added that DPI&F; had recently developed a new 30-second quiz on their Fishweb site to assist anglers.

"The quiz is another quick and entertaining way to learn more about Queensland's recreational fishing rules," he said.

Non-waterproof manuals are available from local Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol offices or the DPI Call Centre on 13 25 23 or test your fishing knowledge on the Fishweb site at www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

nonibbles
22-12-2004, 06:56 AM
great work Derek. #Just gave them a call and they're sending me one in the mail also 80 pages worth of fisheries regulations to read at no cost. #Unfortunately they are not going to print anymore of the waterproof ones in the forseeable future and have have run out of the ones they had. #Plenty of paper copies though. #Guess we just get the staple remover out and laminate them ourselves. #Rebinding may be a problem though #;D
You can also get fish ID poster sets from the Qld Seafood Industry Association (3262 6855) - the ones you see in the fish & chip shops - they are $9 per set + $8p&h.

agnes_jack
22-12-2004, 07:10 AM
I do have a limited number of the DPI field guide, semi-waterproof. They are free but I
Would have to charge for postage though. If anyone needs one, give me a yell.
First in best dressed! The File-o-fish cards have not been printed for a few years now, last I heard they were not going to be reprinted.

Regards Tony

bugman
22-12-2004, 08:02 AM
I got mine from the PR lady there who for the life of me I can't remember her name.

They were in a special box hidden in a cupboard. I had to ask for a couple.

I'm back in there in Jan so I'll hunt around for a couple more. I think Phil got my last one.

Bugman

agnes_jack
22-12-2004, 08:31 AM
Bret
Give me a yell if you want one.
Regards, Tony ;)

bugman
22-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Tony,

I was actually smart enough to keep one for myself. I had a few other copies that I handed around to a few others I knew. shame - I should have kept a few and sold them off now because they look like collector's items ;D

Brett

NQCairns
22-12-2004, 08:59 AM
Agnes Jack I will take one too please, could you package it up with a packet of your favourite snapbacks as well ??(I have seen some of your posts on the subject [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]). Let me know your bsb and account no by PM or Email with cost and I will fix you up straight away. thanks and cheers nq

agnes_jack
22-12-2004, 09:18 AM
NQ
PM me with your full name and postal address.

Regards, Tony