PDA

View Full Version : got the fishing bug... now what?

eeww-worms
20-12-2004, 08:17 AM
hello everyone...

Like most kids, my dad used to take me out fishing.

I spent many a day drowning bait and my claim to fame is a largish flathead that swam past and got hooked in the stomach.

Now, many years on, I want to do the fishing thing with my son. #Of course i dont know the first thing about it. #I have rods... I have reels... I have inherited a fully stocked tackle box and have recently been given a bag full of squiggly rubber things.

I do not own a boat... we'll have to do it from the bank/jetty/pier. #I dont mind fresh or salt water....

We live in the outer western suburbs of brisbane.

Right now, I guess, I am after locations .... where I can practise ... play with tackle etc. #

Hopefully Santa is bring me a "How to fish for Dummies".

thanks in advance for any hints

eeww-worms

P.S. #I went out to Wivenhoe today.... tried squiggly thingies... and even bought worms on the way. #I was soooo glad no one was there to watch or overhear as I tried to get one of those wiggly things on my hook.... I even tried to talk them.

let's just say.... I managed to denude wivenhoe of most of it's weed......and my potplants will love the worms #:D

Sportfish_5
20-12-2004, 10:11 AM
You can get garfish near Mt Crosby (I cant remember the name of the park,reserve but you may know it if you are from Western Suburbs as it is pretty popular for BBQs etc).

If you are wanting to fish in the freshwater then put a post up there and you might get some info from the guys there.

Good Luck

Greg

crazymorton
20-12-2004, 02:06 PM
hello wormy,
i'd also recommend posting in the fishing forums....
put one in saltwater and one in freshwater and see how you go.
before my boat i used to go down to wellington point around the jetty and foreshore with some prawns....got a good flatty there and some bream......
good luck
(PS. get yourself a boat it's the best fun you & your family will ever have)

crazymorton
20-12-2004, 04:10 PM
forgot to post my Wello Point flatty

;D

crazymorton
20-12-2004, 04:10 PM
try again
:o

Big_Kev
20-12-2004, 05:08 PM
You can get garfish near Mt Crosby (I cant remember the name of the park,reserve but you may know it if you are from Western Suburbs as it is pretty popular for BBQs etc).

Greg

Colleges Crossing?

Big_Muddie
20-12-2004, 05:12 PM
There's also Kookaburra Park downstream from Colleges. Not far from the Karana Downs Golf Club.

Sergio_kutz
22-12-2004, 07:33 AM
Get down to the gold coast, get some yabbies (if u know how to get them) and throw a line in a creek or small river. Can give you some better places if u want em, pm me and i'll be specific

Cloud_9
22-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Gaday miss eeww-worm. ;)

there are lots of DVD's you can get with your soft plastics like the squidgy secrets that comes with the starter pack of plastics from Big W. they also have ET's DVD as well with the same starter pack. a digi camera would be good too so you can post your captures on here.
the broad water down the coast is a good place to walk the bank and cast soft plastics.
the best way to learn how to work plastics is towatch how they wiggle and stuff in the water at your feet.
just to see how you need to work the rod tip to make them move right.watch the dvd first. you will learn heaps.
if you want to get into the soft plastics proper you will need a specialized rod for the job .
trip to the tackle shop might scare you a little though.
but the rod needs to be stiff and lite, after casting 50 or 60 times a lite rod is a god send.i now have 25 + rods from 2 kg up to 24kg (thats the line class you use on them)
but 2-4kg is fine for soft plastics with 6-8lb line.
hope this helps some.

Cheers Cloud 9