PDA

View Full Version : News release - Calling fishers to monitor mackerel

QLD_Fisheries
15-12-2004, 08:26 AM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/news/NewsReleases/16642.html

The information contained in this document is distributed by the Queensland Government for information purposes only. All reasonable steps have been made to ensure the information is accurate at the time of publication. For more information visit the DPI&F Fishweb site at http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb

mackmauler
15-12-2004, 08:28 AM
13 December 2004

Calling all fishers to help monitor mackerel
South-east Queensland looks set to have a bumper mackerel season this summer which could greatly assist the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries (DPI&F) in monitoring east coast mackerel stocks.

The DPI&F Long-Term Monitoring Program is currently monitoring Spanish and spotted mackerel to ensure the sustainability of these popular fish species.

Recreational fishers are being encouraged to assist in the program by providing researchers with filleted fish frames to help collect the necessary information from each fish.

DPI&F fisheries biologist Jonathan Staunton-Smith said with the mackerel season in the south-east looking to be a good one, he anticipated a healthy supply of fish frames to study.

“The more frames we receive, the better our ability to assess the status of stocks and ensure Spanish and spotted mackerel are maintained at sustainable levels,” he said.

“We are also collecting similar information from the commercial sector thanks to the co-operation of seafood processors and commercial fishers.

“Importantly, the information will help to assess the impact of current management practices, including recent changes to recreational size and possession limits and a cap on annual commercial catches.”

Dr Staunton-Smith said information was being collected on the length, sex and age structure of east coast mackerel stocks by examining commercial and recreational catches.

“Like many other species, length of mackerel on its own is not a good indicator of age because of a large degree of variability in their individual growth rates and females also grow faster than males,” he said.

“However, the age of fish can be determined from the otoliths or ear bones which is why researchers need the frames.”

People who supply their mackerel frames for research also have a chance of winning a $100 gift voucher.

Peter Stevens from Agnes Water and Ted Formosa from Kurrimine Beach are the winners for December.

A winner from north and south Queensland will also be drawn in March and June.

Fish frames can be left at selected drop off points around the state. For a full list of participating centres visit www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fisheriesmonitoringprogram/ and go to the pages on Spanish or spotted mackerel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Further information:
Jonathan Staunton-Smith (Deception Bay). Ph: +61 7 3817 9535
Darren Rose (Cairns). Ph: +61 7 4035 0108
Media Officer: Liz Smith. Ph: +61 7 3224 7757
Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Media Unit
GPO Box 46 Brisbane Qld 4001. Fax +61 7 3239 0860
DPI&F Call Centre 8am-6pm weekdays on local call 13 25 23

notts_so
15-12-2004, 08:34 AM
“The more frames we receive, the better our ability to assess the status of stocks and ensure Spanish and spotted mackerel are maintained at sustainable levels,” he said.
Hmmmm ide like to beleive its in our best intrest to help here
BUT hmmm

agnes_jack
15-12-2004, 08:36 AM
Get behind it fellas!
The more frames they can study the more info on how to keep the mack fisherie viable. Many tackle stores will take the frames from you for collection by the DPI.
Gives you a chance in the $100 draw, might cover some of your tackle costs.

Regards, Tony ;)

notts_so
15-12-2004, 08:39 AM
Writo agnes you talked me into it
My frames are their frames

Escapee
15-12-2004, 10:08 AM
I've checked the list of places where you can drop off the frames are there aren't any in or around Brisbane. ??? ???

Escapee
15-12-2004, 12:19 PM
I've checked the list of places where you can drop off the frames and there are not any in or around Brisbane. ??? ???

agnes_jack
15-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Escapee
I'll find out where you can take them, and let you know tommorrow.

Nott so
I know what your saying, fair call.
But having spoken to the guys who are actually in charge of doing this testing, I believe that it is info that may help us in the long term.
Think of it this way, If no one returns frames, it could be interpreted that we do not have a good mack fisherie. Therefore we need tighter limits to ensure viability.
If we let it be known how healthy the fishery actually is, there should be no reason to tighten the limits.

Regards, Tony

mackmauler
15-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Tony, how about a healthy fishery lets bring ring netting back! :o hope it never happens but history shows what they did to a heathly mackerel stock and I bet the bastards would do it again. I would support them in good faith anyway but still sceptical :-/

JB
15-12-2004, 12:54 PM
Yes ur right rob, even if the mackerel stocks replenish to glory days , ring netting killed it once before and it will kill it again if they were to bring it back in. I think there will be a lot of recreational benifit this year and thus that will filter down to the tackle shops selling more outfits and lures for mackerel etc etc.

Anyways time will only tell how good our season is.

Heath
15-12-2004, 03:11 PM
Yes, it's always in the back of your mind weather the info you provide will be used against you.

On the one hand it could be just a bumper season & on the other it simply shows what ring netting was doing to the stocks.

I feel it is the ring netting, but I guess we will have to wait a few seasons to really make sure.

I have no prob with the line fishing pro's at all. Knock themselves out I say. But ring netting, I hope it never comes back!

Sportfish_5
15-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Everybody seems very excited about the number of mackies this year down here in SEQ. Hope it turns out to be true :P :P :P :P

bugman
16-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Tony,

Gees mate I had already pre spent that $100 as well. I'm guessing I didn't get the cash for last month but it seems one of your customers did - Hope he spends the money in your shop.

Gents get behind this one. It's hard to make critical decisions on the future of a fishing stock without having information on which to base the decision.

Bugman

mini696
16-12-2004, 07:03 AM
I think there will be a lot of recreational benifit this year and thus that will filter down to the tackle shops selling more outfits and lures for mackerel etc etc.

I've already spent my $100 on outfitting my tackle box to catch a few.

Hope they never bring back the ringnetting. Lines YES, nets NO.

agnes_jack
17-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Drop off points for frames!

Reel easy tackle- Scarborough
Highway bait and tackle- Clontarf
Northside marine-Boondall
The tackle shop- Carseldine
Jones tackle-Lutwyche
Mossops-Wooloongabba
Captain blighs- Manly
Water tower bait and tackle- Manly
Budds bait and tackle-Cleveland
All these places will take your frames and put you in the draw for the $100 prizes!

The guys doing these surveys are actually keen rec mackeral fishers themselves, last thing they want is to close down their own fishery. A healthy recovery from the ring netting also shows the damage it was causing, and the need to stop that damage from occuring again.

Regards, Tony

Heath
17-12-2004, 05:11 AM
Soo true Tony. People, including myself tend to forget about the good it will do. I think people think sceptical when its a Government department wanting that sort of info.

Too bad there arn't any collection points on the coast.

I provided some spaniard frames to James Cook Uni at Townsville a while back, they were doing a similar study & the data was very interesting.

agnes_jack
17-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Guys
This is the full list.
They can also arrange pick-up from your home if there are no drop off points close by!
Northern Angler - Edmonton
Got One Cairns - Westcourt
Erskines Tackle Shop - Parramatta Park
Cairns Tackle & Bait Shop - Bungalow
Bransfords Tackle Shop - Clifton Beach
Barron River Tackle - Stratford
Innisfail Tackle & Sports - Innisfail
Coconut Village Caravan Park - Mission Beach
Kurramine Beach Bp Bait & tackle - Kurramine Beach
Barrier Reef Tackle Villiage - Tully
Fishing Warehouse - Townsville
Pro Tackle - Airlie Beach
Proserpine Bait & Tackle - Proserpine
Fishing World Mackay - Mackay
Northside Fishing Centre - North Mackay
Sarina Bait Supplies - Sarina
Seabreeze Service Station - Yeppoon
Rosslyn Bay Kiosk - Rosslyn Bay
Bluefin Sports - Rockhampton
Pats Tackle World - Gladstone
Agnes Water/1770 Bait & Tackle - Agnes Water
Saltys - Bundaberg
Fishermans Corner - Hervey Bay
Fishermans Warehouse - Gympie
Fraser Coast Rod & Reel - Hervey Bay
Barra Jacks - Noosaville
Davos Bait & Tackle - Noosaville
Hooked on Angling and Outdoors - Tewantin
Pedros Bait & Tackle Shop - Tewantin
Surfair Traders - Marcoola
Maroochydore Fishing World - Maroochydore
Flahertys Fish and Boat Gear - Mooloolaba
Kiawana Bait & Tackle - Buddina
Kawana Fishing World - Minyama
Caloundra Fishing World - Caloundra
Reel Easy Tackle - Scarborough
Highway Bait & Tackle - Clontarf
Northside Marine - Boondall
The Tackle Shop - Carseldine
Jones Tackle - Lutwyche
Mossops - Woolloongabba
Captain Blighs - Manly
Water Tower Bait & Tackle - Manly
Budds Bait & Tackle - Cleveland
Doug Burts Fishing Tackle World - Labrador
Southport Fishing & Dive Centre - Southport
Gold Coast Fishing Tackle - Southport
Miami Bait & Tackle - Miami
Regards, Tony

Heath
17-12-2004, 09:05 AM
I missed the GC ones in the list 8)

At least I can donate a few now. I hope them shops have big freezers 8) 8) 8)

dfox
17-12-2004, 10:48 AM
My mate just rang up and said he,d won a $100 voucher ;D ;D,lucky bugger!

agnes_jack
17-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Foxy
Yeah, they are actually handing out the prizes.
Pete Stevens won one a few days ago.

Regards, Tony

BigE
17-12-2004, 04:33 PM
dfox get your mate to buy some reel lube ............ i have a feeling we may need some to ease the pain us mackie fishers are about to recieve....... just my opinion....

agnes_jack
23-12-2004, 04:40 AM
Another drop off point for the frames!

Boatshed bait and tackle-thrower drive Currumbin.

Regards, Tony