PDA

View Full Version : worm farm info...

paz
22-12-2004, 05:34 PM
i guess this is the place for this :-/....i need some ideas on worm farms,,my plans are to get an old tub,,,fill it with some river soil and put the worms we dig locally(anything up to 10" and as thick as ya finger :o) in it so i have a supply on tap...what i want to know is what to put in(scraps etc) and what not to...should it be kept wet or damp??anything really,,,so if ya got one,,,tell me what it is and what i should be doing ;)....
paz

Derek Bullock
22-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Worm raising is starting to become a big thing these days. There is a very good discussion forum on worm farming at http://www.squirmy-worms.com/discus/messages/11/11.html?1102003447

I reckon you may get some help there.

Cheers.

Derek

paz
22-12-2004, 05:45 PM
;D thanks mate,,,reading it right now ;)
paz

Derek Bullock
22-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Bit more info that may be useful.

http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/envirom/wormfarm.htm

Cerek

Mick
23-12-2004, 08:26 AM
My girlfriend had a worm farm happening for a few months, but unfortunately they died in the heat......(Central / North Qld). I might of sprayed a bit of mortein in the area too but don't tell her that!

Tips to keep them going.......all vegetable scraps are good - no onion, citrus, meat or dairy products. My girlfriend did add water as the weather got warmer to keep them moist...

They need to be kept in a cool shady spot.

There are lots of different ideas/methods etc for worm farming - plenty of info on the internet as Derek has mentioned.

paz
23-12-2004, 10:13 AM
from what i have read so far the idea of me digging my own river worms wont be real good,,,most worms in a farm are mulching worms(tigers etc),,so might have to look into it some more....eother that or just get a tub and do it and see what happens......
paz

Fletch
23-12-2004, 02:39 PM
Paz,

The keys to keeping worms are simple and have all been stated in one way or another, the temperature is the real issue, not only will the temp kill the worms but it will also prevent them from reproducing at lower levels. The food is pretty variable, however, I would strongly recommend that you stayed away from anything slightly acidic (citrus, Onion etc are a sure fire way to kill the little guys). You normally have to remove the cast from the bottom of the bed unless you use a series of trays like in the small domestic worm farms. So the tub might not be such a good idea unless you plan to harvest the worms and clear the tub and start again regularly. If you do, stop feeding the little suckers for a couple of days and then feed them and harvest a few hours later, they will head to the top (where the food is) and be easier to collect. The lack of food will also make them lay eggs so it is a good way to keep your population healthy. When restarting it is important to have a reasonable volume of material in the bottom as the worms will head down to escape the heat. You are correct about the worm species, composting worms (reds and tigers and the african night crawler) are rarely ever found in the back yard. The worms require a much higher level of organic material than your standard garden worms. Hope this helps.

Fletch

PNG1M
25-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Wow, I think I'm resurrecting this thread from 2004??

I'll also be reading the info on the suggested sites above.
I am wondering if any ausfishers out there have worm farms that you use specifically as a way to generate your own bait?

I am also thinking of doing the worm farm thingy and did some research about the best types of worms.
The ones that seem to be most suitable are either African Night Crawlers or European Night Crawlers (sounds like scary movie titles to me)

Those worms are apparently longer & thicker and quite durable whereas the regular compost worms are a bit on the tiny side.

So, does anyone have any experience and/or opinions about the best kind of worm to raise in worm farms for bait (ie for yellowbelly etc)

Cheers.

Gon Fishun
25-09-2011, 01:51 PM
G'day
Pick a nice shady spot on the ground or in the vegy patch, loosen the soil about 3ft x 3ft, make a border about 12 to 18 inches high, throw in some good compost soil with garden worms, lots of vegy scraps, lettuce banana peel etc. no onion etc as said earlier, cover with compost and a couple of heavy hessian bags. Keep the bags moist. Worms love it and will grow big like the night crawlers. If it cops to much sun put up a leen to with shade cloth.;D
Cheers.

PNG1M
25-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Okey dokey...I'll be giving that a burl. Have already accessed a few worm suppliers online. They have a few varieties to choose from including the African & European Night Crawlers.

From what I read, the European ones are best as they are hardy and more tolerant to temperature variations, plus they apparently keep wiggling for a fair while on the hook.

Cheers.