PDA

View Full Version : Red Emperor - Gladstone Shipping Channel

macdwp01
22-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Hey, i mate of mine was doing some diving out at the shipping channel and he reckons he saw red emperor around on the bottom around the structure. Has anyone heard of this.

dfox
22-12-2004, 01:15 PM
Should be plenty of them up there, we get plenty of small ones in moreton bay around the northern parts of the shiping channel, watch the ships thou!

Needmorerum
22-12-2004, 04:57 PM
A few questions macdwp01...

1. From Gladrock are you? If so what sort of fishing do you do? We have a number of people from the CQ area part of Ausfish.

2. I've never tried the shipping channel. Never been game enough to stop in it and fish. Always bloody rough. Where abouts in the channel, it goes for a fair distance.

3. What was your mate doing diving the channel. I wouldn't have thought this to be to safe.

Corry

macdwp01
22-12-2004, 07:27 PM
A few questions macdwp01...

1. From Gladrock are you? If so what sort of fishing do you do? We have a number of people from the CQ area part of Ausfish.

2. I've never tried the shipping channel. Never been game enough to stop in it and fish. Always bloody rough. Where abouts in the channel, it goes for a fair distance.

3. What was your mate doing diving the channel. I wouldn't have thought this to be to safe.

Corry
Mate i fish gladstone, 1770, estuary and reef. Let me rephrase it, he tells we he saw red emperor in the shipping channel and surrounding leads. Obviously, the red emperor would be there if there was structure ie, markers, small patches of reef, shoals , etc. Whether the reds are there all the time is another story, they could well have been on the move. Mate its just a thought.

macdwp01
22-12-2004, 07:29 PM
Also mate, if i knew where abouts in the channel i would pm you. You would think it would be quite a far way out in the channel.

devocean
23-12-2004, 02:28 PM
I catch heaps of reds in the shipping channels off Lucinda. Need live live bait (squid) for the big ones though or else you will catch small and big mouth nannygai instead. I fish in small rises of the floor they dont have to be much and I also use the sounder to see the fish as they usually school up.

However this can be a dangerous place to fish at night as big ships use these channels. Had an instance once at Lucinda where we saw a green light afair way off and another light across from it. We though they were 2 boats but they turned out to be one big one and had to shift. These big boats wil not move around you. But it is a top spot.

Devocean

macdwp01
23-12-2004, 03:08 PM
Does anyone know anything else about catching reef fish in shipping channels. Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated. :D

Volvo
24-12-2004, 05:51 AM
;D Fishing the Shipping Channels can end up bein somewhat hazardous for the unwary ey.. Now in all honesty, if there were Reds to be caught in the Channel n not sayin there aint but can you imagine the boats bobbin around there come weekends :o...
Reds can be found in all sorts of places peoples least likely look n most times drive straight over them on their way to their particular happy hunting grounds lol..
Now back to the shipping Channels.......Second thoughts :-X...
Cheers

Member101
26-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Not so much reef fish, but the like of cobia, spaniards and MASSIVE Shovel nose rays, drift as close as you can to the first port marker coming into the channel. Have seen people tied off to it but im pretty sure thats illegal.

Cheers
Steve

P.S. Dont go there on saturday mornings though. thats my time. ;)

Steve B
26-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Not so much reef fish, but the like of cobia, spaniards and MASSIVE Shovel nose rays, drift as close as you can to the first port marker coming into the channel. Have seen people tied off to it but im pretty sure thats illegal.

Cheers
Steve

P.S. Dont go there on saturday mornings though. thats my time. ;)

Steve, Dont think you would have to worry about him fishin there Sat morning!.....this thread is 6 years old!! check out the dates of the posts!

Cheers Steve:)

trueblue
26-05-2010, 11:32 PM
the original post might be 6 years old, but reminds me of a strange anomaly that I had in a local SEQ shipping channel within this last year - caught a baby red emp and a baby squire, both about 100mm long on a bait jig on the same drop. there were no yakkas or slimies anywhere to be found, and kept getting baby squire, and then on one drop got the wee little red emp as well. blew me away, considering where I was

cheers

Mick

NEWBY
27-05-2010, 07:20 AM
If there are Reds in the shipping channel in Gladstone, VOLVO would know about it....
Come on Pete, give it up mate......
Are they there???

Rainbowrunner
05-06-2010, 03:24 AM
there is reds inside Gladstone Harbour, weve caught them undersize around QAL wharf and the meatworks jetty, also on bait jigs