PDA

View Full Version : wathumba creek  frasier

redballoon
22-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Hi all,

Im heading to Wathamba creek for a few days. Going in 4wd and camping . I think theres a camp ground , and does one has to stay in it.

Is this true?

and are the camps on the river? so if i was keen i could have a line in, and still be at camp. Not off fishing the whole time . That could keep mrs happy.
Any crabs up that way .

thanks all and Drive safe

Derek Bullock
22-12-2004, 04:42 PM
Suggest you look at the EPA site for camping on Fraser. #There are only 20 sites at Wathumba although you can camp along the beach. There is also no water there anymore.

https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks/iaparks/gds/IAGDS030.do

AND

https://www.epa.qld.gov.au/parks/iaparks/gds/IAGDS020.do?parkId=130

COMPLETE FIRE BAN ON FRASER AT THE MOMENT

Cheers

Derek

redballoon
22-12-2004, 04:53 PM
True no water at withumba creek ,i have pics of small yachats in it .

thanks

Derek Bullock
22-12-2004, 04:57 PM
No drinking water.

Derek

mackmauler
22-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Derek, I used to look forward to the cold shower there, used to be a few taps scattered around as well. been 12 months since my last visit and to think they make you pay and are taking away even basic facilities!!!! >:( >:(

crabs are hit and miss, mainly miss, overfished.
rob

Derek Bullock
22-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Thats what I thought as well but this is an extract from the EPA Site:

"Wathumba
Main formed campground on west coast. Twenty sites in grassed, open area with views along Wathumba estuary and Great Sandy Straits. Extensive mangroves nearby; mosquitoes and sandflies, especially in warmer wetter months. Good for boat users. Visitors are advised to bring their own drinking water as drinking water is no longer available at this site."

Cheers

Derek

Morlers
22-12-2004, 06:50 PM
Beware the sand flies at dusk, dawn and overcast damp days. Take heaps of Rid (or Bushmans) and keep the vitamin B up (preferably in the little brown stubbies or cans) ;D

:) :)

Morlers

tshort
23-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Fantastic spot. Sandflies are bad morning and afternoon. May still be showers etc. just not potable water? The showers used to be so cold you could hardly stand it. Spent 20 days there a couple of years ago with the boat tied up outside the camp, magic. Not all sites are directly on the creek but not far off anyway. At low tide you can walk and wade over to Platapus bay. Camp beside us caught mud crabs on the sand flats in front of the camp grounds at low tide at night using a torch and stick.

Wezza
23-12-2004, 07:17 AM
Oh did anyone mention the Sand flies and Mozzies??? ;D ;D

GBC
25-12-2004, 03:38 AM
Wathumba is beautiful, water can be got by spear along the beach or if you are lazy like me just drive down to the awinya area - there are natural springs on the beach just north of there, or walk thru the creek and into the mangroves at low tide - creek turns back on itself and supplies good sweet water up there. Been blowing North for a while now so watch the weed on the beach - go with someone who knows the first time if you don't cause it gets covered with sand every tide and becomes a great fourby trap. Enjoy - GBC