PDA

View Full Version : pottys wont go in?

steve
23-12-2004, 10:02 AM
hey guys how r u all?im a new member on this site and looken 4 a bit of help as im an unable to fish out side 4 health reasons at the moment im hitten lake illawarra for flathead.but im hard up gettin the potties 2go into my trap.last time i used it i let a heap of them go because i had to many now they just swim around the top of the trap.what am i doin rong? steve..... ???

fishsmith
23-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Mate,we use a cast net up here.......... ;D

ba229
23-12-2004, 11:41 AM
yeh nice work fishsmith. Keep reminding us poor NSW fishermen.

what sort of trap are you using and i might be able to help you out.

personally i have had no luck with the bought ones of any type and now i use a homemade trap that does the trick every time.

steve
23-12-2004, 12:30 PM
yeh thats ok up north but if we use nets down here we go 2 jail,and blinky i just use a 2lrt juice bottle. have u got any other ideas 4 me?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-12-2004, 02:39 PM
THE eeer ... NEVERFAIL MULLET TRAP (for want of a better name)

take one of those clear upside down polycarbonate 15 / 20l springwater containers that sit on a cooler.
trim the neck off,
cut the entire top (the end with the neck) off a few cm down the side,
turn the top around and insert it into the bottle so the edges line up
drill holes at 4 points around the edge & tie together with cable ties on 2 & clips on the others
drill more holes all over it so water can flow thru

these catch not just potties poddies but mullet to about 20cm - you need about 1kg of lead in a current flow + sand to keep stable

chris

nisrol
23-12-2004, 05:23 PM
HEY chris did you do much drawing when you went to school or are you making up for it now ? LOL ( hhmmmmmm good drawing )

cheers andy

steve
24-12-2004, 04:24 AM
thanks heaps boys 4 ya help sorry bout my spelling mistake chris.ill go try the new trap n try get some PODDIES. :-*. just 1 more thing does any 1 fish down south. ie wollongong and south of there?

wacco_fozzy
24-12-2004, 04:35 AM
That's great trap Chris, now all I have to do is distract the dude that delivers the water bottles to the office here and snaffle a container.

On the other hand, with the place shut down over Christmas, maybe I can grab the cooler bootle from on top. Hmm..

ba229
24-12-2004, 06:16 AM
In NSW mullet have 2 size limits.

they have to be UNDER 15cm or OVER 30cm. Anything inbetween can't be kept.

Here are some pictures of my homemade trap. Easy to make and very effective.

Note all the lead in the bottom. This is the bare minimum cause it still moves a bit if boats are around.

ba229
24-12-2004, 06:17 AM
:)

devocean
24-12-2004, 09:28 AM
I take my hat of to you guys because I would have no idea how to catch mullet without a net. Just a qucik question to you southern blokes, do you think the absence of nets has improved the quality and population of bait fish such as mullet?

steve
24-12-2004, 11:01 AM
shit yeh.down in lake illawara the pro"s still net but there not aloud in the main channel,now u can pull up any were in the lake and see small bait fish every where,same as outside fishen when my oldman first stared taken me out i had never seen wat a kingy looked like now 10years later we can pull up any were and catch a few rats and the odd 1or 2 up to10kg"S they stopped the fish traps n now there slowly comen back.

pezza
25-12-2004, 11:05 AM
My father lived at Harrington for many years and caught a lot of flathead using poddy mullet. His sure fire method of catching them was to set his trap in front of Harrington pub, have 4 schooners and then checked the trap. Never failed.