PDA

View Full Version : Not Impressed

Zeeke
25-12-2004, 04:07 AM
Dont know if it is a grey nurse.. i cant tell by the way the shark is laying.. but for a severely protected shark, i sure as hell wouldnt be sprouting off about catching one! even if its in Maroochy River.. if you cant read the fine print, its a 14yr old kid who claims to have caught a 2m shark that he has "identified" as a Grey Nurse, caught on a stingray

Pitty he's 14.. would love to see him get shreded by the DPI

Tim

Dirty_Mole
25-12-2004, 04:13 AM
I may be 14 but im not that stupid if it was a protected shark i would put it back to live another day, i also have a feeling i know that last name.

cheers sam,

mini696
25-12-2004, 04:17 AM
It was caught on a set line >:(

Zeeke
25-12-2004, 04:25 AM
ah yes, forgot to mention that, bloody set lines in salt water... >:( >:( >:( >:(

Tim

baldyhead
25-12-2004, 04:50 AM
Sooooooo, What's wrong with set lines in salt water M8?

Zeeke
25-12-2004, 05:02 AM
Cant find it on the DPI website, but im 90% sure that setlining in saltwater is illegal, it is legal in freshwater but in saltwater its a different story

Tim

Mick
25-12-2004, 05:05 AM
Don't worry Zeeke, under the criminal code, a person aged 14 can be liable for any offence if the person has been warned before or can be proved to have known better. Might not carry the same punishment as an adult, but can still be held liable.
I would LOVE to have my way with anyone intentionaly tageting a grey nurse!
A harmless shark on the verge of extinction.

agnes_jack
25-12-2004, 05:24 AM
Zeeke
Just looking at the photo, I doubt that it is a grey nurse.

Regards, Tony

Zeeke
25-12-2004, 05:27 AM
i doubt it is too Tony.. but.. for the mere fact, you sure as hell wouldnt brag about it! "I think its a grey nurse, ill kill it anyways!"

Tim

mackmauler
25-12-2004, 05:32 AM
its a whaler anyway. boys will be boys ;D

mini696
25-12-2004, 05:36 AM
All I can find on set lines is they are legal. But you have to have your name and phone number on it, maybe your address too.

Heath
25-12-2004, 05:38 AM
Yeah,

I reckon its a Bull Shark. The shark looks too solid for a nurse.

But the stupid newspaper should know better.

Zeeke
25-12-2004, 05:42 AM
yes, very stupid, for the last week or so, nearly every paper has had some bullshit about sharks, yesterday it was a shark deterring device for surfers... everytime there is a shark attack, they drag out OLD articles, get new photos and sprout the same crap over and over.. ive seen plenty of sharks in maroochy river, especially in one very populated area... the creek that runs through Sunshine Plaza, its one of my fishing haunts.. they have kids who hire out plastic paddle boats and stuff.. now they'll be doing a shock scare on them

Tim

Gorilla_in_Manila
25-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Have a look here;
http://www.amol.org.au/collection/hostedwebs/fish/key/couplet212.htm
I'm with Rob, the longer pointed lower half of the tail looks more like a whaler to me.
Crap reporting.
Cheers
Jeff

Mick
25-12-2004, 06:04 AM
Dam right Zeeke! I am sick of it!

How silly is this - Our shark nets (that are not designed to deter sharks from our beaches) kill 35 different marine creatures for every shark that a net catches. In the last 15 years, 15 000 marine animals have been killed because of shark nets. Shark attacks on humans don't increase or decrease because of our nets, and some believe they actualy increase because nets work as a food sorce for sharks, hence attracting larger sgarks to areas of coast that have nets installed.
35% of sharks caught in nets are caught on the beach side, meaning that the sharks have come into shallow water, had a look, left without attacking a human, and have paid the ultimate price.
2 female mature grey nurses were caught in nets off Sydney this year, weeks after the netting program started. The estimated population of grey nurses on the east coast of australia is 300. So we have just killed off just under 1% of the east coast population of grey nurse sharks. This is the equivilent of killing about 5 thousand domesticated dogs in Australia in terms of percentage of total population.
We still have shark nets operating in months that have not seen a beach shark attack in the history of recording shark attacks!
Sorry guys, this is a sensitive topic for me and I have flown off the handle a bit.
For the record, I am a water man. I surf, fish, free dive, scuba dive, ocean swim, sailboard, surf ski, am a former surf life saver and absolutely love the ocean!
I say can the nets!!!!!!!!!
If you are too scared of sharks, stay out of the ocean!
African people must laugh at us. They deal with more deadly animals on a day to day basis then anyone, and they never complain!

Mick

TOLGA
25-12-2004, 06:08 AM
Looks like a whaler i think that grey nurses have two dorsal fins the same size, this shark crap happens every year, as if it was something new!

raefpud
25-12-2004, 06:13 AM
I reckon someone ought to ram a hook up that punk ass kids bum and set him out into the maroochy river overnight. Stupid kid shouldnt be praised for waking up to find a half dead shark on the end of a rope ???

devocean
25-12-2004, 07:28 AM
Mate that is just the media talking. Guy gets killed ny shark a week ago they plaster every space they can with shark stories. Newspapers sell anything they can so I wouldnt take to much notice about anything that comes out a newspaper.

devocean
25-12-2004, 07:29 AM
As for setlines I do belive they are legal as long as you are wityhin 20 metres of them

cooky
25-12-2004, 08:24 AM
journalists? 'beast' heh?

DICER
25-12-2004, 10:01 AM
it's a whaler NOT a grey nurse. After diving in the Mooloolaba aquarium and being upclose with nurses - definitely not a grey nurse.

I think the newspaper are making the meal here. Editors and reporters can and do overstate, sensationalize or hype a story for their own benefit.

As for being shredded by the DPI, does the 14 yr old boy know what he's doing? Probably not.

My two blobs worth.

DICER

DICER
25-12-2004, 10:09 AM
Mick, where do you get your data from?

I also I don't think the nets do much good for both sharks and other marine life.

Do they keep logs of what's caught in the shark nets?

DICER

ba229
25-12-2004, 10:21 AM
He is a kid who likes to fish.

Whats the problem with that?

jeffo
25-12-2004, 10:35 AM
dicer- i think you would find that everything caught in the shark nets is recorded.
as for not knowing what hes doing. i reckon he knows EXACTLY what hes doing... sharks eat sting rays... using a circle hook (much harder for a fish to get off once hooked- perfect for set lines)... why they put it in the paper as a nurse is beyond me. but as long as set lines are legal. good on the young fella, although id rather see him out there chasing it up and down the river on 8kg tackle :)

ba229
25-12-2004, 10:42 AM
yeh really... he is out fishing and having fun.

better than having him down the local shopping mall or cinemas with 16 of his mates causing trouble.

if the issue is setlining and it is legal then he is not doing anything wrong.

if it is a grey nurse he has done well to catch one of the last 300 left. Somehow i doubt it is a grey nurse with those odds stacked against him.

i do agree that some sport added to his fishing style may be more of a test but he will learn.

mini696
25-12-2004, 10:50 AM
The story reads more as a warning "There are sharks in the water" Oooo Scary!! ::)

fishsmith
25-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Setlines should be outlawed Nation wide fresh and salt.
As for the young fella catching a bull shark good on him.The prospect of landing a shark is part of testing ones mettle as fisherman when your a young bloke.Its something a few of us have done and probably still do from time to time....,"SETLINES" are the real issue!! :-*

baldyhead
25-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Setlines should be outlawed Nation wide fresh and salt.

How about some valid reasons for your statement M8?

Dug
25-12-2004, 12:34 PM
D'oh sharks in salt water I never would have guessed that one! Thank goodness the free and unbiased press keeps us informed ::)

Jeremy87
25-12-2004, 05:06 PM
I love it how they always show footage of a nurse in an aquarium whenever there is an attack. It's nice that they're giving the public an accurate perseption of dangerous animals. We have to remember that we are educated on this matter. I was surprised how many people were happy that a snake incapable of inflicting a dangerous bite was dead on this post. It just puts it into perspective.

fishsmith
25-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Baldyhead as far as discussing valid reasons against "setlinening " i'll bring it up in a thread dedicated to that subject alone after chrissy, as I beleive this subject deserves discussion...In the meantime have a merry and safe chrissy .....Cheers smithy... ;) :D ;D

PinHead
25-12-2004, 06:56 PM
Dam right Zeeke! I am sick of it!

How silly is this - Our shark nets (that are not designed to deter sharks from our beaches) kill 35 different marine creatures for every shark that a net catches. In the last 15 years, 15 000 marine animals have been killed because of shark nets. Shark attacks on humans don't increase or decrease because of our nets, and some believe they actualy increase because nets work as a food sorce for sharks, hence attracting larger sgarks to areas of coast that have nets installed.
35% of sharks caught in nets are caught on the beach side, meaning that the sharks have come into shallow water, had a look, left without attacking a human, and have paid the ultimate price.
2 female mature grey nurses were caught in nets off Sydney this year, weeks after the netting program started. The estimated population of grey nurses on the east coast of australia is 300. So we have just killed off just under 1% of the east coast population of grey nurse sharks. This is the equivilent of killing about 5 thousand domesticated dogs in Australia in terms of percentage of total population.
We still have shark nets operating in months that have not seen a beach shark attack in the history of recording shark attacks!
Sorry guys, this is a sensitive topic for me and I have flown off the handle a bit.
For the record, I am a water man. I surf, fish, free dive, scuba dive, ocean swim, sailboard, surf ski, am a former surf life saver and absolutely love the ocean!
I say can the nets!!!!!!!!!
If you are too scared of sharks, stay out of the ocean!
African people must laugh at us. They deal with more deadly animals on a day to day basis then anyone, and they never complain!

Mick

There has not been one attack recorded in the water at a beach where shark nets are installed...that will do me thanks...always easy to can the nets but ask the parents of the kid taken in SA if they would prefer to have their son back..very easy to say ban the nets but when ones own family is involved I think it is a different story then.

As for Africans, I have a mate from Jo'burg...he has never seen a wild animal there so I wonder what your point is there.

DICER
25-12-2004, 07:13 PM
true .... he probably did know what he was doing + better chasing it on 8kg

anyway have fun + merry christmas!!!

DICER

snapperhead
25-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Isin't there more people killed by bees each year pinhead why don't we just net trap kill everything that is a threat and be done with it and wrap ourselves in bubble wrap. There are sharks in the water thats were they live and they kill stuff everyone knows that.Many speeding car drivers kill each year should we kill anyone caught speeding as that what these nets are doing killing anything that swims near them. There is risk in everything you do if you want to go swimming and are not prepaired to take the risk swim in a pool. When sharks start roaming the streets killing then we should look at doing something. So as long as they stay in the water I am happy.

roz
27-12-2004, 10:35 AM
There is absolutely no merit in catching anything on a set line, it is not a sporting contest, as far as I am concerned it is not in the spirit of the sport of fishing.
Roz.

Big_Kev
27-12-2004, 03:37 PM
#I was surprised how many people were happy that a snake incapable of inflicting a dangerous bite was dead on this post. #It just puts it into perspective.

I did not read anyone that said they would senslessly kill the snake Jeremy, unlike here where the shark seems to have been killed for no apparent reason. :)

baldyhead
27-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Roz there are a hell of a lot of people who DO NOT FISH FOR SPORT. They fish to feed themselves and their family.
Would you deny these people the right to catch fish to feed their family?
baldy

Big_Kev
27-12-2004, 05:18 PM
Baldy I don't think Roz is denying any rights to catch fish.
Only that she does not see set lines as being in the spirit of a sporting fisherman.
If the kid caught the shark for food then that is great, but I did not read that.
Cheers Kev.

roz
28-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Baldy,
I take your point and would never deny anybody on the bones of their a*se a feed of fish, but that did'nt seem to be the case there.
Thanx Reel Hard.
Regards Roz.

Remo
28-12-2004, 07:04 PM
I was speaking to one the surf club captain on the gold coast awhile ago, regarding the shark nets on the gold coast and how he believes that they are ineffective as sharks still swim in and out.
So i asked him why they dont remove them, and his answer shocked me. The only reason they are still there is that the tourism depart feel that it would deter tourists from heading to the beach, because they feel safe that nets are there.

One would think education would be go in this situation, and get rid of those bloody nets off the coasts.

Mick
30-12-2004, 04:28 AM
Pin head,

One man in Africa that hasn't seen a wild animal? Geez man, what a shock! You might not believe me when I say this but there are some people living outside of jo'burg.

As for the parents of the shark attack victim in south Oz, my deepest condolences go out to them and to all of his family and friends.
My point is, the current adopted method of shark control is ridiculous and I stand by my point of getting rid of all shark nets.
I think it is typical of humans to have the same view you do.
(Sarcastialy said) - We are humans, lets kill everything that could possibly harm us, wrap ourselves in cotton wool and live til we are 200 and can't control our bladders or remember our grandchildrens first names.
What a crock! Man up!

Mick
30-12-2004, 04:33 AM
Thanks snapperhead, I didn't read your post until I posted my reply to pinhead's comments. I agree with you totally.