PDA

View Full Version : Boats fishing in green zone. Do what?

whiteman
28-12-2004, 05:36 AM
You're moving through a green zone (e.g. Cattle Creek, north of Townsville) and you see boats fishing (3 in this case). What do you do?

- ignore it and feel good that someone is ignoring GBRMPA
- go over and tell them (do they carry weapons?)
- take their boat numbers and tell some sort of authority
- do nothing

Any suggestions?

bugman
28-12-2004, 05:49 AM
Whiteman,

Had the exact same issue happen to me last Thursday.

Flinders reef out off Brissy has a 50m protection zone and a 200m buffer zone which means no fishing 250m from the exposed reef.

We were snorkelling and diving so tied up on one of the permanent moorings about 20m from the exposed reef. About 8m away from us was a boat with 5 blokes anchored to the coral bottom doing some fishing. They were glaring at us because we had come in so close to them. I didn't say anything but put out the mermaid line, which went extremely close to their floating lines, as everyone on our boat geared up and jumped overboard. Even watched the other boat pull in a nice snapper as I was getting ready.

I jumped in and swam under my boat coming up on their side. I snorkelled over to them and popped up beside the gunwhale. I got a Gday from the bloke on that side - I said Gday back. In a very friendly manner (seriously) I told them about the Green zone and the restrictions. I said I wouldn't report them but I pointed out the two big charter dive boats heading our way and said it was probably in their best interests to move on. They even said thanks - so I guess they were unaware of the regs.

By the time I'd got back to the other side of my boat they were gone.

I actually felt good about it for two reasons.

1: I was doing the right thing in helping to protect that obviously sensitive area.
2: I probably saved these guys (who may have been ignorant of the rules) a toungue lashing from the dive operators and a probable fine after being reported.

Bugman

nonibbles
28-12-2004, 05:52 AM
I was speaking to an inspector last week and this type of scenrio was spoken about. He suggested to let them know (in this case, GBRMPA) - damn I disn't get the number.
Beware if you ever do intend to try them out! They will pay anybody with a boat in survey to take them on board/lease the vessel and use it to catch "poachers" (his words).
If I knew the number I'd ring when I got back from my fishing trip and just say there were 3 boats fishing. If they did it again then they might get caught.

NQCairns
28-12-2004, 07:10 AM
MMmmm....my selective input goggles will get worn every trip iin this day and age, although I will do a Bugman every chance I get. Something along these lines, G'Dat Mate, look I dont give a shit and good onya if you are taking the chance but this area..Yada Yada Yada

devocean
30-12-2004, 12:39 PM
Keep on driving your boat as these guys wil get done eventually. Fishj ins[pectors have some pretty good ariel survelience these days

cooky
30-12-2004, 09:34 PM
personally - I'd do same as bugman. Can't hurt to let them know.

I'm still learning and I 'might' make a mistake too, so give them a break - if they give attitude or don't give a sh*t then report them.

We're not all f**kin fishing / boating gurus

Jeremy
31-12-2004, 03:41 AM
not exactly the same, but I have often seen blokes fishing from the shore on Nth Straddy into Swan Bay at Jumpinpin right under the no fishing sign. I think they are probably Straddy locals. I have reported them to the fishwatch hotline on 2-3 occasions and nothing happens. No-one in the local office or can't respond at this time.

To answer the question, I'd report people for breaking regulations which I think are reasonable, but not those which I don't (eg the GNS protection zones).

Jeremy

Gazza
31-12-2004, 04:34 AM
personally - I'd do same as bugman. #Can't hurt to let them know. #

I'm still learning and I 'might' make a mistake too, so give them a break - if they give attitude or don't give a sh*t then report them.

We're not all f**kin fishing / boating gurus
[smiley=glasses2.gif]
Fair point Cooky [smiley=thumbsup.gif].......should be 'readable' signs placed on the permanent moorings ,for the 'ordinary folk' to r-e-a-d, at a distance.

(don't know how you would do a GNS 1klm radius 'sign' though ??? :-X )

damons33
31-12-2004, 06:31 AM
if you have gps the mpa give out the marks for which mark the centre of these zones then you stay away the distance stated-
and bugman, the 50m rad is for trolling the 200m rad. is for setline fishing not 'combined' as much as that bursts your bubble on the cementco wreck, which is just outside that zone!
hey it seems funny to me people will travel past the trench and western rocks to fish flinders or to stop at flinders instead of hutchies,roberts shoal or smith rock!
unlike the bullyshite down at flat rock with 1.2 km zone i mean ffs'
it should be the same as flinders at worst

ba229
31-12-2004, 08:21 AM
To answer the question, I'd report people for breaking regulations which I think are reasonable, but not those which I don't (eg the GNS protection zones).

Jeremy

Don't want to start an arguement or upset you so take this with a grain of salt.

Regulations that you think are reasonable may be seen by others as not reasonable. And vice versa.

Its a bit like moral beliefs in schools. What some believe is good and moral others don't.

Opens up a huge area of uncertainty.

bugman
31-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Damon,

I thought the buffer zone allowed trolling but on my last look it actually says no fishing. I'm wondering if it was changed in the last update they did on the Park recently.

I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong

Bugman

cooky
31-12-2004, 06:08 PM
Its a bit like moral beliefs in schools. What some believe is good and moral others don't.

Opens up a huge area of uncertainty.

however there is no obligation to report anyone. our taxes pay the authorities to do a job - "penalise people for breaking rules"

If you report someone for something you think is "reasonable" then you can sleep at night. Your perception is your reality.

If I knew that you were trying to avoid meeting all your TAX obligations I just wouldn't feel comfortable reporting you just because you broke a rule. Now if you gave me attitude, then.... ;D

mackmauler
31-12-2004, 06:33 PM
not to forget people should still be in those areas enjoying whatever it is the gpmpa are trying to protect, its nigh on impossible to tell if someone is fishing from the sort of distance one should keep from other boats unless invited through common courtesy. leave the detection to trained professionals I say, or we'll all need one of them come any closer youll need a condom sticker ::)

ba229
31-12-2004, 06:38 PM
however there is no obligation to report anyone. #our taxes pay the authorities to do a job - "penalise people for breaking rules"

If you report someone for something you think is "reasonable" then you can sleep at night. #Your perception is your reality.

The point i was making was:

Why are some rules ok and some not just cause YOUR opinion doesn't agree with ALL the rules.

cooky
31-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Why are some rules ok and some not just cause YOUR opinion doesn't agree with ALL the rules.

BECAUSE I SAID F**KIN SAID SO!!!!!

kidding ;D ;D

ba229
01-01-2005, 06:14 AM
;D

nonibbles
01-01-2005, 07:38 AM
bugman wrote,
"I thought the buffer zone allowed trolling but on my last look it actually says no fishing"

An olive green (buffer) zone allows for trolling but no "line fishing". #

From GBRMPA site:
"The Buffer Zone provides for the protection and conservation of areas of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park in their natural state, while continuing to allow the public to appreciate and enjoy the relatively undisturbed nature of the area. Trolling for pelagic fish species (eg marlins, mackerels, trevallies) is allowed in the Buffer Zone, however most other forms of extractive activities such as bottom fishing are prohibited in this zone. The Buffer Zone makes up approximately 2.9% of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park."

devocean
01-01-2005, 12:56 PM
I have been looking around for a photo I kept of a bloke who got done fishing in a green zone. This thing was taken by a plane over head out the reef and you can just about count the hairs on this guys head. After talking to him about he recklons that coastal surveliance of green zones have iuncreased ten fold in the last year and he would know as a trout pro. He also reckons they will soon be using satellite technology to monitor green zones. So remeber big brother is watching. I wish I could send the photo it is so funny he looks so guilty its not funny